Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: What about keeping Bulger as a starter

Here's a list of quarterbacks taken in the top five picks in the last decade, and how many games they started in their rookie year:

Stafford: 10 starts
    Sanchez: 15 starts
    Ryan: 16 starts
    Russell: 1 start
    Young: 13 starts
    Smith: 7 starts
    Manning: 7 starts
    Rivers: 0 starts
    Palmer: 0 starts
    Carr: 16 starts
    Vick: 2 starts

As you can see, only two of the eleven quarterbacks failed to start a single game as a rookie. Those two (Rivers and Palmer) both had veterans in front of them playing good football that season (Brees & Kitna), and so they didn't need to be put on the field.

Vick had Falcons veteran Chris Chandler in front of him, so he didn't need to be rushed on either.

Russell missed all of training camp and the preseason, signed in mid-September, and still got onto the field for the Raiders.

Simply put, if the Rams select Sam Bradford with the first overall pick, pay him $70-80 million with $40 million or more guaranteed, he's going to see the field in 2010 at some point. You can't spend that much money for a guy whom you aren't going to play in Year One. It's just not going to happen.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

I agree 100% normally

ps. You dont take a guy like Bradford #1 overall, pay him 70 million dollars, and sit him.[/QUOTE]

But THIS year the money doesnt matter ( so to speak ) and I think we will see some abnormal stuff going on.

Null could be a good QB and time will tell, but if we draft Bradford then his importance to this team is diminished IMO, and I think you could get a 3rd QB almost anywhere next year. Draft, FA, the street(Reiley)

thats all Im saying

RebelYell is offline Registered User

For rookie QB starts, Stafford and Sanchez started week 1 but they missed games to injuries. I think it would be very unlikely Bradford isn't playing by week 6.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by dave626 View Post
    But THIS year the money doesnt matter ( so to speak )
    The money doesn't matter ONLY in regards to the salary cap. But the Rams are still going to be paying Bradford in 2010, and because of the price of first overall contracts, they're going to need some kind of return on that.

You don't sign a guy to a six-year $80 million contract with multi-millions worth of immediate bonus money only to not put him on the field at all in the first year. Teams just can't justify that.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    For rookie QB starts, Stafford and Sanchez started week 1 but they missed games to injuries. I think it would be very unlikely Bradford isn't playing by week 6.
    Thanks for the clarification on those two guys.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rob6465 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dave626 View Post
    you have your starter (Bulger)
    you have a decent backup (Feeley)
    you have your future QB or work in progress guy (Bradford)
    you take Null and put him on the PS.

No one is saying you take 6 QBs into the season, thats just stupid to even suggest.

Boller is an UFA so hes gone.
    Reiley was signed late last year as an emergency guy.

Null was not so impressive last year that he earned the 2010 starting job, or backup job, or even a 3rd string spot. So if someone where to grab him off the PS then so be it because you would already your THREE QBs.
    Agree with you 150%

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I have trouble imagining a scenario in which the Rams draft Bradford No. 1 overall and keep Bulger.

If the Rams take a QB in Round 2 or 3, I could see them keeping Bulger for one more year, putting the rookie on the bench behind Feeley, and sending Null to the Practice Squad (though, given what the Chargers received for Charlie Whitehurst, maybe trading Null would make more sense).

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Spags proved last year that he isn't going to just hand the starting job over to anybody, regardless of how much he is getting paid or when he got drafted. If Bradford is our pick, I'm sure he would be starting at some point during the season, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Bulger or Feeley starting week 1.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I can see Bulger staying if a QB is not drafted by the Rams in the first round. Tebow or something.

I think he'd be gone if the Rams grab Bradford. And I think that might be a mistake.

I wouldn't base the playing time of Bradford, or any young QB, on the young QBs taken in previous years. They must do what's right for the QBs development, not what the money and popularity of the FO demands, regardless of their job security issues.

I say keep Bulger if at all possible if Bradford is taken. At some point with this teams luck, both he and Feely will go down, and Bradford will get a little time in having seen how not to do it.
    Semper Fi!

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Time to follow in Carolina's Foot steps ... realize that, despite giving up loads of money, Bulger is not our future, Its easier to move on if he's not around ...

Bradford should start .. Sanchez / Ryan & Flacco learnt more playing then riding the pine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12