View Poll Results: Are We In A Position To Gamble Our Draft Picks On Riskier Players?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 36.84%
  • No

12 63.16%
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By laram0
  • 1 Post By mde8352gorams

Thread: Are We In A Position To Gamble On Draft Picks?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Are We In A Position To Gamble On Draft Picks?

Let me preface by saying that obviously, the entire NFL Draft is a gamble. Nobody is a sure thing, and the process of assigning draft grades is essentially the process of assigning risk: determining which players are safer bets to succeed in the NFL and which players are less safe commodities. People get it wrong and over and under estimate certain players. There are outliers and anomalies. To quote a fairly well known Texan, it's a crap shoot, good depth, quality signing blah blah.

NOW:

I've been reading a lot about players who the Rams might want to 'gamble' on in the draft. Players who are desirable to fans and scouts because of their measurements or perceptible talent, but are a considered more of a risk to select with a high pick than a safer candidate. The obvious comparisons to be made in this year's WR class are ones like Blackmon V. Floyd, Floyd V. Hill. There are others across the board.

My question is a simple one:

Are we in a position, as a 2-14 franchise, to be gambling on riskier players because of a particular skillset or tangible quality?

Is there any room for boom or bust in this year's draft class? Is there such a thing as a good gamble? Are we in a position to think about, for example, Hill over Floyd? Why? I'm speaking in a general sense - I don't want to get into a discussion of Blackmon V whoever because there are tons of threads doing that already. I'm speaking holistically.

Would you roll the dice for the boom and risk the proverbial bust?

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Are We In A Position To Gamble On Draft Picks?

BIG NO!!

We lack skill players across the board.

We need major upgrades at wr, o-line, d-line, olb, rb depth and probably cb.

Now if we only needed to upgrade 1-2 positions then id say we could afford to go after a boom or bust type player.

Only way i think we take one of those players is if someone falls and they are BPA and is just to good to pass up, but i dont think thats gonna happen.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

I think we need to build solid starters more than risks. Maybe one of the top picks (if we trade our 1.2 for a more picks) might be worth the risk. But not more than that.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I know you said you didn't want to make this into a Blackmon vs. whoever thread, but let me put it like this, because I think it's what you're asking: Are we in a position to forego someone who seems like a can't miss like Blackmon when we trade down to pick up talented players who have behavioral or production risks?

Namely, if we trade with say, the Dolphins and are at the bottom of the top 10, can we go for Brockers or Poe(really physically awesome but with limited production) and then go with Hill or Randle at 2.1? Personally, yes, I think we can. When I look at it, a combo of Poe and Hill looks possibly just as promising as Blackmon and maybe Cox who would be available at the top of the 2nd round as a DT.

Randle and Hill have the same issues in my mind in that they seem to be good big receivers who can block, but because their offenses needed them more to block than to catch, they weren't able to show their skills. Randle has more production certainly, and was the top rated WR in his high school class. Hill, on the other hand has little productivity, but is in the same mold as Megatron and Demaryus Thomas who preceded him. If they pass the interview and ability check, I'd be fine taking them at the top of the second round and getting line playmakers in the first.
    I believe!

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Less risk= Less reward as opposed to More risk= More reward. Seeing as the Rams are a small market team, and free agents tend to prefer other teams. I say the Rams need to gamble more in the draft.?But just not this year though. The Rams need to build a foundation, before they even contemplate taking risks in any draft.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

If Fisher and Snead want to keep their jobs there won't be any dice rolling.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Would you roll the dice for the boom and risk the proverbial bust?
    Depends on the risk. Depends on the reward. I doubt that most teams start draft day by taking a vote in the War Room whether they're going to swing for the fences today or bat for average.

When people talk about risk, they often mean a criminal record or an attitude problem, but limited physical tools would also present a risk that they might not succeed. So would height or the dropsies or a small school pedigree. Everything that goes into a player evaluation is potentially an area of risk, and for any given player, you're looking at what his upper limit is and how likely it is that he'll improve on the areas that have kept him from reaching it yet. I could say no, I wouldn't take a player that I thought was high risk, but it is relative because risk of just not being good enough could be as much of a problem as the risk of a talented player wasting it.

richtree is offline Registered User

This thread isn't fairly titled....It seems to have bias in trying to influence a poster by implying, "You shouldn't trade down a few picks because those players are much riskier."!!!

You could also title the same thread, "Are the Rams, with many, many needs on offensive and defense, in any positon to not trade down for multiple picks to build a full team as quickly as possible."

It's all semantics, the Rams will do something and we won't all like it. But I don't think it's a "gamble", I think the men in charge make the best possible decisions. Some people do it better than others.

The Rams have gotten the short end of the stick over the last 5 years or so....but now we seem to be in the drivers seat and it feels good to build a franchise with strong leadership.

Snead, Fisher, and the Off-Season seem to be better than alot of other franchises and that makes me expect better results...

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    This thread isn't fairly titled....It seems to have bias in trying to influence a poster by implying, "You shouldn't trade down a few picks because those players are much riskier."!!!
    I'm not trying to influence anybody.

The most important clause is that some draft picks are considered riskier than others. Using picks on those players is therefore a riskier choice. However, as we've seen time and time again, reward can outweigh perceived risk.

I'm just curious about the consensus. Do we roll the dice, or play it safe?

You could also title the same thread, "Are the Rams, with many, many needs on offensive and defense, in any positon to not trade down for multiple picks to build a full team as quickly as possible."
    You could. You could also title the thread: 'Ten Bad Sleep Habits You Never Knew You Had' and you would similarly succeed in completely missing the point.

It's all semantics, the Rams will do something and we won't all like it. But I don't think it's a "gamble", I think the men in charge make the best possible decisions. Some people do it better than others.

The Rams have gotten the short end of the stick over the last 5 years or so....but now we seem to be in the drivers seat and it feels good to build a franchise with strong leadership.

Snead, Fisher, and the Off-Season seem to be better than alot of other franchises and that makes me expect better results...
    This I agree with entirely.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Risk is a relative word and while I voted No, I feel that certain players may appear riskier than others there are so many factors that enter into the decision. For example, is the player coachable? If so, do we have the right coaches? We can debate this for days, but the truth is that the people in our war-room will determine the level of risk each player presents and decide if the risk can be minimized.

Our current situation is enviable with getting extra picks for the #2 slot. We need to make the most of those and not take excessive risks. I recall the aftermath of the Eric Dickerson trade that supposedly made us a shoo-in for the coming Super Bowls. Well it took close to 10 years to reach the Super Bowl and I have to believe there wasn't 1 player on the team from that trade. So much for risk!

Go Rams!
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.