Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: What do you guys think about us taking Tim Tebow

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    He contrasted the throwing motion of Tebow and Pike. Where Pike keeps the ball high and releases with a compact, effecient motion, Tebow keeps the ball low and starts his "wind-up" from near his thigh pad.

Billick noted that all that motion, that inefficient release will not work in the NFL because the throwing lanes are too tight. NFL secondaries will see that motion and be on top of it much quicker than the college secondaries he has faced. As well, Billick noted that Tebow does not play in a pro style offense. He basically makes one read and executes; he doesn't have a progression to go through like he will in the NFL.
    Billick did do a great job of putting things in perspective. Tebow can get away with his unorthodox throwing motion in the NCAA, but it would be difficult to translate it to the NFL and be effective. Things just move at a different speed and unless he drastically re-tooled his delivery, I've got to believe he'd struggle.

I'm one of those who love his drive, perserverence and athleticism, so I'll be very interested to see how he does at the next level. I'll be rooting for him.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Honestly i dont think he will have the same transition as Ryan Leaf.

Tebow has some great work ethic and if he get the right coaching he might just become a solid QB.

Maybe Mike Shanahan with the Bills if does get signed

Or Bill Bellicheck and the patriots they seen how a power runner like Ronnie Brown runs the wildcat.
    In case you didn't notice, Florida tried to coach him into fixing the fundamental flaws in his play vis a vis being an NFL QB this season.

Tebow had the worst year of his collegiate career this season. Easily.

This isn't going to work people.

rob6465 is offline Registered User

I would take his girlfriend. Have you guys seen her pic? Damn...sorry for getting away from question...lol

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Scenario:

via NFL.com

St. Louis Rams (7th round pick) : Tim Tebow (FB) Florida

Not too shabby.

Although, I doubt he's an improvement over Mike Karney.

mtah6245 is offline Registered User

poejoe8 my thoughts exactly, but i would only look at taking him as a hback/tight end if he falls to the 4th round.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

geez, seems ppl on all forums hate Tebow, lol

I'm not arguing Tebow ain't a project, or that the rams should take him #1 overall. But for a guy who can't throw, 482 yards and 3 passing TD's in the surgarbowl against a previously unbeaten team is pretty damn good.

And another thing, to compare Tebow to Leaf is ridiculous. Devaney wasnt the only guy to proclaim Leaf a great QB. Sports writers and fans alike all wanted him. But when Leaf fell apart, everybody jumped shipped and left Devaney with the blame.

Oshiomogho is offline Registered User

I feel like Tebow, although he could turn out to be a bad NFL player, could potenitally be an All Star. He has the talent, and no denying his heart and work ethic. He could turn out to be a franchise QB for the Rams, but then again, it is a risk.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

geez, seems ppl on all forums hate Tebow, lol
    I disagree. I dare say, nobody on THIS forum hates him. However, a good number of us recognize the flaws in his game that will make the transition to the NFL a tough road (to say the least).
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

makersncoke is offline Registered User

I like this kid, I like his work ethic, his leadership qualities and he is a character guy, but like many have said he just doesn't have the skill coming out of college to be an NFL starter. That's not to say this guy couldn't work hard and some day become a good starting qb in the NFL, I for one wouldn't bet against him. The problem is the is no way a 1-15 team should take that kind of risk on any player. The Rams can't affort to have an "experiment" on the payroll, they need someone who can come in and not have to be rebuilt to be able to play at this level.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't hate him at all.

As a resident of Central Florida (and not a Gator fan), though, I do hate his hype.

Blankman17 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rob6465 View Post
    I would take his girlfriend. Have you guys seen her pic? Damn...sorry for getting away from question...lol
    I believe that's actually his cousin, but agreed.

But everbody can agree, this guy has something the other QB's don't, and you either hate him for it or you love him for it.

There will always be another average QB, this draft, next draft, and the draft after. But I can't name a guy in recent memory with the potential Tebow has, coupled with the will power to do it!!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    But everbody can agree, this guy has something the other QB's don't,
    Yes....a wide arching, slow release that starts from his thigh pad.

But I can't name a guy in recent memory with the potential Tebow has, coupled with the will power to do it!!!
    A) What exactly is that potential you see?

B) What methodology have you used to quantify his "will power"?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

A) I see an extraordinary athlete, who is able to annihilate despite your criticisms. By all accounts, he should be failling, its the logical conclusion. But Tebow doesn't. He destroys undefeated division 1 teams. So I'm merely pointing out there is something wrong with everyone's formula with how a QB should be.

A QB shouldnt be 250lbs and pass for 482 yards even though he doesn't know how to throw.

B) You can't weigh it, you can't time it, AND you can't measure it. I hear it in his voice on interviews, I see it when he plays, and it materializes into championships and heisman trophy's. You can say it's because of his team, but I say the team is a product of Tebow.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    A) I see an extraordinary athlete, who is able to annihilate despite your criticisms. By all accounts, he should be failling, its the logical conclusion. But Tebow doesn't. He destroys undefeated division 1 teams. So I'm merely pointing out there is something wrong with everyone's formula with how a QB should be.
    Of course he can succeed at a collegiate level. He plays in a flippin' spread offense with Florida's receiving talent. That offense generates yards easily. The problem is spread offense quarterbacks have a notoriously difficult time transitioning to pro style offenses, and oftentimes fail to come close to the success they had in college. This will be compounded by Tebow's poor mechanics.

A QB shouldnt be 250lbs and pass for 482 yards even though he doesn't know how to throw.
    He doesn't know how to/lacks the mechanics to throw at an NFL level. That doesn't necessarily make him a bad college back, just indicates he will not pan out at an NFL level.

I would also point out that Cincinnati's strength was its offense-hands down. Their defense was mediocre at best, and their games frequently turned into shootouts. I would also caution against making any judgments about future performance based on Bowl Game stats-with one notable exception, these are all exhibition games and any evaluation effort should be made with that in mind.

B) You can't weigh it, you can't time it, AND you can't measure it. I hear it in his voice on interviews, I see it when he plays, and it materializes into championships and heisman trophy's. You can say it's because of his team, but I say the team is a product of Tebow.
    This is the NFL, not the flippin' Little Engine That Could. Willpower and "guts" can only mask a lack of mechanical ability for so long. The talent in the league is so saturated that you can't count on poor matchups or relatively untalented defenders to let you exploit holes and openings.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast