MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

We've been told otherwise, but ...

The official word a while back was that Carriker is on schedule to participate in camp. Possibly, but possibly not. The type of injury he sustained and subsequent surgical procedure he underwent has been known in some instances to take a year for full recovery to occur.

I am not trying to imply that he will require a full year as obviously I am not privy to that information, but on the other hand it is possible. Would the Rams want to come clean about the real timetable for his recovery? Maybe, but most likely not, particularly not in the days leading up to the draft when inscrutability could well result in an extra draft pick (possibly a #2) via trade.

My question to my fellow Clannies is: If the Rams know Carriker is going to require much longer than what's been reported, will this affect the Rams' draft strategy? If Chris Long, Glen Dorsey, (let's assume he passes the medical tests for now), and Vernon Gholston are still on the board, and Carriker is toast for the 2008 season, what would be the choice?

We have Glover and Wroten at UT, and Ryan at NT .. Do we still draft Long or Gholston, and try to sign a free agent UT? Or would drafting Dorsey be the better scenario given Carrikers extended absence? Thoughts ??

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: We've been told otherwise, but ...

It seems simple to me. If Carriker is going to be out longer than expected - I sincerely doubt it's all of '08 though it could dip into camp and the preseason - then you sign a free agent capable of playing in the rotation with Glover and Wroten (if he's still around). You don't alter your plans or your board for the second overall pick because a guy you have might be out a few additional weeks or months. The only reason you would do that is if you have serious questions about his long-term health and availability, which we shouldn't.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

the fact that they havent gone after any DT in F.A (that im aware of anyway) tells me that they have faith in AC being fully healthy again well within the next year,draft someone who probably wouldnt be NFL ready until a year or two(is no sure thing even with a 2nd overall) isnt gonna cover AC even if he is out for the full year!

a late round pick would be fine should they decide to cut Wroten tho.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -03-25-2008 at 03:37 AM.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

you draft for the future not next season assuming Carriker was out all season the following season we would have the same problem as if he was fit this season too many DT's and not enough DE's

TekeRam is offline Registered User

If you're only one or two pieces away from contention, it affects your draft strategy. This year, if we compete, it's through the shear will of our players and luck with injuries, not because we have the depth or all-pro quality team that's needed.

If AC's out, 08 seems even more a wash, but it doesn't affect your strategy because you're planning on just getting to a respectable record this season anyway to lead to contention in 09. If we were on the verge last year(Browns) and looked to make a run this year, then you need to draft a replacement or trade for one.

Still draft the DE and sign a FA DT.

Rambos is online now Registered User

If you're only one or two pieces away from contention
    Did you have the Gaints one or two pieces away? They just lost their best player to TV and the coach was about to be ran out of town.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Why should we presume that Carriker is not on schedule?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Did you have the Gaints one or two pieces away? They just lost their best player to TV and the coach was about to be ran out of town.
    They had a the football frankenstein, Brandon Jacobs, as the heir to Barber, and while, yes, Coughlin was about to be run out, they had also made the playoffs the last two years.

They had all of their offensive starters in place, and only needed a starting CB and DT. They picked up Ross and Alford in the draft and other than that, they drafted for depth.

So yes, they were only a couple pieces away. Other than that, they needed depth, luck, confidence, and Eli to mature.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Why should we presume that Carriker is not on schedule?
    We shouldn't ... I was merely speculating and curious what others thought were that scenario to emerge - which isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility unfortunately ..

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I don't think we need to stress it out too much. We have Glover and Wroten still able to play. We have a starter out of Ryan. I dont believe we should change our draft plans and get Dorsey in the first round.

Sign a FA. A veteran who won't cost alot if Carriker isnt available.