Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

What about the Rams moving up to #1?

I haven't seen anything like this being discussed, but I think it's a reasonable option. It seems that Miami is interested in both Chris Long and Matt Ryan. If the phins are having trouble deciding which player to build their franchise around, why not trade down to #2 where they can grab Matt Ryan AND have the added benefit of getting one of the guys they wanted at the #2 rate instead of the #1 rate? Add whatever they'd get from the Rams to move down (our 3rd rounder for their 4th? our 4th rounder?) and it seems a great move by Miami - one of the guys they wanted anyway, cheaper than they expected, and an additional draft pick to boot.

From the Rams perspective, we get the guy we want instead of having to select somebody who doesn't fill an immediate need or reaching to grab somebody who shouldn't even be a top 5 pick. The major drawback from the Rams perspective would be that we'd have to pay more at the #1 spot than the #2 spot, but knowledge of this would also allow the Rams to move up more cheaply than the "draft value chart" suggests.

I think to free up money to make this move, Little might have to be cut. But if we know in advance we can grab C. Long, this shouldn't be too concerning anyway.

Option #2 - trade down to #5 (KC) and grab Gholston there. If Miami grabs Long, KC is probably terrified that both guys they'd really want (Jake Long and Matt Ryan) are gone by #5 (Long to us, Ryan to ATL). If Long and Ryan are gone at #5, who is KC going to take? Their biggest needs are all across the offensive line, and there's no offensive lineman other than Long that you can justify taking at #5. They could use a WR, but again absolutely no elite WR in the draft. Same with CB, and that's not really an immediate need for them. If Long and Ryan are gone, the value on the board is almost exactly opposite of everything they need. This would be an awful spot for the Chiefs.

Just throwing these out there. They seem pretty reasonable though if you ask me.

STLunatic is offline Registered User

Re: What about the Rams moving up to #1?

no.........

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I could see KC giving us something and #5 for our #2. I wouldnt mind that, because we would still get a decent starter out of Gholston.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Option #2 - trade down to #5 (KC) and grab Gholston there. If Miami grabs Long, KC is probably terrified that both guys they'd really want (Jake Long and Matt Ryan) are gone by #5 (Long to us, Ryan to ATL). If Long and Ryan are gone at #5, who is KC going to take? Their biggest needs are all across the offensive line, and there's no offensive lineman other than Long that you can justify taking at #5. They could use a WR, but again absolutely no elite WR in the draft. Same with CB, and that's not really an immediate need for them. If Long and Ryan are gone, the value on the board is almost exactly opposite of everything they need. This would be an awful spot for the Chiefs.
    I like 2, better then one. Long at the one spot, how much would that cost and in the long run, no pun intened, Gholston might be as good or better only time will tell.
    Billy Devaney has already joked have we traded our 2 pick yet, he likes to move back.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    From the Rams perspective, we get the guy we want
    We have no idea how much the Rams front office and personnel department want Long. Fans want him, but maybe the organization doesn't see him as a player they want to trade up for.

At the second spot in each round, I think the Rams are in a position to get three strong prospects. I'm not a huge fan of trading away a day one pick - and that's what I think it would cost to swap with Miami - to ensure that we get Chris Long.

The major drawback from the Rams perspective would be that we'd have to pay more at the #1 spot than the #2 spot
    Which is a pretty big drawback when you're talking about a team that isn't in a great cap position and isn't a big market city.

Option #2 - trade down to #5 (KC) and grab Gholston there. If Miami grabs Long, KC is probably terrified that both guys they'd really want (Jake Long and Matt Ryan) are gone by #5 (Long to us, Ryan to ATL). If Long and Ryan are gone at #5, who is KC going to take?
    Jake Long, Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis are all options for KC. Depending on how Clady works out at his pro day, he could be in consideration. I don't think they're so enamoured with Ryan that they'd trade up to get him.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I haven't seen anything like this being discussed, but I think it's a reasonable option. It seems that Miami is interested in both Chris Long and Matt Ryan. If the phins are having trouble deciding which player to build their franchise around, why not trade down to #2 where they can grab Matt Ryan AND have the added benefit of getting one of the guys they wanted at the #2 rate instead of the #1 rate? Add whatever they'd get from the Rams to move down (our 3rd rounder for their 4th? our 4th rounder?) and it seems a great move by Miami - one of the guys they wanted anyway, cheaper than they expected, and an additional draft pick to boot.

From the Rams perspective, we get the guy we want instead of having to select somebody who doesn't fill an immediate need or reaching to grab somebody who shouldn't even be a top 5 pick. The major drawback from the Rams perspective would be that we'd have to pay more at the #1 spot than the #2 spot, but knowledge of this would also allow the Rams to move up more cheaply than the "draft value chart" suggests.

I think to free up money to make this move, Little might have to be cut. But if we know in advance we can grab C. Long, this shouldn't be too concerning anyway.

Just throwing these out there. They seem pretty reasonable though if you ask me.
    Option #1
    Ya'll beat me to it. I was going to post something like this later today. However, according to the NFL value it would require that the Rams give a SECOND round pick to Miami and then the Dolphins would kick back a fourth rounder to make the deal. While we would lose one first day pick we would end up with the same number of picks that we have now. I believe that his could happen for many of the reasons that you mentioned above.

Option #2
    I don't see this one happening as I don't think K.C. has the assets (or the stomach) to make this kind of deal. Again, according to the value chart it would require the Chiefs to pony up a 2nd AND 3rd round picks and this is probably too rich for them. Remember they have got many other needs just like us.

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Option #1
    Ya'll beat me to it. I was going to post something like this later today. However, according to the NFL value it would require that the Rams give a SECOND round pick to Miami and then the Dolphins would kick back a fourth rounder to make the deal. While we would lose one first day pick we would end up with the same number of picks that we have now. I believe that his could happen for many of the reasons that you mentioned above.

Option #2
    I don't see this one happening as I don't think K.C. has the assets (or the stomach) to make this kind of deal. Again, according to the value chart it would require the Chiefs to pony up a 2nd AND 3rd round picks and this is probably too rich for them. Remember they have got many other needs just like us.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I think that teams moving up this year will have to pay far less than the "value chart" suggests for a couple reasons.

First, a #1 is so much more valuable than a #2 because oftentimes there is a can't-miss standout that all 32 teams are drueling over. That's not the case this year. There are 5 or 6 great but not once-in-a-lifetime guys, so the value difference between #1 and #2 (or #2 and #5) is less than the chart suggests.

Second, with the much higher price teams pay for top 5 picks now, the value of these picks has fallen, and so you can probably move up quite a bit cheaper than you could have 5 years ago.

I don't think the Rams or Chiefs would be willing to give what the the value chart says to move up, but I also don't think they'd have to.