Thread: Weird Senerio

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Weird Senerio

If Snead and Fisher Fall in love with Clowney(which I wouldn't be surprised on Fisher's part, not sure on Snead's) is it possible they could switch with Houston, moving up to take him and offer Chris Long for the switch? maybe have Houston throw in a fourth round pick to even things out since its a one spot switch, not sure on that.

Don't get me wrong I love Chris Long, his motor, team leadership, etc and don't want him gone, just thinking hypothetically. I think Chris's motor might pair up well with J.J. which might be appealing to the Texans and they could still get their QB.

I am usually thinking the other way trading down, but Fisher in an interview said they could go either way. An obvious smokescreen statement, but what if? That would help solve, at least without getting super creative how to keep Clowney on the field when Long is already there.

If this has already been brought up sorry, I haven't seen anything on it, but wanted your thoughts on the matter. Is it plausable, if you think yes feel free to tweak to what you think is more fair for both sides. Would you be okay with this? Alright fire away :-)

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Weird Senerio

Houston, I suspect, would love this deal. It would give them Long and a chance to take the QB of their choice.

I don't like the deal for the Rams. First, even if one could assume that Clowney will be a better player than Long (an assumption I'm not willing to make at this point), you are essentially turning 2 high-quality players (Long and the player obtained with the pick) for one player (Clowney) and a fourth round selection.

Here's a twist on your suggestion...

What if, instead, the Rams offered to swap picks and offered William Hayes as compensation (without seeking the 4th round pick back from Houston). Now Houston gets a quality DE and a chance to take whichever QB they want, and the Rams still end up with a DE rotation of Long, Quinn and Clowney.

I'm not saying I'd make that deal, but I do like it better than one that removes Long from the roster.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

According to Over the Cap, the Rams would incur a $3 million cap hit by moving Chris Long for 2014. So even if they fell in love with Clowney, and even if they felt like they had to trade up to get him, I don't really see much sense in this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

A trade up will likely be the only way Clowney makes it to St. Louis.

But offering just Chris Long will not get it done, IMO.

First off, my guess is Chris Long's value is no higher than a 3rd round pick on the open market, and the Texans are certain to receive far more value than that if they trade down with another team. Of course there'd be more risk involved if they traded below the Jags and Browns, who could both take a QB, but depending on how they view the QB class, it might be worth that risk.

kman is offline Registered User

there is no way this happens, when have you seen something like that? too many moving parts..

kman is offline Registered User

if anything a trade would just deal with picks, not a player

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Thanks for everyone's insight. I like Avs scenario can see that working out. Nick, I need to take into consideration cap hits. I fault myself for not learning that part of this game/business. Thank you for bringing that angle up to mind. I will work on being more informative on the money side of the equation.

Anymore thoughts are welcomed!

demiurge is offline Registered User

I find it extremely unlikely that the Texans would give up the #1 pick for our pick and a backup DE. I respect Hayes, but no way in hell he carries that level of value. Long they might do it for - but we shouldn't. Either way, I don't see this working.