View Poll Results: What do you grade the Rams draft?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+

1 1.08%
  • A

2 2.15%
  • A-

13 13.98%
  • B+

20 21.51%
  • B

23 24.73%
  • B-

16 17.20%
  • C+

8 8.60%
  • C

4 4.30%
  • C-

5 5.38%
  • D

0 0%
  • F

1 1.08%
  • The draft was this weekend? I knew i forgot something.

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

What do you grade the Rams draft?

Now that its all well and done, what do you grade this years choices drafted byt the rams?

Ramer is offline Registered User

Re: What do you grade the Rams draft?

I would give the Rams a B+. I feel they had a really good draft, they drafted what they needed. If it wasn't for their 2nd pick I would have given them an A. I think Avery is going to be a good receiver/speacial team play, but he was not a 2nd round pick.

Ramer is offline Registered User

So Tampa_Ram what did you give the Rams and why?

chipperjones is offline Registered User

I say B-. I like Long, Burton, Greco, and Avery, although Avery was chosen too high like previously stated he will be a good player. Long will be a welcomed addition. I really think Burton was a major steal. I dont know about Justin King. That is a wait and see. The same goes for Gleco. He could turn out to be real good, or his short arms could get the best of him. The 2 7th rounders were practice squad-special team hopefuls. So...

Chris Long-A...We need him, plane and simple.

Donnie Avery-B...for his upside...and big play ability...Scotty had to see something in him, and he can contribute on special teams as well.

John Greco-C+....I think he would make a very good guard, and he has talent. Maybe Orlando Pace can groom him at tackle.

Justin King-B-....Very nice value pick, but I dont know how high his ceiling is. Is he gonna be above Macklin, Wade, and Bartell? Will we ever see him?

Keenen Burton-A+...For what was available...this is tremendous. He is a heck of a player. I know some say he is always hurt, which is true, but unlike other injury prone players he will play through it.

Roy Schuening-C-I dont know much about him, but I've read he is blue collar so well see. If he truely is blue collar...he might just make this work.

Vobora and Chamberlain-C-...Maybe they can make their mark on special teams, and good special teams play is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramer View Post
    So Tampa_Ram what did you give the Rams and why?

LOL. Well im the one who gave him the A-. i thought the Rams did a great job with the draft this year. I know a lot of people dont agree with getting Avery so high and think we shoulda picked a diffrent Wr at #33 and if we were so intent on getting Avery we shoulda traded down and got him later or waited till the 3rd. I dont think he woulda been there in the 3rd and have no problems with where we took him. It was shocking at first but i think it is a great pick.

As for the rest of the draft, ive been wanting Chris Long to be a Ram over any of the other fantastic four. We helped beef up our o-line and D-line and got some help in the backfield. IM not to sure on Burton, he was a steal getting him where we did, im glad we got 2 wr's, hoping for the best from them.

So all in all i think it was a great draft, i believe its been one of the better drafts since 2000.
    Last edited by Tampa_Ram; -04-27-2008 at 08:57 PM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Can I wait and give my grade.....say about half way through the season?

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Can I wait and give my grade.....say about half way through the season?

NO!!!!! That ruins everything! Worst idea ever!

rampower is offline Registered User

With 2nd pick and what was available they really couldn't miss in round one, not sold on round 2, but like the stock piling of o lineman. More attention to linebacker would have been nice.

C+.

I'll upgrade it to an A if chis long makes the probowl in 2 or 3 years time.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampower View Post
    With 2nd pick and what was available they really couldn't miss in round one, not sold on round 2, but like the stock piling of o lineman. More attention to linebacker would have been nice.

C+.

I'll upgrade it to an A if chis long makes the probowl in 2 or 3 years time.
    How about they all make it in 2-3 years time.

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

I give them a B.

Donnie Avery in the 2nd was too high, not because of his talent, but because he most definitely could've been had in the 3rd.

And because we took him a bit too early, it hindered the rest of the draft. Not saying the rest were bad picks, but I am saying they could've been better.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I gave them a solid B for filling our biggest needs with quality players. With the second pick in each round, it would be possible to come away with a draft where we got round one talent that slipped through the cracks into round two or round two talent in round three. We didn't. We got good round two talent in round two. Good round three talent in round three. My main criticism would be that aside from Chris Long, this looks a lot like the kind of draft we had last year--and picking almost third of a round higher, you might expect better. Nonetheless, I don't see any huge reaches or players I flat out can't stand or wish we hadn't drafted. I see a lot of our holes filling in to some degree next year.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

My initial post-draft thoughts will likely appear in an article next weekend. But broadly, I thought we did a very solid job taking high character, productive guys at positions that fit what we needed to address.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Donnie Avery in the 2nd was too high, not because of his talent, but because he most definitely could've been had in the 3rd.
    Nothing definite about it at all, IMO. Avery wouldn't have lasted long during the second round run on WRs.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rampower is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chipperjones View Post
    How about they all make it in 2-3 years time.
    I'll be a very happy man.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Rambos is offline Registered User

he most definitely could've been had in the 3rd.
    If Jerry Rice could've been had had in the second round, would that have made him a better player?

general counsel is offline Registered User

i simply for the life of me can not understand two things

1) How anyone can say that avery (or any other player for that matter) would be available in a later round. Have we seen the draft boards of the other teams. For the millionth time, the kiper rankings ARE NOT the draft boards used by the nfl teams.
    2) The expectations that people have for the lower round picks are ridiculous. The odds of getting impact players in the lower rounds are very very slim for every team. Every fan seems to have his own pet players and when management doesnt take them they criticize the team when they read about the shortcomings of the player taken, as if they are going to get a guy without flaws in rounds 6 and 7. The same guys that complain that the front office has no idea what they are doing want us to trade down for more picks for some reason.

Wait three years and grade the draft. Until then, its an exercise in pure speculation since none of us have the faintest clue how these guys are actually going to perform, we are only guessing and there is no way to know what relative value we got because we will never know how the other teams valued these guys.

What i know for sure is that you cant say that we didnt address our needs.

I also know that the applause of the hiring of saunders was nearly unanimous on this board. We draft avery, who HAD to be the guy saunders wanted, and now everyone is screaming that the front office doesnt know what they are doing. that is just pathetic reasoning. I would love to have one critic of the pick tell me that they think any alleged mock draft expert knows more about nfl receivers than henry ellard, who had a key role in picking this guy.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast