Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Watkins Buzz Great For Rams

It's been assumed that ONLY Jadeveon Clowney is a guy teams would trade up to get at pick 2, and that if Houston takes him, the value of the pick drops.

Yet, with that still up in the air, why is Les Snead's phone already ringing, as GMs call to inquire about a possible move up.

I think the reason is pretty clear. While there has been a solid top ten for awhile, a very good first tier, that tier has now seperated just enough that other targets are in sight for teams that filled big needs in free agency, like Tampa Bay.

Oakland's snafu with Saffold will almost certainly see them taking a tackle, and the guy they want is Greg Robinson, who has seperated himself from Jake Matthews just a bit, because of the huge upside Robisnon has.

Also, Sammie Watkins has clearly seperated himself from the other offensive skill players, so much so that mock drafts have the Rams taking him at #2.
    Without question, I think Cleveland would be at #4 and #26 passing on a QB to take Watkins. They won't trade up though, not giving up the second rounder.

However, the Buccanneers, who love the big splash, picking 7th are probably salivating over Watkins. I don't see the Rams going there, unless the Bucs give up their #2 this year, and #1 next year, because of the way the top guys have seperated a bit.

Instead, they'll use the Bucs to drive the price up for that #2, probably from the Falcons, who are not after Watkins perhaps, but might be looking to get above Oakland for Robinson, or ahead of everyone for Clowney, stilll the most likely scenario.

I just don't see Houston not taking a QB, or trading down themselves perhaps.

Jacksonville could also surprise with Watkins.

I see lots of jockeying to get those guys and khalil Mack too at the very top of round one.

The Rams inactivity thus far seems t o indicate that "trader" Les Snead will live up to his name again, and pull off an astonishing deal.

In the end, I think t he Rams will have a pick in the top 7, one at #13 that could move either way, with a third rounder the bait to move up, and two similar picks in round two.

In this strong draft, that's like four first round picks, talent wise.

I believe the Rams would rather have an extra high #2 and Evans than Watkins, as EVans is a better fit for what they need.

I try and try, and i just can't see Snead and Fisher overlooking some of the unreal skill talent for a lineman with t hose two picks, unless taylor Lewan drops to #13.

I don't think they want a safety either, because they didn't care to sign even the best one out there. If t hey don't value the position, then a second rounder in a deep safety draft through two rounds at least seems more likely to be used. A playmker like Jimmie Ward should be there early in round two, and who knows, maybe one of the top two will fall with all t hese safeties signing and such a great draft at other positions that cost a LOT to sign in FA, like OL, CB, WR.

I think if the Rams don't add a starting CB, like Tarrell Brown say, they could target t hat at #13,only if Justin Gilbert is there. If they are set on a safety, which i doubt, t hey could trade down from #13, which i think might be a mistake, unless t he price paid is very high.

The Rams want to come out with an extra high #2 while still getting two top non QB top tier players, even if they miss out on t hat top three mentioned previously.

Those players are

OT Robinson, Matthews, Lewan
    WR Watkins, Evans
    DE Clowney
    OLB Mack
    CB Gilbert
    TE Ebron

Not sure where QBs fit in, but that seems to be my first real obvious talent split, so if all 3 QBs go top 12, those guys could STILL ge gone by the Rams second pick.

In fact, they probably would be gone.

That's why even a short trade up could really benefit the Rams.

Except for Ebron, any of those players would fit great ina Rams uniform.

So a trade up to 11 would guarantee two of those players would be Rams.

Now, if the players listed are gone, where does it leave the Rams.

It's too early for the third WR, the next CB, a safety, or the next OL Zach Martin.

It would see in that scenario, a trade down would be the best way to go.

Hopefully, a combo of Evans and Mack, or Evans and Matthews could happen without any move, but it's gonna take a surprise pick in t he top 12 for the Rams to have that happen.

trying to think who that guy could be.

Could be A. Barr, who ran a 4.5, but it would have to be a 3-4 team.

Could be David Carr, who teams are said to be high on. QBs have surprised before.

But that's pretty much it, so Rams fans need to start rooting for Barr to dazzle scouts of 3-4 teams.

There will be teams looking to deal to that top 12 other than the Rams, because they also see the drop after those top guys mentioned.

If Ebron is the guy who drops, the Rams will get trade offers at #13 as well.

I could see Snead looking at this and deciding to get the big splash at say 6, and then trade down at #13 like last year to end up with three second rounders plus from the two deals. I think he'd love FIVE top 50 picks in THIS draft.

Barry Waller

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Re: Watkins Buzz Great For Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I could see Snead looking at this and deciding to get the big splash at say 6, and then trade down at #13 like last year to end up with three second rounders plus from the two deals. I think he'd love FIVE top 50 picks in THIS draft.
    Would love to see this happen and anyone that takes Watkins at #2 after a trade up will regret it later on, but I hope they do.

turbofargo is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    Would love to see this happen and anyone that takes Watkins at #2 after a trade up will regret it later on, but I hope they do.
    Why would they regret taking the WR who by many think is the best out of a really good crop, outside of losing picks??

kman is offline Registered User

I would love Watkins at any pick...we haven't a true #1 since Torry..Its time..