Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    demiurge is offline Registered User

What about WR James Jones?

If there's one place that could use some injection of veteran leadership, its the extremely young WR corps. Jones seems like a decent fit at the right price - a capable guy with a great work ethic that could be a second coach to the kids.

Might be out of our price range after resigning Saffold, but definitely worth a look IMO.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: What about WR James Jones?

Overpriced for a guy that has been made 100x's better by the QB and the system he plays in.....

rather have 3 cheaper FA WRs that are more athletic

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Jones doesn't do much for me, to be honest. I can't help but remember the PFF analysis from a few years back that looked at a three year sample of all receivers and found Jones had one of the worst drop % in football. I'm just not that interested, personally.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Too inconsistent of a player for my tastes, Rams already got enough of his type on our team.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Agree with the posts here. Two main things about him for me.

1) He is inconsistent and drops a lot.
    2) We have James Jones types of Receivers everywhere on the team. If we pick up receivers it needs to be #1 or #2 (but #1 esque) on any team type of receiver.

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

I agree with everyone here, as well. I would like a WR that when you say his name it makes you feel as though the Rams have a legitimate aerial threat. IMO austin, givens, cook, and bailey (probably in the minority on that one) are receivers that can be actual threats to opposing teams. A guy like Jones doesnt hold that but a player like Watkins, Nicks, Evans, or Benjamin could be that player defenses pay extra attention to.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

An absolute no. Would only stunt the growth of people like Bailey, Quick and Pettis.

If he's not a potential number one, he need not apply.

kman is offline Registered User

don't think hes a true #1, but someone will pay him like one...no thanks

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Have to agree with everyone. Not a fan, we have enough similar receivers on the roster already for him to add any value to the team. Rather it be in the draft, Watkins(I wish) or Evans if he falls somehow.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Since I feel the dude needs some support, the one big thing that I've seen with Jones is that he does have a nose for the endzone. He seems like the anti-Ram, as he does less outside of the 20 than he does inside. Maybe he's actually just what Sam needs to start scoring TD's and stop putting up 3's...

That said, I'm probably not paying him what he thinks he's worth. He's definitely been helped out by being on the other side of some rather good receivers and with one of the best QB's in the game.

Here's a good game: Who will have better stats? Jones, wherever he ends up, or Decker with the Jets?
    I believe!

Randart is offline Registered User

Surprisingly I am not in on Jones either, love Decker but not James so much as you guys covered this so well. Too much for an older version of guys we have maybe with less talent too. I say keep developing our group of young guys and of course love the WR's at the top of this years draft! Evans or Watkins would really round out our young core of guys...

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I think James Jones is a product of system and QB like Eric Decker...

But a receiver the Rams should target is Julian Edelman of the Patriots...Just think how Bradford used Amendola to move the chains instead of a #1 we need a guy like Amendola again a pure chain mover

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    I think James Jones is a product of system and QB like Eric Decker...

But a receiver the Rams should target is Julian Edelman of the Patriots...Just think how Bradford used Amendola to move the chains instead of a #1 we need a guy like Amendola again a pure chain mover
    I'm going to say that the chain mover guy next year will be Stedman Bailey

demiurge is offline Registered User

Couple of counterpoints:

The thought that we are going to bring in a #1 guy in free agency is silly. Those guys are a) never released, and b) we don't have enough cap room. We are talking about bringing in a midlevel guy in free agency if any at all. So I was looking at what attributes would be useful there.

I'd disagree that we have a team full of guys like Jones - he's been in a veteran and explosive WR corps, and the one year he got a shot at starting he had 14 TDs. That was 2 years ago. We don't have a guy on the roster now that's sniffed the end zone 14 times in their CAREER at the WR spot.

As far as overpriced, we don't know. This is his second gig in free agency - he resigned with the Packers for 3.2 million average over 3 years last time around. That's a solid contract for a role player, and wouldn't break the bank here.

I agree he certainly has benefitted from the system and the QB. But as a true #1 is only going to come from the draft, and we don't have ANY veteran leadership for our young guys, I was looking for someone that would fit that type of mold, could contribute, and would be a friendly contract.

I think Edelman would be great - except I think he is going to get a larger contract. But having somebody that's actually learned something in the NFL helping get these kids ready I think has value, as our WR coach isn't one of the top tier guys.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Julian Edelman is another slot receiver why would we want another guy there with TA and Cook?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast