Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

For weeks now, most of us assumed Miami would take C. Long

Don't look now but, J. Long is moving up on the rumor mill as the 1st pick of the draft. Scott Wright, now has the Fins taking J. Long and the Rams taking C.Long. A lot of connecting the dots on Fin fan boards also see some moves pointing to J. Long as the pick. It should start too heat up in the next few weeks.

Miami needs to play it safe, J. Long is a very safe pick to start to rebuild around.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-01-2008 at 12:26 PM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: For weeks now, most of us assumed Miami would take C. Long

The phins are in the same situation as the Rams. They need so much...that they could take any of the "fab 4" and be ok.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

yeah and S.W. has Mario Manningham(sic?) going to us in round 2...him and Chris Long with our first 2 picks and Jim beam better look out because im emptying the "still"!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

That is interesting, but today I saw Pat Kirwin on NFL.com having the 'Phins select V. Gholston. Talk about a riser!

as TX says there are enough needs for us that whomever of the Top 4 we select, we'll benefit from that pick immediately.

someone needs to tell Scott Wright that the draft starts at 3PM EST, not 12 noon as his timer is incorrect. I'm visiting that site too much!

The next few weeks ought to be real interesting.

Go Rams!:r

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Don't look now but, J. Long is moving up on the rumor mill as the 1st pick of the draft. Scott Wright, now has the Fins taking J. Long and the Rams taking C.Long. A lot of connecting the dots on Fin fan boards also see some moves pointing to J. Long as the pick. It should start too heat up in the next few weeks.

Miami needs to play it safe, J. Long is a very safe pick to start to rebuild around.
    FOR weeks now "I" have thought the Fins would select Matt Ryan... that has not changed, and unless they make a drastic move to aquire a starting QB in FA between now and then, won't change.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

And I've suggested that pick for longer than Mr. Wright! He copied me, darnit!

Miami has picked up two linebackers, Charlie Anderson and Reggie Torbor, both 4th year vets, after parting ways with Zach Thomas and two other LB's. Well, they also parted with three offensive tackles, namely their starting RT, LJ Shelton, and only picked up Smiley, a guard from SF and also a 4th year pro, for their offensive line. In addition, they picked up Randy Starks, a DT from the Titans and yet another 4th year vet. I swear they picked up a nose tackle from the Cowboys too, but ESPN doesn't have him listed.

In any case, they've made an effort to keep their front seven stocked with talent, namely younger vets, while they've released or refrained from signing three OT's, two Centers and a Guard from their offensive line.

This has signaled to me that they intend on getting an opening day starting OT in this draft, and probably another two offensive linemen if they don't sign anyone else. While there is good talent to be had in the second round, it is looking more and more likely that Gosder Cherilus could be taken in the late first round. To ensure themselves of an opening day starter(something that we do not need), I believe that they are fully planning on taking Jake Long first, as the value and need is there.

I actually doubt that they will pick up a franchise QB in this draft as they will test Beck for another year or two and let him take the hits while Long gets used to the NFL. Then, once he asserts his dominance, they'll pick up a QB(maybe a lefty, so Long can play RT?) to replace Beck. If they do go after a QB, I'd expect them to take maybe Woodson from Kentucky in the 3rd round, as he was a first round prospect who has shown he needs some time to develop before starting.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Hmmm. This is interesting. The only pick in the mocks I've seen for the Phins is Chris Long.

If they take Jake, and we take Chris, well lets just say I'll be one happy fan. However if they snag Chris Long, Gholston would still be a great pick at #2.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I swear they picked up a nose tackle from the Cowboys too, but ESPN doesn't have him listed.
    I believe the player you are referring to is Jason Ferguson. hmmm... I didn't know the guy who played in all of those horror movies had a last name.

WHAT SAY YE?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I believe the player you are referring to is Jason Ferguson. hmmm... I didn't know the guy who played in all of those horror movies had a last name.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Vorhees...
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

I would have felt a little more positive about the phins taking J. Long BEFORE the announcement of trading J. Taylor to the ******. That move doesn't thrill me at all on both accounts. I know that I've said before that I didn't want to sacrifice parts of the future for the acquisition of Taylor, but then again, I also didn't plan on having to see him twice a year for the next couple of years either. I'm just a bit perturbed how that one move could possibly effect us on two accounts. BLAH

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Regarding the Jake Long pick to Miami, it makes a lot of sense and I listed it as a serious possibility in my last mock write-up. For what it's worth, both Mel Kiper and Todd McShay now have Jake Long going to the Dolphins in their latest mock drafts, freeing up Chris Long to fall to us. IMO, dream scenario. Chris Long is hands down the top player on my board right now.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRamFan View Post
    I would have felt a little more positive about the phins taking J. Long BEFORE the announcement of trading J. Taylor to the ******. That move doesn't thrill me at all on both accounts. I know that I've said before that I didn't want to sacrifice parts of the future for the acquisition of Taylor, but then again, I also didn't plan on having to see him twice a year for the next couple of years either. I'm just a bit perturbed how that one move could possibly effect us on two accounts. BLAH
    ...huh? Jason Taylor hasn't been traded. Methinks you may have fallen for an April Fool's Joke.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Go Phins and Jake Long! (Only until Draft Day)...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    ...huh? Jason Taylor hasn't been traded. Methinks you may have fallen for an April Fool's Joke.
    Yeah....I think you're right....duh

Well, here's where I was fooled....took that one hook line and sinker, too...

Miami Journal Online - Sports - Dolphins to deal Taylor to *****

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I have also suggested this in a previous post, but Chris Long is still the number one guy in my mind. Vernon Carey was there best O-line player last year and he played on the left side. They have said they are keeping him there. Long could definately play on the right, but addressing another need and getting an attractive guy like Gosder Cherilus later isn't a bad option for the,.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast