mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

We do not need to blow money

Just because we have alot of cap room and the majority of impact defensive players have been tagged doesn't mean we need to spend the money on something else. I keep hearing suggestions on using the money on a third receiver or another piece to our offense and it boggles me why everyone just wants us to throw our money away. I would be happy with us signing Chris Kelsay and a solid dt and building through the draft. All of the top teams(Patriots, Colts, Chargers and Bears) have built their teams throught the draft. Most of the teams that make big splashes in free agency have struggled. I think with the loss of the elite defensive players in free agency it should put most of our focus on where it should have been in the first place, building a solid group of young talented players through drafting and low risk/high reward free agents.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Re: We do not need to blow money

I have to agree with you,we need to bring in youth alongside Bruce,Holt and Little etc.We have wasted money in the past on has-beens who's motivation has been one last pay-day (Sehorn,Coakley,Claiborne,Glover).I'm not saying that if quality is out there we shouldn't try and get it but IMO we should be looking at younger guys like Kelsay who is 26 and coming into his prime rather than guys who were yesterday's news..:l

Country is offline Registered User

I think that the Rams need to spend some money on key free agents. Chris Kelsay will not help the defense as much as Patrick Kerney will. Pat Kerney will cost more. So in that case the Rams will have to spend.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    I think that the Rams need to spend some money on key free agents. Chris Kelsay will not help the defense as much as Patrick Kerney will. Pat Kerney will cost more. So in that case the Rams will have to spend.
    I almost hope that we pass on Kerney. Given the way FA is looking this offseason, it looks like he is gonna get alot more than he is really worth. Plus I am always weary of guys coming from decent defenses b/c yu never know how much is him and how much it is the people around him. Adejanju is still young didn't do that bad this year, and there are a few good DEs in the draft this year.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    I keep hearing suggestions on using the money on a third receiver or another piece to our offense and it boggles me why everyone just wants us to throw our money away.
    Just because we have needs on defense doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't also address the offense as well. For instance, I personally would like for us to go out and sign a starter-caliber offensive guard for two reasons: [1] it looks like Timmerman is going to walk and no one else we have at guard (Richie, Terrell, Setterstrom) has more than two years experience; [2] while our interior line had a couple nice games down the stretch when we put the youth into the line-up, I still think it's pretty risky going into 2007 depending on a seventh round pick, a practice squad player, and a guy who may have been called out by our quarterback as our starting line-up. I think this unit would benefit from some veteran competition and leadership, so I would certainly not be opposed to the Rams looking at offensive linemen, especially with a number of strong candidates on the market.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Ditto to Nick. There are some quality interior linemen on the market; I'd be surprised if we don't spend some cash on them. I wholeheartedly endorse that kind of decision too.

That said, I don't care how much money you have -- if you don't spend it wisely, you'll screw yourself down the line. Don't spend just 'cause you have it.

BIG GAME 81 is offline Registered User

I agree with going after an Offensive Lineman. The guy we should throw huge money at is Eric Steinbach. Put him in a left guard beside a healthy Pace, Incognito can play and if you decide to keep Timmerman at right guard, that leaves Barron at RT. That would be a dominent O-Line. Steinbach can also play Tackle and Center so he provides depth should one of the Tackles go down. I know we need to address our defense but at the same time we need to protect our assets on offense. We got a top 5 QB, IMO top 3 RB, and I think Holt's the best reciever and if we give Bulger protection he can and will play unbelievable.

keith m. klink Guest

the free agent pool is getting smaller and smaller, and just because the top guy left, is the top guy left, doesn't mean he will help or upgrade the team( kerney). if we are looking to grab a #3 receiver, then pay curtis #2 money and involve him more and let him take some of the passes off the others and move him to the #2 spot , bruce should not be angry or surprises that the team needs to do this. he got his contract, and he will retire as a ram, so help out and letthe kid that is a future for the team , stay with the team. why bring in another receiver to learn the offense and settle in on the players and team, when the answer is right there in front of you, by spending a little more on your guy, your saving your offense and team chemistry in the long haul.

BIG GAME 81 is offline Registered User

Great point about keeping Curtis, we do need to keep our own talent. A great example is letting London Fletcher go and signing Jamie Duncan. I like the fact that both Little and Tinoisamoa got extensions during the year, we had to keep those guys. We also have to keep in mind the Rams can probably only get one Marquee free agent. I think it has to be either Steinbach or Adalius Thomas and then add a guys like Kelsay to add depth. We need to keep in mind Bulger will be a free agent next year and Jackson the year after. Both those guys need megabuck deals to stay so we need to be careful and manage the cap well. The reason I think we need to go Thomas or Steinbach and pass on Kerney is because this years draft is deepest at defensive end. They will be a great pass rusher on the board at #13. Also, Thimas can rush the passer (11 sacks last year)

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

We need to resign Bulger now.

keith m. klink Guest

bulger is already in talks with the team about a new extension, and linehan is there also to show support that this needs to be done and now, to show mark and the team how much they mean and nead each other, mark will be signed to a new contract before april is here, let alone the draft.