View Poll Results: What chance the Rams make the 2nd pick?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100%.......they will select a player at #2

1 3.23%
  • 90%

2 6.45%
  • 80%

0 0%
  • 70%

1 3.23%
  • 60%

0 0%
  • 50%.....it's a coin flip

5 16.13%
  • 40%

8 25.81%
  • 30%

4 12.90%
  • 20%

6 19.35%
  • 10%

0 0%
  • 0%.......trade, no other way about it

4 12.90%
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By RebelYell

Thread: What is the chance the Rams make the 2nd pick of the draft?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

What is the chance the Rams make the 2nd pick of the draft?

I think if they can they will trade the pick. But will there be a partner out there? Will there be a prospect that the Rams simply can't afford to pass on at #2?

What are the chances that, come draft day, the Rams actually make the 2nd pick of the draft?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is the chance the Rams make the 2nd pick of the draft?

My gut tells me that, if the Rams make a pick, it will be because nobody offered a deal worth taking.

As far as "got to have" players at No. 2, the consensus has been that Jake Matthews would be that guy. That makes a lot of sense, as the Rams really could use an OT, and he is nearly unanimously regarded as the top prospect at the position.

If there's another guy I'd throw in who might make the Rams wish to stay at No. 2, its Sammy Watkins. The key will be how he does in the pre-draft evaluation process. He has good (if not freakish) size (6'1, 205), great production (85 receptions, 1,237 yards, 10 TDs) and seems to be a guy who really loves the game. If he can add to that resume a 40 time of 4.40 or better, he might be a very tempting option (particularly given the strong likelihood that a quality OT will be available at pick #13).

Rambos is online now Registered User

If we don't trade the pick it won't be for lack of effort...

“There are going to be some teams that want to pick a quarterback, and that could increase the value of our pick,” Snead told Peter King of Sports Illustrated. ”I have told people I’m not sure I know how to draft without multiple first-round picks, so I’m always going to be interested when it comes to making sure I can continue to do that.”

I think if they can they will trade the pick. But will there be a partner out there?
    I think there will be more then a few partners but here are two obvious ones.

The Browns at four. They need a QB and missed out on RG3. They will not miss out on Johnny Manziel. (Don't want to turn this in a Johnny Manziel thread) But the Browns are a team that needs a QB and a face of the franchise, here is a high profile player that would put them on the map.

Falcons at six. Jadeveon Clowney would be a great get for them. He will be the best defensive player in the draft on paper. Les has a real good in with the Falcons to pull off a deal. Heck it was last year when the Rams traded the 22 pick to the Falcons. part of making deals is having great relationships with other teams. I think this trade has a real chance and we could still have a shot at Mathews and or one of the top OT.

Jadeveon Clowney IMO is the only can't pass on player BUT we have no need at his position.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-02-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    Fortuninerhater likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Oh... and percentage wise, I voted 60/40 in favor of a trade.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Because I agree with Rambos assessment I voted 0% they make the pick. There will be willing trading partners out there because 2 teams that select after us, Jax and Oakland will be looking at QB's and Clowney and Barr. That will prompt some other like Cleveland and Atlanta and even Minnesota to try to move up. I'm not sure we'll get a RGlll type deal, but we'll get something akin to it and that will prompt Jeff and Les to take the deal. Much as I like Jake Mathews, I don't think the Rams will reject a reasonable offer to trade down.

Of course this thread will have greater validity after the Combine.

Go Rams!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

It certainly would serve our purpose to trade down and hopefully pick up another 1st for next year, but as has been mentioned a willing partner is neccessary.

What could cloud the scene for us is if too many QBs enter the draft (Read somewhere Mariota may be reconsidering), and the Texans take Clowney over Bridgewater.

Also, by pubicly saying Sam Bradford is unequivocally our starting QB (even if it's true), Jeff Fisher has done us no favors. The idea that we may draft a QB needs to be felt around the league.

Randart is offline Registered User

You guys all make some fine points, and with the last two years as a small sample size track record for our organization on draft day I almost went with 0% chance we pick at number 2. But hedged my bet at 30% giving in to the I am not sure yet factor for this draft. I like most hope we have teams in a bidding war for our pick to drive up the picks price want to get a multiple pick deal again for this pick.

RebelYell is online now Registered User

Jags, Browns, Raiders, Bucs, Vikings and Titans all are QB options in the 1st round after the Rams.

Regardless of what Houston does, each is a potential trade up partner. Minnesota and Tennessee could easily argue they are just a quality QB away from becoming really good teams.

I also hedged and went 30% but feel it is far less likely in reality.
    Randart likes this.

citr92 is online now Registered User

40% chance they pick at 2

not sure what they'll do

but i think they'll come up with a trade by then, most likely

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Well, I've been thinking there is about a 75% chance the Rams will trade the pick.

But since there is no 25% choice available I went with 20% chance they stay put and take a player.

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I would not be surprised at all if the Rams traded away the pick; it's a complete shot in the dark, but I'd probably put their chances of picking second overall between 30-40%.

Having said that, I also won't be surprised at all if Rams fans are slightly disappointed by the compensation received in such a trade, as there isn't an RGIII in this class at the position IMO.

I think the best chances of a deal for St. Louis are to (1) convince the Browns to give up a future #1 (which they might since they have two this year) in order to take their guy second overall, or (2) work their strong relationship with the Falcons to get a decent deal so Atlanta can move up for Clowney.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

90% Sure it will be Clowney at #2... He's just that good... Unless Houston pairs him up with Watt...

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    90% Sure it will be Clowney at #2... He's just that good... Unless Houston pairs him up with Watt...
    I think Clowney is going to put on a show at the Combine, so it's possible that he might go #1 overall

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I fully expect the Rams to trade out of the 2nd pick, but I only went with 20% because you never know whats going to happen at the combine; somebody could either dominate there or someone could just have a complete meltdown.