RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

We need a 3 starters out of this draft (big draft)

We need to have a big draft and come away with three starters in order to have a big turn around this year. I know you are lucky to get 1 or 2 starters but we need a big draft to have a good shot at being better then an 8-8 team.

Those three starters need to come from the following positions:
    MLB
    OT
    WR
    NT
    SLB

We also need to add at least 2 cheaper veteran free agents after the draft that could challenge for a starting spot or rotation type player.

Two positions we could look at via free agency besides those listed above:
    RB (Backup Jackson)
    CB (If Hill don't pan out)
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-20-2009 at 11:06 PM.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: We need a 3 starters out of this draft (big draft)

We definately do need a good draft, but something that may be more important is our young guys like Hill, Carriker, and Long stepping up. After we only got 1 defensive player in FA I think the organization has alot of faith that at least some of these young guys will step up.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I think it is very possible that we could land three starters out of this draft. From what I can tell there will be tons of value when the second round comes around. I also think we can get a solid slot wideout in the third. It is certainly going to be an interesting and fun weekend. Hopefully a weekend that we will look back to in five or so years and say "that day is what turned us into a dynasty"

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I think it is very possible that we could land three starters out of this draft. From what I can tell there will be tons of value when the second round comes around. I also think we can get a solid slot wideout in the third. It is certainly going to be an interesting and fun weekend. Hopefully a weekend that we will look back to in five or so years and say "that day is what turned us into a dynasty"
    Though I am hesitant to want a WR in this draft due to the quantity of young WRs on the roster, I think your dead on about a WR in the 3rd. In a previous post I am guessing a Louis Murphy type.

I think the Rams will get at least three starters out of this draft if "starter" is defined as someone who plays a significant role. For instance, if Jasper Brinkley is taken and fills the MLB role, but comes out on 3rd down.......or if a Conner Barwin or Ron Brace are used on a rotational type situation.
    Semper Fi!

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

I think that 3 starters are a real possibility. OT,MLB, wide receiver. Maybe a tight end in the 4th or 5th ( Scott L told me to say that)

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think its safe to say that the Rams are looking for a starting OT and MLB.

At SLB, they could get by with a combinaton of Draft and Culberson, though that would not be ideal.

At NT, they need depth, at least, to rotate with Ryan.

At WR, they need someone who can compete with Burton for the No. 2 spot, and fill the No. 3 spot if Burton emerges.

DistantRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think its safe to say that the Rams are looking for a starting OT and MLB.

At SLB, they could get by with a combinaton of Draft and Culberson, though that would not be ideal.

At NT, they need depth, at least, to rotate with Ryan.

At WR, they need someone who can compete with Burton for the No. 2 spot, and fill the No. 3 spot if Burton emerges.
    Isn't Pisa going to play at SLB, with Witherspoon at WLB? I'd say that adding a starting calibre MLB could be done in the second round, as one of Laurinaitis or Maualuga could fall that far and other prospects (Beckwith, Brinkley, Ellerbe, McRath) will certainly be available.

As for the WR position, surely Robinson is going to compete with Burton for the second starting position?

I'd like to see us take Curry at two and the BPA at thirty-five, but realise that we're more likely to go OT in round one. That being the case, we need two definite starters from our first two picks. Further down, I don't see the need for any immediate starters, although to find one would obviously be a bonus.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

3 starters? Really? That would be a dream come true but I'm not counting on it.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    3 starters? Really? That would be a dream come true but I'm not counting on it.
    But realistically, isn't that about what you need on a regular basis?

Players come into the league at about age 22 and most will be on the downside of their careers by age 32. Assuming for the moment that the team basically breaks even between talent gained and lost through free agency, the team is going to be drafting replacements for 22 starters on a 10 year cycle. At that rate, you ought to be averaging about 2.2 starters/year from the draft. But really you probably want to be doing a little better than that if you want to have time to groom players before putting them in the starting lineup or if you're one of the smaller market franchises that may lose free agents to teams with deeper pockets.

If you can't do that, you're going to wind up either having to use players well past their prime or relying on players who aren't really what you'd normally call starting quality. Oh wait, that is where we're at, isn't it?