throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: We will know where Rams stand way before the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That said, if the Rams trade down to the third pick and select a QB... and if he's healthy... I prefer Bradford over Clausen.
    Wow Avenger we actually agree on something lol.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Everyone on this forum knows where I stand as I have taken plenty of negative rep due to my feelings on us getting Michael Vick. However, if the Rams dont acquire Vick or a veteran quarterback then we almost MUST draft a QB with our first round pick. I would be very disappointed if we went into the season with the three stooges (Bulger, Boller, Null) as the top Qbs on our depth chart. If we don't get a veteran QB, based on his pro days, etc. Sam Bradford is the no-brainer choice in my eyes.

And Avenger, now you truly know that if the Rams don't sign Vick i will not pought or hold anything against them but would begin to heavily embrace drafting a Quarterback of the future in Sam Bradford.

BTW- I am strongly AGAINST Jimmy Clausen..really not a fan of him, dont think hes that good at all.

I know Tampa LOVES Suh so if we don't get a veteran QB i would really like to see us trade the 1st overall to Tampa for their first round third overall and their third round third overall. In this we obtain an extra top 5 3rd round pick while ensuring we get the QB of our choice because Tampa and Detroit won't be taking a QB.

Thoughts?
    I just disagree with pretty much all of this.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -01-29-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Nope, James Butler was the idiot who intercepted the ball and ran back into the endzone.

Quincy Butler was the guy that accidently touched the bouncing punt in the first game against the Niners that led to a TD
    Oh, right. Too many boneheaded moves last season to remember which one happened in which game.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    Agreed.

To me it's about which fork in the road you want to take. Neither way is right or wrong they just have a different timeline.

Bradford/Clausen and you have your starter in 2011... maybe mid 2010 but I doubt it.

The Lefevour/McCoy/Pike and you have your starter in 2012... maybe 2013.

IMHO
    Is it something specific to them that makes you feel this way, or do you simply not envision a non-first round QB contributing for 3-4 years down the road? Because there are plenty of examples of guys drafted in the second or third round who were able to get on the field sooner than their third or fourth year.

For instance, 2008 second round pick Chad Henne started 13 games in his "sophomore" season. Trent Edwards was drafted in the third round of 2007 and started nine games as a rookie, 14 games the following season. Kellen Clemens and Tarvaris Jackson, both second round picks in 2006, started eight and twelve games respectively in their second pro years. Brodie Croyle, selected in the third round of '06, started six games in his second year. Kyle Orton, a fourth rounder in 2005, started 15 games as a rookie.

Plus, I would argue that if you don't think a guy can contribute as a starter for 3-4 years, then you probably shouldn't be spending a second or third round pick on him in the first place, no?

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Let me start out by saying there are always exceptions to the rules. I just don't like the odds of finding the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Is it something specific to them that makes you feel this way, or do you simply not envision a non-first round QB contributing for 3-4 years down the road?
    Nothing specific about these players it's just a general guideline I believe to be more realistic then people thinking we can get a Brady or a Ryan in rounds 3 and beyond.

Because there are plenty of examples of guys drafted in the second or third round who were able to get on the field sooner than their third or fourth year.
    I think I used a poor choice of words when I said "starter." Of course these players could see the field before their third or fourth year. I just don't think they will be able to get up to speed or hit their stride until their third year and probably not breakout until their 4th year.

For instance, 2008 second round pick Chad Henne started 13 games in his "sophomore" season. Trent Edwards was drafted in the third round of 2007 and started nine games as a rookie, 14 games the following season. Kellen Clemens and Tarvaris Jackson, both second round picks in 2006, started eight and twelve games respectively in their second pro years. Brodie Croyle, selected in the third round of '06, started six games in his second year. Kyle Orton, a fourth rounder in 2005, started 15 games as a rookie.
    These are definitly examples that you can start before year two or three but they are also examples of quarterbacks that won't hit their stride (or breakout) until their 3rd or 4th year.

Henne threw more ints than tds and had a qb rating of 75 in his 2nd year.

In his 3 years Edwards has thrown 1 int more than tds and has a qb rating of 78.

Clemens and Jackson both lost their starting jobs in year 3 of their career.

Croyle was so bad for his first 3 years the Chiefs went out and got Cassell.

Orton is again another example. He was terrible his 1st two years. Only started hitting his stride his 3rd year and that still wasn't a great year if you ask me. He has 4 years under his belt and still has more doubters than believers on being able to get it done.

Plus, I would argue that if you don't think a guy can contribute as a starter for 3-4 years, then you probably shouldn't be spending a second or third round pick on him in the first place, no?
    You have to get one sooner or later. The further down you wait the more your odds decrease on getting a qb of the future.

IMHO

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    I think I used a poor choice of words when I said "starter." Of course these players could see the field before their third or fourth year. I just don't think they will be able to get up to speed or hit their stride until their third year and probably not breakout until their 4th year.
    Ah, alrighty. I see what you're saying now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12