jquarando is offline Registered User

We Seriously Need A Starting Guard.

Just taking a quick look at the roster Guard is by far our number one need simply based on the fact that we only have 1 signed for next year. Depending on the CBA

Bell - under contract

Greco - Depending on the CBA could be unrestricted; 4th year in the league in 2011

Goldberg - unrestricted

Fraley(Not really a guard) - under contract

Brown(Not really a guard) - under contract

Settestrom(IR) - unrestricted

Foster(Not really a guard) - more than likely an exclusive rights free agent.

I can see at least 2 new Guards either via FA or the draft this offseason.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: We Seriously Need A Starting Guard.

I KNOW Jquarando, what surprise's me so much is the total lack of interest in this thread? If we were talking about about WR's you would not have waited over 6 hours for a reply. The total lack of respect by fans for lineman drives me crazy. There almost just took for granted.
    Im glad theres still a few of us out there who really appreciate what the OL does for our offense. The most important part of the team. I get the feeling with the new OC coming in, that OG will be even less prioritised.
    GO RAMS

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

I think we draft a bit too high too take a guard with our 14th. No offensive guard is worth this spot this year in the draft. I prefer to take a talented skill player. But in the 2nd or 3rd a mauler guard could be an interesting pick for good value with possibility to contribute early.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Here is a player I think we should take a serious look at this free agency, Marshal Yanda. He is 26 years old and currently plays for the Baltimore Ravens. He is a good guard who has played tackle when needed. He is young and somewhat underrated so we wouldn't have to pay premier money to possibly sign him. The Ravens have to focus on signing Haloti Gnata so there is a chance Yanda slips through the cracks.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

I get the feeling with the new OC coming in, that OG will be even less prioritised
    ------------------------------------

Why do you think that Ground? McD isnt making personnel decisions, im sure Devaney and Spags have a plan for what they want / need...

Just a assumption Bing69, I know Im going out on a limb here. McDaniels input will definately be took into consideration, seeing as the new scheme is a lot different to what Spags envisioned for his offense the last 2 years.
    It's just more likely now in my opinion that the conservatism is lessened, hence WR's will be targeted more.
    Doing a bit of research about the scheme McD runs, made me feel a lot more optimistic for our offense?
    He likes his linemen on the big side, with a lot of running between the tackles.
    If thats the case Im very happy, because he will no doubt want to upgrade the blocking on the interior,
    improving our chances on 3rd and 1 with Jackson running the ball. MASSIVE, HUGE, I love it.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -01-22-2011 at 03:06 PM.

viper is offline Registered User

I think the guard position will be addressed in some form this offseason. DeSpags did the right thing picking Saffold in the 2nd round last year to help keep Bradford clean. I'd be suprised if they tried to get by with Goldberg another year. It's also obvious that S-Jax needs some beef up front that can open holes for him to barrel through. That became so glaring this year that I have to believe that it will be a priority. Unless, they really think that Greco can be that guy. I'm not convinced that he is the answer. I will be very disappointed if we don't make a move at guard.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    I KNOW Jquarando, what surprise's me so much is the total lack of interest in this thread? If we were talking about about WR's you would not have waited over 6 hours for a reply. The total lack of respect by fans for lineman drives me crazy. There almost just took for granted.
    Im glad theres still a few of us out there who really appreciate what the OL does for our offense. The most important part of the team. I get the feeling with the new OC coming in, that OG will be even less prioritised.
    GO RAMS
    I don't think it is a lack of respect, you see a lot of people talk about needing a new guard and who is available around on other threads. I think the problem comes from the fact it is hard to grade interior linemen and talk about the various aspects of their game.

How many fans really talk about the lateral movement a guard needs? Or maybe his ability to block zone? Arm length, if he stays low, etc. It is much easier to talk about receiver's hands and speed and ability to get open, it is a lot easier to watch and see it. Not many fans really know what being a lineman is all about, how blocking assignments are made, and how the linemen execute them. They just know that if the lineman is doing his job, he's invisible. Especially interior.

No one on this board thinks OL is unimportant. Everyone knows an offense starts and ends with its line play. It can't exist without a line. But really all most people have to go on is reputation, there really isn't much of a highlight reel for offensive guards to watch and drool over like there is with WRs.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I don't think it is a lack of respect, you see a lot of people talk about needing a new guard and who is available around on other threads. I think the problem comes from the fact it is hard to grade interior linemen and talk about the various aspects of their game.

How many fans really talk about the lateral movement a guard needs? Or maybe his ability to block zone? Arm length, if he stays low, etc. It is much easier to talk about receiver's hands and speed and ability to get open, it is a lot easier to watch and see it. Not many fans really know what being a lineman is all about, how blocking assignments are made, and how the linemen execute them. They just know that if the lineman is doing his job, he's invisible. Especially interior.

No one on this board thinks OL is unimportant. Everyone knows an offense starts and ends with its line play. It can't exist without a line. But really all most people have to go on is reputation, there really isn't much of a highlight reel for offensive guards to watch and drool over like there is with WRs.
    I agree berg, your right. I just get frustrated at times. I try too get as much imformation about all the players regardless of position. When watching live games, my eyes are all over the place. Starting with the games at the line of scrimmage, the snap. Then I watch the battle in the trenches(better to key into the best 1 to 1 match ups on each play. Then last but not least, the actual skill players doing there thing. Thanks for your input Berg8309
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -01-22-2011 at 05:34 PM.