Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RAMFANRAIDERHATER
  • 1 Post By Rambos

Thread: We know what positions the Rams will target... or do we?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

We know what positions the Rams will target... or do we?

As fans, we can look at the Rams' roster and project what holes the team will likely seek to fill in the offseason. Most would agree that the Rams currently need to upgrade (in no particular order) the O line, receiving corps, SLB position and safety position.

But do we really know how the Rams' decisionmakers create their draft board?

I ask this question because of one player: Trent Richardson.

Last offseason, few had RB as a top need spot for the Rams. Most viewed it more as a position where the Rams needed to improve depth, rather than find a starter.

Nonetheless, by most accounts (including reports from the actual War Room), the top player on the Rams' draft board was Richardson.

My belief is that the Rams had Richardson at the top because they simply thought he was the best player in the draft (or, at least, the best non-QB).

Does this mean that the Rams are a BPA team, rather than a need-filling team?

If so, could our draft boards be wrong? What if the Rams think the top player in the draft is a DT (Star Lotulelei?) Or a DE (Bjorn Werner?) Or a "3-4 OLB" (Jarvis Jones?) Or a CB (Dee Millner?). Would the Rams put him at the top of their board despite the lack of "need"?

I don't know the answer, but I do know this:

Its way too early to eliminate any player (other than QBs) from the Rams' radar.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Re: We know what positions the Rams will target... or do we?

The answer is bpa. Ive heard fisher and snead say this since they have been here.

Actually i heard Tony Softli say this. But im about 90percent sure ive heard fisher say it too.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

We know what positions the Rams will target... or do we?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Its way too early to eliminate any player (other than QBs) from the Rams' radar.
    Wait for it, wait for it, wait......
    ManofGod likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think its 50/50, if there is even such a thing. I mean, it depends. Did the Rams really think that after TRICH and Justin Blackmon the #1 rated guy on the remaining list was Michael Brockers? If so, then they are definitely a BPA team. If not, then they recognized they wanted help at the position, realized they could pick up some other picks along the way, and still get a good player that would help tremendously.

BTW I'll go out on a limb here and say Jarvis Jones will be the #1 on many draft boards (my opinion). Other than a spine scare, he's Von Miller 2.0.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

My best guess, and only a guess, is it's was a BPA to build on for years type of a thought process. We all love SJax but even if he stays he won't be here in 2 or 3 years. So you go for Trent Richardson. If there was an elite CB in this years draft I would doubt we take him because we have Jenkins/Cortland and they should be around for years.

Anyway that's my thinking. : )

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Wait for it, wait for it, wait......
    I'm not going to let this devolve into another tiresome Sam Bradford debate. I will simply state that, given the sub-par QB class in this year's draft, Bradford's development in 2012, and his contract, I believe it is safe to say that the Rams won't be taking a QB with their first pick.

Back on topic... my impression of this draft class is that there are not (yet) many standout prospects that would cause the Rams to go "full BPA." That can change, though. If, for example, Jarvis Jones were to run a 4.50 at the Combine, and test well in other drills, he could start to emerge as a true "elite prospect" in many eyes.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Rams and Rams fans are just lucky that this draft is deep in positions we need help at. Sitting at 15 and 18(or whatever it is) it's likely Warmack, Eifert, Matthews, Allen, Williams and on will all be available, all will be high up the draft board and all will fill our biggest needs.

Rambos is offline Registered User

But do we really know how the Rams' decisionmakers create their draft board?

No

No

We look at the roster and form our opinions based on the players that are playing. We don't have anyway to project what the Rams think of the players that are being developed but are not playing.

Few examples.

Pead, some fans think the Rams need to draft a RB this year. Why because Pead is not showing us fans anything. But the Rams see him at work every day. They may be thrilled with what he will be in the near future.

Guard or Tackle

The fans (myself included are thinking draft O line) the Rams may not see that as a big need. They may really like some of the younger guys they have Rok, Barksdale, Williams ect. They may think with the off-season program these guys can be as good as any rookie they can draft.

Last year a lot Ram fans thought Gibson would be cut. He went on to start all year for the Rams. I know I was not close to Gibson role, I though he would be cut.

I guess what I'm trying to say is we think we know the needs but we really don't. What you may feel is a decision based off BPA, the Rams may feel they just filled the biggest need.

Last year what did most of us think was the biggest need? Receiver right... we spent 50 million on a CB. We could have spent a few more bucks on Vincent Jackson and filled the biggest need or so we thought.
    Rammed likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

My guess is regardless of position (qb being the exception), Fish and Les will go BPA up to a point. IF they perceive a guy to really be a "difference maker" a truly special player, then I think they take him regardless of position. I believe they saw Janoris Jenkins in that light, but we had so many holes last year we could have justified drafting practically any position other than Qb. It isn't all that different this year - we've still got a lot of room on our roster for improvment.

If so, could our draft boards be wrong? What if the Rams think the top player in the draft is a DT (Star Lotulelei?) Or a DE (Bjorn Werner?) Or a "3-4 OLB" (Jarvis Jones?) Or a CB (Dee Millner?). Would the Rams put him at the top of their board despite the lack of "need"?
    My guess is yes they would if they believe he's the top guy ..