Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

We will know where Rams stand way before the draft.

Everyone on this forum knows where I stand as I have taken plenty of negative rep due to my feelings on us getting Michael Vick. However, if the Rams dont acquire Vick or a veteran quarterback then we almost MUST draft a QB with our first round pick. I would be very disappointed if we went into the season with the three stooges (Bulger, Boller, Null) as the top Qbs on our depth chart. If we don't get a veteran QB, based on his pro days, etc. Sam Bradford is the no-brainer choice in my eyes.

And Avenger, now you truly know that if the Rams don't sign Vick i will not pought or hold anything against them but would begin to heavily embrace drafting a Quarterback of the future in Sam Bradford.

BTW- I am strongly AGAINST Jimmy Clausen..really not a fan of him, dont think hes that good at all.

I know Tampa LOVES Suh so if we don't get a veteran QB i would really like to see us trade the 1st overall to Tampa for their first round third overall and their third round third overall. In this we obtain an extra top 5 3rd round pick while ensuring we get the QB of our choice because Tampa and Detroit won't be taking a QB.

Thoughts?

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: We will know where Rams stand way before the draft.

Im not against a trade down option for TB's 1st 2nd and 3rd round pick at all, however I am afraid I have the exact opposite feeling on the two QB's. I think Claussen will be more pro ready while Bradford will struggle early on. I am however a strong supporter of Lefevour, if a tade down doesnt happen and we pick Suh first.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

We cannot just draft on need. We need to understand draft value. I think we did a great job last year with draft value as well as addressing needs.

If we do trade down to the 3rd pick what's better a QB with alot of INJURY problems or a good DT in Gerald McCoy.

I like the idea of bringing Vick in but the exception is having one of "the three stooges" Marc Bulger as the starter. Even after Vick's redemption season there is no way we can feed him a whole gameplan and have him lead a team on his own.

I agree that we need a QB but not to the extent of high priced free agent or 1st round pick.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

When I think about guys like Lefevour, McCoy, and Tony Pike I think solid starting QBs in time. When I think about Bradford and Claussen I think about franchise QBs

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Just curious, THOLTFAN81, but what do you like about Bradford over Clausen?

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Just curious, THOLTFAN81, but what do you like about Bradford over Clausen?
    I feel that Clausen isn't a true leader. In a 3 team Independent conference in which the two other teams are Army and Navy they finished second behind Navy and only one game ahead of Army. I find this disconcerning considering he can't win a division against low level talent. I know that scouts also think that he doesnt have good leadership skills. So that's one aspect where I prefer Bradford to Clausen

Another Aspect where I prefer Bradford is I have honestly never seen him do anything that wrong other then getting hurt. Clausen has made many mistakes and for his first two years looked totally overrated before having a good year this year. I wont take that away from Clausen he played well but I see Bradford as a more Franchise QB.

His accuracy is as good as anyones- keep in mind a year ago Bradford was a declaration away from being the Detroit Lions starting quarterback.

Another thing is I really don't like how NFL scouts and analysts think just because a player ran a pro-style offense he's going to be awesome. There are just as much busts who run pro-style offenses as there are that run spread offenses...

Bradford will be the #1 quarterback selected whether its Us or someone else.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Would TB really want Suh so much more than DT McCoy to make that multi-million dollar reach up to #1?

I believe that Bradford may be in the running and/or Clausen but the conclusions drawn from med reports, workouts, & what personal impression these guys make on DeSpags & Co won't be known until...well....until they make a choice. Might be a hint if The Rams get an FA DT like Cofield or if, pre-draft, if The Rams can get a deal done which brings up the issue of whether "signability" also may factor into the choice. Not what you want to hear as a fan but I think it's an unavoidable reality that it will be influential to some degree.Then again, I doubt that in this financially-discombobulated off-season that a pre-draft deal is likely. I'd actually bet on a holdout of some duration, no matter who it is.The #1 pick has never had, nor probably will ever again have, such leverage in negotiating their deal . He won't care that Chip's pockets aren't deep but I'm sure he'll be aware of the team's lowly status & the fact that the only bling he's likely to sport for the near future will have to be bought, not awarded.

You could even say,imo, that the greatest pressure on a Ram bigwig for the success/failure of this pick in the short term will be on the money man/capologist Demoff, not the football guys or the actual player. No freakin' irony there,huh?

It truly sucks but there it is,imo. lets hope the agents for the pick are not the freakin whatsit brothers....

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post

It truly sucks but there it is,imo. lets hope the agents for the pick are not the freakin whatsit brothers....
    Fortunately for us, they got a two year blacklist from the NFLPA in 2006 and haven't done a whole lot of NFL business since.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    When I think about guys like Lefevour, McCoy, and Tony Pike I think solid starting QBs in time. When I think about Bradford and Claussen I think about franchise QBs
    Agreed.

To me it's about which fork in the road you want to take. Neither way is right or wrong they just have a different timeline.

Bradford/Clausen and you have your starter in 2011... maybe mid 2010 but I doubt it.

The Lefevour/McCoy/Pike and you have your starter in 2012... maybe 2013.

IMHO

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Fortunately for us, they got a two year blacklist from the NFLPA in 2006 and haven't done a whole lot of NFL business since.
    I guess you've forgotten the circus surrounding James Butler's deal last year, courtesy of the Poston Bros.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I guess you've forgotten the circus surrounding James Butler's deal last year, courtesy of the Poston Bros.
    Butler actually signed with them even after the shenanigans they pulled with their clients?

I'd call him a complete idiot, but the safety in the Detroit Game made that patently obvious to all.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Butler actually signed with them even after the shenanigans they pulled with their clients?

I'd call him a complete idiot, but the safety in the Detroit Game made that patently obvious to all.
    I'm pretty sure that was Quincy Butler, not James Butler.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was Quincy Butler, not James Butler.
    Nope, James Butler was the idiot who intercepted the ball and ran back into the endzone.

Quincy Butler was the guy that accidently touched the bouncing punt in the first game against the Niners that led to a TD

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

My current position is that I don't think Bradford or Clausen should be the first pick in the draft.

I have a difficult time responding to questions about trading down because there are too many hypothetical trades that could be proposed.

That said, if the Rams trade down to the third pick and select a QB... and if he's healthy... I prefer Bradford over Clausen.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

I really don't like how NFL scouts and analysts think just because a player ran a pro-style offense he's going to be awesome.
    So that's how they do it huh?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast