View Poll Results: With the 2nd pick in the 2008 NFL Draft the St. Louis RAMS pick?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Long

36 64.29%
  • Vernon Gholston

8 14.29%
  • Glenn Dorsey

12 21.43%
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

We're on the clock

The Dolphins have selected Jake Long. Who would you pick?

Ramer is offline Registered User

Re: We're on the clock

I have to go with Chris Long. I feel he is going to turn into a Pro Bowl player like his father!

viper is offline Registered User

Re: We're on the clock (Hypothetical)

With the clock ticking, I had to pull the trigger on Chris Long. With all else considered, he is the one without the question marks. Although, I'd be happy with any of the big 4.

Can't wait until Saturday!

Go Rams!!!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'd still go with Dorsey. I'd build this line around Carriker and Dorsey up the middle. There's something that really no one has said yet about pairing these two on the D line so I'll do it. They would stuff the run. Period. No one would be able to run up the middle with those two plugging it up. Who would you double team? Dorsey, that leaves either Carriker or any DE also not doubled. Carriker? You actually going to let Dorsey go one on one with somebody? He'll always get in the backfield. Those two plugging the middle would allow the Rams to put above average talent at both DE positions.

The number one thing to do on defense in the NFL is stop the run. You do that, your pass coverage becomes alot easier. A Carriker/Dorsey/Ryan rotation at the DT's would be one of the most talented young lines in the NFL and a luxury to build your whole defense around it.

Shoot, with those two at DT, HUbison could get to the QB at the DE position.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Its been hard for me to pick between Dorsey and Long. If the DT's progress which i sense they will Chris Long will be a great addition to the d-line and we will have a good one in the future. Jake Long is still my favorite and i'd take him over both of them in a second. So Miami do me a favor and don't take him. I might be the only guy who thinks that, but whatever Jake Long is the man!!!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I'm with the beast on this one. I think our current DT's will be great in a few years. We have two young DT's, and a great vet who can teach them more.

Chris Long was my choice because in a few years, we'll probably have one of the more solid young D lines.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Chris Long. He's been on top of my board for a while now, and remains there.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Those two plugging the middle would allow the Rams to put above average talent at both DE positions.
    Yet teams like Minnesota and Jacksonville appear likely to use high draft picks, possibly first round picks, on defensive ends because their strong inside duos haven't been able to turn the above average players at end into excellent pass rushers.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

chris long!!!:l
    Built RAM tough

max
    max is offline Registered User

Oops. I inadvertently picked Dorsey cause that's who I think the Rams will take. I keep going back and forth between CLong and Dorsey, myself. Gotta give the Rams FO credit, no one knows who they really like best.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Chris Long. He's been on top of my board for a while now, and remains there.

Yet teams like Minnesota and Jacksonville appear likely to use high draft picks, possibly first round picks, on defensive ends because their strong inside duos haven't been able to turn the above average players at end into excellent pass rushers.
    touche' Nick,

this is a great argument. Minnesota has the best tandem of DTackles in the NFL in Kevin Williams/Pat Williams yet have still never been able to generate a good pass rush - you cannot run on the Vikings but you can pass on them. Jacksonville DID have(not anymore) John Henderson and Marcus Stroud who clogged the middle but Jags still had trouble getting a lot of pass rush.

Just because you have dominant defensive tackles, does not mean that your defensive ends will be productive. Granted, Leonard Little WAS a great defensive end but he is nearing the end of his career. You guys have almost nothing now at Defensive End - you need to draft Chris Long or Vernon Gholston.......I would take Chris Long.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Everyone remember Spoon. He was a menace as a blitzing LB last year. You won't need a MLB plugging the .....

Awww forget it. Let's just draft McFadden and get it over with.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Could it be that our RAMS are playing games with all the Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey predictions that the experts are throwing around? Maybe our RAMS do trade down but just far enough to still select Gholston.

All this talk about Glenn Dorsey is bait as far as I'm concerned. The Falcons and Saints want Dorsey bad. There maybe others in the Dorsey hunt as well.

We need to draft a player of need forget about the best player available. The NFL is about winning now and especially in Scott Linehan's case. It's win now baby or hit the road! Linehan as we all know is in the last year of his contract. I don't know how much his opinion will weigh in our picks but he better push for need, period. That need because of the players in this years draft and their overall rankings by the experts is magnified because of the availabilty of 2 very good DEFENSIVE ENDS.

I would prefer Chris Long but Scott Wright has me convinced Vernon Gholston is the type of DE we really need. So we trade down pick up an extra pick or two and save some money as well as selecting Gholston?

Frito is offline Registered User

Im with laram0! I think that Linehan is smoking out a trade from Atlanta or NO and hoping Gholston will be there so he can get team need answered now and Xtra picks. I wish we could select Dorsey myself and build off of him like txramsfan says. I think he would open things up for the LB's and DE we have and would give Defense many different options and we could still select from many prospects at DE in this draft.

Best player Dorsey. Best chance at success long term least question marks C. Long. Best right now need player V. Gholston but he is biggest question mark.

I would love to have C.Long he is the glamour pick but, I choose Dorsey.

harrydog is offline Registered User

It's really a great situation that we're in here...debating the pros and cons of these three highly touted defensive players. Most of the other NFL teams would love to be in such a predicament. I almost feel that we can't really make a bad decision here. Obviously that can be debated but I think any of the three will instantly make our team better and I'm not going to complain about the choice we end up making. I'm going to look on the positive side of things.