Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: Weekly Rewind: As QBs Drop, OT Joeckel Continues to Rise

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Weekly Rewind: As QBs Drop, OT Joeckel Continues to Rise

Weekly Rewind: As QBs Drop, OT Joeckel Continues to Rise
    By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
    November 10, 2012 5:09 pm ET

Which future NFL draft picks stood out during Week 10 of the 2012 college football season? NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst Rob Rang checks in with the performances that will have NFL scouts adjusting their rankings. Weekly Rewind is a running blog post updated throughout the day, with the stories in chronological order.

Wilson Teases With Big Arm, Guts in Loss To South Carolina

Winning 38-20 in front of their home crowd, the South Carolina Gamecocks outplayed the Arkansas Razorbacks in every way Saturday.

Perhaps surprising, considering the score, South Carolina's most impressive effort came on the defensive side of the ball. Due in large part to the fact that sophomore defensive end JaDeveon Clowney is the nation's best player, the Gamecocks consistently put pressure on Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilson, a potential first round pick in the 2013 NFL draft.

South Carolina intercepted Wilson twice and limited the SEC's leading passer (averaging 317.5 passing yards per game) to a mediocre performance that looks much better in the statbook than it did live. Wilson threw for 192 yards in the first half but just 85 yards after that. He also threw two second half interceptions.

Considering the lack of protection he had up front, as well as limited experience (other than Cobi Hamilton) at receiver, it is a testament to Wilson's guts and talent that he enjoyed the success he did. In a year of highly inconsistent play from the most talented quarterbacks, those traits could transate into a first round pick.

As much as one play ever can, the skill-set that could cause a team to gamble big on the Arkansas quarterback was demonstrated on Wilson's game-tying touchdown pass to true freshman receiver Keon Hatcher midway through the second quarter.

Facing third and goal, Wilson took the snap from shotgun and quickly located Hatcher coming free across the middle from the slot. Wilson had to rely on his correct pre-snap read because Clowney had slipped past Arkansas' left tackle with an explosive swim move and was barreling in on the quarterback at top speed. Wilson took a physical, clean hit to the chest and threw a strike to make the first catch of Hatcher's career a memorable one.

Better protection would have put Wilson in better position to make a similar play when Arkansas faced 3rd and goal from the three-yard line with 3:30 before the half, while the game was still competitive. This time, however, it was the Gamecocks' talented senior pass rusher, Devin Taylor, who was in Wilson's face before he had a chance to breathe. The 6-7, 267 pound Taylor was unblocked off the right side and forced Wilson's throw to be slightly behind his most reliable receiver, senior Cobi Hamilton. Hamilton who was open, wasn't able to snatch the ball before South Carolina defender Akeem Auguste knocked it away.

Scouts like Wilson's arm talent and guts but he showed throughout the second half why he remains a flawed quarterback.

While Wilson has the velocity and touch to make the breath-taking throw, he does not possess great accuracy, overall, at least not in terms of consistency. Arkansas' well-designed routes puts opposing defensive backs in difficult positions. This gives Wilson (and other quarterbacks who've played in this offense) bigger windows than he'll often see in more traditional pro-style attacks in the NFL. Wilson's moderate ball placement on intermediate and shorter checkdown throws limited his receivers' ability to generate yardage after the catch in this contest and in previous games viewed.

Wilson's most impressive traits are his arm strength and guts. He is willing to stand in and take a direct shot to complete passes, which has led to his twice being knocked out of games with head injuries over his two seasons as the Razorbacks' starting quarterback. He's been tested this year considering the fact that he lost three receivers to the NFL a year ago.

South Carolina won this game due to their ability to slow down Wilson and the passing attack but this was all set up by forcing the Gamecocks to abandon their star all-purpose ball-carrier Dennis Johnson after he fumbled early. Johnson, who entered the game as the Southeastern Conference's reigning career all-purpose yardage leader with 5,084 yards, was limited to just 58 total yards Saturday. Johnson, who I highlighted as one of the five prospects to watch this week, had a critical fumble on the Gamecocks' five-yard line. The 5-08, 212 pound bowling ball is difficult for defenders to tackle due to his excellent balance, as well as short, choppy steps that give him power and quickness. Down big throughout the second half, Johnson only had five touches over the final two quarters, robbing Arkansas of their most consistent player on offense.

Joeckel, Matthews Deserve Credit for Aggies' Win

With all due respect to Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin, his offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury and their star quarterback Johnny Manziel, the biggest reasons (literally and figuratively) for the Aggies' stunning win over Alabama Saturday are named Luke Joeckel and Jake Matthews.

The juniors rank as the nation's elite bookend tackles and frankly, their ability to control the point of attack made the Aggies a somewhat predictable upset candidate. Their ability to pin Alabama inside and allow Manziel to out-flank the normally sound Tide defense helped stake the Aggies to a 20-0 lead in the first half. Powerful, athletic and poised, each demonstrated the skill-set that will result in a top 20 selection in the 2013 NFL draft should they elect to come out early.

Joeckel, NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated prospect regardless of position, was particularly impressive in this contest especially in critical situations. Time after time, Texas A&M ran behind him in short yardage situations, including on their first touchdown of the game. His stellar pass protection gave Manziel extra time on the magical score shown below. With Joeckel (No. 76 in video below) demonstrating the foot speed, long arms and balance to handle an outside speed rush, Manziel was given the time to dance in the pocket, nearly fumbling along the way, to roll left and find Ryan Swope for the Aggies' second score.

Manziel found Swope for another huge gain early in the fourth quarter after Alabama had closed the lead to 23-17. Desperate to create some some pressure on Manziel, the Tide resorted to a relatively rare blitz. Joeckel initially stoned 6-6, 248 pound sophomore linebacker Adrian Hubbard, who had lined up as a 4-3 defensive end. After knocking him to the right, Joeckel switched off to stop a looping Alabama defensive tackle as Manziel threw a strike to his senior wideout. Swope caught the 28-yard pass and absorbed a huge hit from Alabama defensive back Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix which drew a flag, giving the Aggies a first down at the Tide's 25-yard line.

Joeckel again showed the ability to quickly erase one defender before switching off to another on Manziel's beautifully thrown 24-yard touchdown pass to Malcolme Kennedy with 9:10 left in the fourth quarter.

Quarterbacks have been taken with the No. 1 overall pick every year since 2008. That year, the Miami Dolphins made former Michigan standout Jake Long the first selection. Considering how the quarterbacks have left a lot to be desired this season, it wouldn't be surprising to see teams recognize the relative safety that an elite tackle like Joeckel provides and consider him very early -- perhaps even at No. 1 overall.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Weekly Rewind: As QBs Drop, OT Joeckel Continues to Rise

Very impressed with Joeckel. As each game goes by, he just continues to get more dominant. At this point, I wouldn't be mad at all with us taking Joeckel and Chance Warmack with our 1st round picks (remind anyone of the *****?).
    ManofGod likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Very impressed with Joeckel. As each game goes by, he just continues to get more dominant. At this point, I wouldn't be mad at all with us taking Joeckel and Chance Warmack with our 1st round picks (remind anyone of the *****?).
    don't want Warmack. We need more playmakers more than an interior linemen. With Joeckel I think our line would be fine

LT Joeckel LG Turner/Watkins or FA C Scott Wells RG Harvey Dahl RT Saffold

I'd be very happy with that line. Get us another receiver or a tight end with our other first. Or shoot someone like Teo who is a playmaker on the other side of the ball.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    don't want Warmack. We need more playmakers more than an interior linemen. With Joeckel I think our line would be fine

LT Joeckel LG Turner/Watkins or FA C Scott Wells RG Harvey Dahl RT Saffold

I'd be very happy with that line. Get us another receiver or a tight end with our other first. Or shoot someone like Teo who is a playmaker on the other side of the ball.
    Im a firm believer in the BPA approach, also I love building from the lines out. I can do nothing but smirk at the thought of a starting offensive line like this :

Joeckel / Warmack / Wells / Dahl / Saffold

THE DREAM TEAM

Ramhearder is offline Registered User

Im a firm believer in the BPA approach, also I love building from the lines out. I can do nothing but smirk at the thought of a starting offensive line like this :

That would be amazing, but I can't shake passing on a defensive playmaker like Teo. We obviously are going to lose games on defense without better LB and safety play.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I'm not a big bpa guy. So we take a QB, DE or CB even with far lesser needs? Position needs should always play a part. An interior linemen isn't going to make as big an impact on our offense as adding a great receiving tight end, a stud linebacker like Teo and on.

Plus I just don't see it happening. They know that we need playmakers as much as anything. Adding Warmack and Joeckel would still leave us without far less playmakers than most teams.(I'm all for drafting one of the two).

I'd honestly rather get a WR in free agent(Wallace, Jennings or Bowe) but I'd still rather take Teo, Eifert(may be too early), Star or Allen. If we don't like any of those guys I'd rather trade down. Plus, like others have noted, it's a very strong year in terms of interior linemen. We can address that need later.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Historically, Fisher hasn't drafted offensive linemen in the first round, so the chances of us taking two o-linemen in the first are pretty slim.
    Last edited by cfh128; -11-12-2012 at 07:38 AM.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Historically, Fisher hasn't drafted offensive linemen in the first round, so the chances of us taking two o-linemen in the first are pretty slim.
    Saffold is back and they've sort of made it clear they see him at the LT going forward. Nobody drafts a RT in the first round. You can fill that position in free agency or the 2nd round.

The Rams will draft the BPA with the 2 first round picks. Zero doubt about it. Speculating on who that will be is fun but silly. I love Teo but he's a MLB in the 4-3 or ILB in the 3-4.