evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Post The Watercooler - Should the Rams trade down?

Should the Rams trade down?
    By Roger Hensley

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: Rams general manager Billy Devaney has said the Rams are willing to listen to offers for the teamís No. 2 overall draft pick. Given the many needs of this team, does it make sense to trade down and accumulate more draft picks or is there a difference-maker the Rams should target with the No. 2?

JIM THOMAS

If ever there was a year to trade down, this is it for the Rams. They need bodies, lots of bodies, to fill starting spots and build up depth on the roster. The ideal situation might be if they could trade down, yet stay in the top 10 and pick up another pick or two along the way.

BERNIE MIKLASZ

It makes great sense to do so, because the Rams have so many holes to fill. But the chance of this happening is highly unlikely, because teams donít want to move up into a much higher money slot. It costs a lot of jack to get the No. 2 overall pick signed, and there simply isnít that much difference (this year) in the 2nd pick and, say, the 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th picks. But sure, there would be some terrific players available if the Rams moved down. Too many to list here. Finding a trade partner is the issue. And I wouldnít want the Rams to drop out of the first 10 or 12 slots in the draft.

JEFF GORDON

Iíd like to see the team take Aaron Curry second overall. But the Rams could deal down and still get an offensive tackle. So, sure, that would make all the sense in the world. The Rams could get a tackle for less money, then add an additional player or two in the later rounds. Since this team needs so many things, dealing out of the No. 2 slot could be a great idea. Detroit is thinking the same thing about the No. 1 overall pick ó but are there teams really looking to move up?

BRYAN BURWELL

If the Rams draft board evaluates the talent available at the top of the draft as non-Pro Bowl caliber starters not worth the price of a No.2 pick, then by all means trade down and accumulate picks. At this stage it is all about valuing potential.

ROGER HENSLEY

Yes, the Rams have many, many needs. Frankly, they have more needs than what can be fulfilled in one draft, so Iím not sure the stockpiling philosophy works here. Every year teams take chances on high draft picks and invariably many of those donít work out. For that reason, I think when you see a surefire stud sitting there and you have a chance to nab him, you do so. I believe there is one of those in this yearís draft, and his name is Aaron Curry. Itís a new day, Rams fans, time to put the Greatest Show to bed and get back to the basics of what consistently brings the most success in the NFL Ė defense. And at the heart of any defense is a middle linebacker that strikes fear in the other team and serves as the glue for an entire unit. Again, I think Curry is that player. Mining a gem at offensive tackle can be a tricky business and it seems there are as many misses as hits in drafting at that position. This draft is deep there Ö the Rams have the talent evaluators now to do the research and find someone later in the draft who can help at offensive tackle. Start on the defensive side of the ball. Start with Curry.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: The Watercooler - Should the Rams trade down?

I am certainly on board with Roger Hensley's line of thinking. There's no doubt in my mind that Aaron Curry is the best player in this draft. And he is also a player of need no matter where we decided to line him up.

Inside or out, he would make the 3rd consecutive stud defensive player for this team via the draft.

Since I believe we are at least two years away from serious play-off contention, it makes a lot of sense to me, for us to continue building a great defense.

No doubt, we need Tackle help, but we could almost certainly grab at least a starting RT in the 2nd round. Phil Loadholt among others, comes to mind as being available when we make our second pick.

And for those thinking there'll be no quality Tackles left when we pick in the 2nd round, I need not remind you that Jason Peters was not even drafted, and somehow he's found his way onto two pro-bowl squads.

Point is, they can be found.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -04-09-2009 at 04:22 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hensley
    I think when you see a surefire stud sitting there and you have a chance to nab him, you do so. I believe there is one of those in this yearís draft, and his name is Aaron Curry. Itís a new day, Rams fans, time to put the Greatest Show to bed and get back to the basics of what consistently brings the most success in the NFL Ė defense. And at the heart of any defense is a middle linebacker that strikes fear in the other team and serves as the glue for an entire unit. Again, I think Curry is that player. Mining a gem at offensive tackle can be a tricky business and it seems there are as many misses as hits in drafting at that position. This draft is deep there Ö the Rams have the talent evaluators now to do the research and find someone later in the draft who can help at offensive tackle. Start on the defensive side of the ball. Start with Curry.
    Apparently, "Hensley" is Latin for "genius". This has to be my favorite paragraph from the entire draft season.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    No doubt, we need Tackle help, but we could almost certainly grab at least a starting RT in the 2nd round. Phil Loadholt among others, comes to mind as being available when we make our second pick.
    Phil Loadholt does not fit the character profile the Rams have established for their prospects. He likely won't be of consideration for the team in the second round because of previous off the field problems.

I would encourage you to examine my article here, as I've broken down some of the second round possibilities for the Rams and the concerns regarding them, as well as concerns regarding the potential for immediate impact for tackles drafted after the third round.

Any feedback you'd be willing to provide in terms of answering the questions I've laid out in that article would be very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    And for those thinking there'll be no quality Tackles left when we pick in the 2nd round, I need not remind you that Jason Peters was not even drafted, and somehow he's found his way onto two pro-bowl squads.

Point is, they can be found.
    Can they be found? Yes. Is it easy to find them? Absolutely not. Are there many of those Peters-types of tackles actually starting in the league right now? No.

If it were as simply as your references to Peters imply, teams wouldn't spend high picks on tackles because they could just find undrafted guys to plug in. But there's a reason we saw a run of eight first round offensive tackles last year, and there's a reason why only two of 32 starting left tackles were from the undrafted ranks. The chances of those players working out and becoming effective starting tackles are much smaller.

Just because they can be found doesn't mean the Rams will successfully find one or should put off looking for one until later because of the rare exception to the rule. Teams have also found sixth-round QBs that have developed into great starters, but that doesn't mean it's a smart draft strategy to just wait until the sixth round to find a QB.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Apparently, "Hensley" is Latin for "genius". This has to be my favorite paragraph from the entire draft season.
    This. ....

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Phil Loadholt does not fit the character profile the Rams have established for their prospects. He likely won't be of consideration for the team in the second round because of previous off the field problems.

I would encourage you to examine my article here, as I've broken down some of the second round possibilities for the Rams and the concerns regarding them, as well as concerns regarding the potential for immediate impact for tackles drafted after the third round.

Any feedback you'd be willing to provide in terms of answering the questions I've laid out in that article would be very much appreciated!

Can they be found? Yes. Is it easy to find them? Absolutely not. Are there many of those Peters-types of tackles actually starting in the league right now? No.

If it were as simply as your references to Peters imply, teams wouldn't spend high picks on tackles because they could just find undrafted guys to plug in. But there's a reason we saw a run of eight first round offensive tackles last year, and there's a reason why only two of 32 starting left tackles were from the undrafted ranks. The chances of those players working out and becoming effective starting tackles are much smaller.

Just because they can be found doesn't mean the Rams will successfully find one or should put off looking for one until later because of the rare exception to the rule. Teams have also found sixth-round QBs that have developed into great starters, but that doesn't mean it's a smart draft strategy to just wait until the sixth round to find a QB.

I guess my main point is, I think the Rams are better served continuing to build a great defense than drafting a Tackle with the 2nd pick at this point.

It doesn't really matter to me which Tackle they draft, I believe building blocks for the Defense is more important for the long term success of this team.

In fact, I would not be the least bit upset if we didn't draft a Tackle until the 3rd rd if the right combination of defensive studs (ILB and NT) are available when we pick. Particularly, given the fact that several NFL starting LTs were drafted after the 1st round.

Beyond that, in an offensive scheme that promises to feature Steven Jackson/(running game) as the focal point, and where the QB is supposed to get rid of the ball quickly in the passing game, the need for a 60 million dollar pass protecting Tackle shrinks considerably in my mind.

I'd say we would be fine with a Tackle with adequate pass protecting skills, but is dominate in the run game. He IMO, can undoubtedly be found after the 1st rd.

Just my opinion Nick.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I like the Rams to go OT in round one. Round 2 is the Best "Avail." Player on Rams board , I would prefer it was a need position NT/DT , DE , WR , MLB , OLB.
    The Rams can spend the rest of the draft taking defence as long as 1 WR is taken.
    With the draft being only 7 rounds it's up to the new FO to find the gems as undrafted freeagents. I hoping several NT's get a shot with the Rams , got to get a stud. It's a bad draft year for NT/DT.
    Rams need a good DE to take over for Little. I don't think any of the backups can make another teams roster.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Don't look for the Broncos to trade up with the Rams. Here's Peter King

I think the Broncos may trade up in the first round, but not for what you think. Not for a quarterback. Maybe for Tyson Jackson, the LSU defensive end who's the best-available 3-4 defensive end in the draft, or Texas pass-rusher Brian Orakpo. I'm not saying it's impossible they'll draft a quarterback, but believe me when I tell you Josh McDaniels likes Kyle Orton a lot