View Poll Results: What do you grade the Rams draft?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+

1 1.08%
  • A

2 2.15%
  • A-

13 13.98%
  • B+

20 21.51%
  • B

23 24.73%
  • B-

16 17.20%
  • C+

8 8.60%
  • C

4 4.30%
  • C-

5 5.38%
  • D

0 0%
  • F

1 1.08%
  • The draft was this weekend? I knew i forgot something.

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: What do you grade the Rams draft?

I hate grading the draft right after it happens but in the spirit of the thread....C-. Reasons:

1. I'm not so sure that Chris Long is going to be that great of a NFL player, especially to be taken 2nd overall. His speed concerns me.

2. Avery in the 2nd seemed a reach to me, but as Nick has pointed out, the scenario of the run on WR's in that round made me feel the Rams "may" have known what they were doing.

3. Greco in the 3rd to me, was the best pick of the day. So what does that tell you about how I feel about this draft?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    1. I'm not so sure that Chris Long is going to be that great of a NFL player, especially to be taken 2nd overall. His speed concerns me.
    What happened to all the talk about whomever the Rams picked they were going to get a great player?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Hey Nick, you said yourself that you would be perfectly fine with Dorsey although his injuries concern you.

So far, I'm perfectly fine with Chris Long although his initial burst of speed concerns me.

However, what do I know? I'm just a beancounter from SEMO living in Austin.

hoosierdaddy is offline Registered User

Only pick i didn't like was Donnie Avery over Devin Thomas.

But i don't know much about either of the players other than Thomas was projected to go as high as #11.

But other than that, I liked their picks.

B+

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Actually you've already convicted them. You say on one hand that you're going to give them a chance to prove their worthiness, and on the other hand you've already given them an A-. Which means very high expectations. Which heightens your chances of being dissapointed. What happens if none of them prove to be worthy?

Had to give give an initial grade, so I based it on needs filled and potential. Of course I am waiting to see how they do before I make my final decision.

RANDYRAM Guest

I was disappointed that we didn't get Calais Campbell and let him go the cards
    just think what a dline we would have! This guy might be better than Cris Long
    in 2 yrs! Pass rushing DEs are hard to come by
    my grade c+ Are coach is a retard

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Hey Nick, you said yourself that you would be perfectly fine with Dorsey although his injuries concern you.

So far, I'm perfectly fine with Chris Long although his initial burst of speed concerns me.
    Never said you couldn't have concerns. I just thought I remembered at one point you talked about how anybody we took there was going to be one heck of a player and we could all be happy about that, yet now it seems like that isn't the case? Maybe I'm attributing someone else's comments to you, if so my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYRAM View Post
    Are coach is a retard
    I'll let that statement speak for itself.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'll let that statement speak for itself.
    OMG that is funny! I know we're all guilty every once in a while, but that was a classic. LOL

ram1906 is offline Registered User

I gave the Rams a C-. Without Chris Long...its a D-...It seems that when the draft room participants were golfng on Friday, they made up their minds who they were going to select...NO MATTER WHAT. thas cool when you are the 1st to truly pick on day one, but by the second round you have to Evaluate the board. With every reciever in the nation available , we pick Avery. This is a reciever who had trouble getting off of the line of scimmage in the Sr bowl against collegiate competition. I wont discard the measureables in speed and production. But I will metion his highlights include great games over powerhouses SMU and Tulane...pick 3, I cant argue. But it must be noted that Dan Connor was on the board and our Linebackers are WW (Stud), Tiso(Hurt last two years), and Culberson (WHO?).... Our 4th pick was our best value pick. King is a 1st day draftee if not for some off the field issues. Then we wheel and deal in the 5th 6th and dont address the before mentioned LB situation until Mr Irrelevant....Of couse the grade for the draft is one that should truly wait until the season is over to truly evaluate, but to me it seems the Rams were too locked in and didnt change or re-evaluate their board as the dfat unfolded.

Well Nick, maybe I'm just nitpicking. Wouldn't be the first time I've been accused of that.

smitheRAM is offline Registered User

I gave them a C. I feel they reached on every pick starting with Chris Long. IMO we have Little coming off a injury and aging, AC coming off a injury both a ? on how they will return. It has been said that Dorsey was our highest rate guy. Plug him in between those two for help. Others on boards have reported that CL and VG were rated the same by the Ram or very close. With so many needs, trade, gain a pick and go with VG. Does anyone know of any real trade offers made? I would really like to know what we turned down. Same thing with Avery don't you think we could have dropped back and had him. These picks might be future pro bowlers. Nobody knows but with what we do know I think we could have done more.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    i simply for the life of me can not understand two things
    My poor GC is frustrated. I see you are still banging the front office drum from the draft day chat room. Excuse me dear while I try to explain some things to my friend here..

1) How anyone can say that avery (or any other player for that matter) would be available in a later round. Have we seen the draft boards of the other teams. For the millionth time, the kiper rankings ARE NOT the draft boards used by the nfl teams.
    We know that the Kiper rankings are not the draft boards used by the nfl teams. Each team has its own strategy and needs to fill. I think the clannies are just passionate fans that have their own views and desires on what they consider to be the appropriate pick at that time in the draft. I don't buy into this notion that those employed to make these decisions are any more accurate than anyone else who expresses their opinion on here, except that clannies had the good sense to become clannies. I don't see Linehan, Saunders, or Devaney on here, so we have that over them! They get paid to do what they do. We clannies conjure up these opinions for the love of it.

2) The expectations that people have for the lower round picks are ridiculous. The odds of getting impact players in the lower rounds are very very slim for every team. Every fan seems to have his own pet players and when management doesn't take them they criticize the team when they read about the shortcomings of the player taken, as if they are going to get a guy without flaws in rounds 6 and 7. The same guys that complain that the front office has no idea what they are doing want us to trade down for more picks for some reason.
    You miss the point. It's not the expectations for those in the later rounds, it's getting MORE picks in the draft to analyze and criticize. If we trade down, we get more picks. We traded up, which meant we got less picks. That's not good. How can a team that needs so much take the position "we'll make due with less"? It drives clannies crazy I tell ya.

Wait three years and grade the draft. Until then, its an exercise in pure speculation since none of us have the faintest clue how these guys are actually going to perform, we are only guessing and there is no way to know what relative value we got because we will never know how the other teams valued these guys.
    So you are saying the front office doesn't know what they got when they picked them since we have to wait three years to validate the picks. I knew it. You are a clannie deep at heart. We are just as good as those so called professional experts. No. That's not true. Not only are we better because we are clannies, but those of us that are premium members also get the babes..check it out! Oh yes..I gave our draft a B.
    Last edited by bigredman; -04-30-2008 at 12:38 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by smitheRAM View Post
    I gave them a C. I feel they reached on every pick starting with Chris Long. IMO we have Little coming off a injury and aging, AC coming off a injury both a ? on how they will return. It has been said that Dorsey was our highest rate guy. Plug him in between those two for help. Others on boards have reported that CL and VG were rated the same by the Ram or very close. With so many needs, trade, gain a pick and go with VG. Does anyone know of any real trade offers made? I would really like to know what we turned down. Same thing with Avery don't you think we could have dropped back and had him. These picks might be future pro bowlers. Nobody knows but with what we do know I think we could have done more.
    Chris Long might have listed 2 or 3 picks later, but our trade offers came from the Jets (#6) and Ravens (#8). We hear both teams wanting to trade wanted to do so to get Chris Long. At best, we might have gotten Gholston at 6 if we traded with the Jets.

With 6 receivers taken in the first half of the second round (and 9 receivers for the whole round), I think Avery would not have lasted long. The top six included Jordy Nelson, Jerome Simpson, and Eddie Royal, none of whom were big names. Any team looking at Royal was probably looking at Avery, too, and Royal went 11th in the second round. The Rams say sources around the league indicate that 6-8 other teams had Avery at the top of their receiver listings.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I gave this draft an "F".

We've had these kids for nearly 2 weeks now, and Long has ZERO sacks. Avery & Burton have ZERO catches. Greco & Schuning have opened ZERO holes for S-Jack.

This draft has bust written all over it. I think Randyram is right.....are coach is retard. he not genuses like mes and youz.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I gave this draft an "F".

We've had these kids for nearly 2 weeks now, and Long has ZERO sacks. Avery & Burton have ZERO catches. Greco & Schuning have opened ZERO holes for S-Jack.

This draft has bust written all over it. I think Randyram is right.....are coach is retard. he not genuses like mes and youz.

I am so smart, SMRT!

If no one gets that its from the simpsons. And HUB is right, these draftees have produced nothing, such a waste of a draft. Now if we had drafted all TE's, thatd be another story, a grand story that in 40 years i could tell my grand kids "back in the day"....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast