Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bing69
  • 1 Post By ZiaRam
  • 1 Post By rams_man13

Thread: We could land Wallace...if....

Bing69 is offline Registered User

We could land Wallace...if....

Heres a thought, say we do a deal with the Browns, get the 4th pick, 22nd pick etc. Now, Wallace is tendered with a 1st rounder, would anyone do that deal with the 22nd pick?

If we miss out on Blackmon for whatever reason for example the front office value Claiborne more, and keep in mind the players that would be available at 22nd, Wallace may be much better value down there.....
    39WillRunYaOva likes this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: We could land Wallace...if....

I'd be all for it. Wllace is young and proven.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Wallace would be great value for a late first rounder. But it means the Rams losing a high draft pick, and lets not forget the Rams will have to pay him big bucks too. The Rams wouldn't be losing a No.1 draft choice, going the ordinary route of free agency. With so little money available, I think it would be a lot cheaper to just draft someone, instead. He definitely would have been worth going after, if the Rams were in much better shape. But, I highly doubt the Steelers will allow him to get away from them, anyway.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -03-02-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

If it were possible though it would be an aggressive move by the front office, a move that would get the fans excited and install some confidence in the fans that they are determined to turn this thing around.

Money could be a problem yes, does anyone know how it would work if we did offer a 1st rounder? do the steelers have a chance to counter any contract offer we purposed?

Even if we draft Blackmon id love to have Wallace and him, with Salas, Amendola, Pettis and maybe DX and Lloyd if hes back....would be a nice dangerous receiving group

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Dude I'd be all for drafting Blackmon at the #4 spot and then give up that #22 for Wallace! would be a beastly deal plus get two value players in the first round and as BarBQ mentioned Wallace is a proven talent! Imagine the Wallace, Blackmon, Danny and pettis/salas punch with kendricks and HOHo at TE and jackson plus a decent #2 anchoring or running game? Suddenly offensive passing becomess a ssset not a liability if they.......

CATCH THE FREAKING BALL!
    Bing69 likes this.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

I would give the 22nd pick for Wallace in a heartbeat.He is exactly what you want a WR to become why risk the developing proccess when u can get someone you know alrdy can play in the NFL and at a high level.Claiborne with the #6 if hes there and give the 22nd for Wallace sounds like a great first round for us.

rams_man13 is offline Registered User

If we forced Wallace out of Pittsburgh, the rule states you must give up YOUR OWN first round pick, not one you may have acquired in a trade. For us to get Wallace, we would have to give up #2. Not gonna happen.

Now, if we did the trade with the Browns and the Steelers ACCEPTED a trade offer using #22, that would be different. But, it would need to be a sign and trade type of deal.
    TekeRam likes this.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Wallace being tendered instead of tagged works against us. I doubt we make a trade before he's signed to a contract. Had he been tagged we could have negotiated a trade with a different pick or later in the offseason. As it stands now we cannot sign him because we'd be giving up that #2 pick.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Rams_man and DE are exactly right. Their tendering Wallace because of their cap issues over franchising him actually did hurt our ability to try to get something done. I wonder if the Steelers would have taken a deal for their 1st round and Wallace in return for our #2, which then they could auction off.

However, since he'll be tendered, I'm expecting some team late in the 1st with some cap room to give him a front loaded deal that the Steelers can't match. With the Pats having 2 picks, I think it'll be them as they need a young fast guy on the outside. If they can sign Welker to a long term deal, that will free up some cap space for him. Unfortunately, that means that the Steelers will be likely to grab one of the WR's in the first round with their new pick, which hurts us if we are looking to spend our 2.1 pick on one.
    I believe!