Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Watercooler: Who should Rams take at No. 2?

Who should Rams take at No. 2?
    By Roger Hensley

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: Things may change depending on what the team does in free agency, but if you were drafting for the Rams today whom would you take with the No. 2 overall pick?

JIM THOMAS
    Orlando Pace is nearing the end of his great career. Alex Barron has been an underachiever and is entering the last year of his contract. You’ve got to go tackle. Of the top three prospects, Eugene Monroe of Virginia is the safest pick.

BERNIE MIKLASZ
    Wow, this is a tough one, and the circumstances will change many times between now and the draft. But as we sit here today, my thought would be to spend money on a good free-agent offensive tackle instead of drafting one. And with the 2nd pick, I would take Texas Tech wideout Michael Crabtree. Torry Holt has slowed down. And the kids, Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton, aren’t big, physical receivers. The Rams have a real need in that area, a receiver who can win the tough battles for the football down in the red zone. Crabtree has that ability. I reserve the right to change my mind, but right now I’d go with Crabtree.

BILL COATS
    The Rams have plenty of needs, with the offensive line at the top of the list. So, my pick is Virginia tackle Eugene Monroe. He would give new coach Steve Spagnuolo some nice flexibility in a most vital area.

KATHLEEN NELSON
    Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia: OK, so he lost the Outland Trophy to Andre Smith. Scouts seem to think Monroe’s a bit more seasoned. Smith is skipping his senior year, so I wonder about his maturity, especially since he or his people had improper contact with an agent. The Rams need a lot of help on the offensive line, and they won’t want to wait for a tackle to grow up. Monroe seems likely to be ready sooner.

JEFF GORDON
    Perhaps the best strategy is trading down to take a tackle later in the first round — perhaps Eugene Monroe of Virginia. Of course, many teams are looking to deal down in this draft. Other teams are looking to sacrifice quality for quantity of picks because the top of this draft looks iffy. If a trade-down is impossible, then Alabama tackle Andre Smith looks like a nice building block for a power running game.

GERRY FRALEY
    In the NFL, the name of the game is get to the other guy’s quarterback. Of the top 12 teams for sacks during the regular season, nine reached the playoffs. The Super Bowl teams, Arizona and Pittsburgh, each have seven sacks in the post-season. Arizona did it in three games, one more than Pittsburgh.

New Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo learned that approach when he worked with Philadelphia defensive coordinator Jim Johnson and took it with him to the New York Giants. In the last two seasons, with Spagnuolo as defensive coordinator, the Giants had the second-highest sacks total in the NFL with 95. Dallas led with 105. The Giants’ sacks total does not reflect the mind-sapping beating Spagnoalo’s defense put on quarterbacks. (The Rams had 61 sacks in that span and rarely made life difficult on an opposing quarterback.)

There are several defensive front-seven players with strong pass-rushing skills: Florida State’s Everette Brown, Georgia Tech’s Michael Johnson and Texas’ Brian Orakpo. The Rams will be tempted to go with an offensive lineman such as Alabama tackle Andre Smith, but they would be better served with a pass rusher.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: The Watercooler: Who should Rams take at No. 2?

This guy is a great player -----> Florida State’s Everette Brown

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Everette Brown is a 3-4 end. I know he has the athleticsm to transition to a 4-3 end though.

I would rather take a DT or MLB than a DE in the first round though.

If we want a big, physical receiver, we could get Kenny Britt in the second round (Richtree). I actually think Britt will be a good NFL receiver. This guy is very physical.

Monroe is better than Smith as an all around tackle in my opinion. It's true that Smith could help make lanes for Jackson, but we also need help in our pass protection. Smith will get burned by NFL pass rushers.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Finally, someone in the media agrees with me on Orakpo. This guy is a beast I tell you. Everyone says a pass rush will make our "secondary" better. Let me tell you, Orakpo/Long will be well known throughout the NFC West by OC's. They will not want that matchup at all.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

So I'm going to go out on a limb and say the favorites are...

Monroe and Orakpo.

I prefer Monroe over Orakpo, however putting Orakpo on this line...WOO HOO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Weddle is offline Registered User

I'm thinking Andre Smith, although Spagnuolo's talk about 'team' makes me wonder if the character concerns about him might push us towards Monroe instead? On my Rams Blog I have discussed our pick at 1.2 in depth, please feel free to have a look.