View Poll Results: In projecting the draft, the biggest factor is...

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • All-Star Games (East-West Shrine, Senior Bowl)

4 20.00%
  • The Scouting Combine

10 50.00%
  • Pro Day Workouts

2 10.00%
  • Rams Park Invitee List

4 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What is the biggest factor in your analysis of draft prospects?

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Re: What is the biggest factor in your analysis of draft prospects?

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I wouldn't say 0 effect. If that were the case they wouldn't give the test. But it, like every other evaluation, has a limited effect.

And I'm not sure that Vince Young and Ryan Fitzpatrick were the best choices of examples. One quickly fizzled out and hasn't played a snap in over a year. The other is currently a starter.
    I just put those guys there because they were first to my mind. And Fitzpatrick, the QB whos GM is looking to find his replacement in this draft? I could find you a few 48+ guys that had no impact on the football field, and I beg to think that Fitzpatrick almost fits that category, not that it really matters anyways.

The wonderlic is irrelevant. If you want to see how smart a guy is, go look at his college scores. Half of these guys got 2.0 GPA's, are barely passing. Mo Claiborne has a "learning disability" and got a 4 on the wonderlic.. He seems to be having NO trouble learning the Cowboys defensive scheme.

THE DREAM TEAM

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I could find you a few 48+ guys that had no impact on the football field, and I beg to think that Fitzpatrick almost fits that category
    While I'm quite curious to see this list of yours that documents the many 48+ guys that had no impact on the football field, it's silly to say that a QB who has started 67 NFL games has had no impact on the football field.
    The wonderlic is irrelevant.
    Then why do they do it? Why does the NFL spend time and money for their combine invitees to take the test? Why does the NFL hire the Wonderlic company to design and administer the test?

It's a factor, just like every other test. It's not a litmus test. It's not an end-all, be-all. There are successful low scorers just like there are successful slow runners and successful weak benchers.

That....doesn't....mean....it's....irrelvant. It's just a factor.
    Vinnie25 likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Why do offensive linemen run the 40 yard dash? Hell, why do Punters and Kickers? No one is going to draft them any different based on if they can break 5.00 or not. If teh due can kick the long ball, no one will care if he'll get to the 50 yard line only as soon as the kick returner already is.

Because it's, as Hub says, a litmus test. It puts everyone on a level field and allows comparisons between players. Does it hold much weight, no, but it allows teams to have one more look into the brains of potential draftees.
    I believe!

RuffRams is offline Registered User

It has been proven that the wonderlic is actually a great indicator of better QBs and OLs (especially LTs and Cs) over the inferior ones.
    Last edited by RuffRams; -01-21-2013 at 03:11 AM.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Nick's posts in the Draft & FA forum.

Hey, I don't have time for much else and you gotta admit he really knows his stuff.

MauiRam likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12