Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: What do you guys think about us taking Tim Tebow

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    A) I see an extraordinary athlete, who is able to annihilate despite your criticisms. By all accounts, he should be failling, its the logical conclusion. But Tebow doesn't. He destroys undefeated division 1 teams. So I'm merely pointing out there is something wrong with everyone's formula with how a QB should be.

A QB shouldnt be 250lbs and pass for 482 yards even though he doesn't know how to throw.
    What your argument seems to miss is the difference between what it takes to be successful at the college level and what it takes to be successful at the pro level. Whether or not Tebow (and his team) destroys other teams (well, except Alabama), that alone doesn't mean anything when it comes to whether he can do it at the NFL level. His own personal skills and abilities - such as his throwing mechanics, accuracy, field vision, etc - are much more valuable factors.

For instance, Ken Dorsey destroyed collegiate teams, rewrote record books, and was a highly recognized collegiate player at Miami while leading his team to multiple national championship games, but he was a late round pick and hasn't developed into anything. Point being, college success doesn't automatically translate into pro potential.

B) You can't weigh it, you can't time it, AND you can't measure it. I hear it in his voice on interviews, I see it when he plays, and it materializes into championships and heisman trophy's. You can say it's because of his team, but I say the team is a product of Tebow.
    I think there are a lot of Florida players that would be upset at having one player given credit for all their accomplishments. Florida has had a top ten defense three of the last four years, and they've had 14 players drafted in the last three drafts. They'll add at least 4 more this year, not including Tebow.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

A) I see an extraordinary athlete, who is able to annihilate despite your criticisms. By all accounts, he should be failling, its the logical conclusion. But Tebow doesn't. He destroys undefeated division 1 teams. So I'm merely pointing out there is something wrong with everyone's formula with how a QB should be.

A QB shouldnt be 250lbs and pass for 482 yards even though he doesn't know how to throw.

B) You can't weigh it, you can't time it, AND you can't measure it. I hear it in his voice on interviews, I see it when he plays, and it materializes into championships and heisman trophy's. You can say it's because of his team, but I say the team is a product of Tebow.
    Well .. maybe Tim has "it" or more likely he doesn't. Hopefully he'll get a shot at playing QB in the NFL. That said, I would be disappointed if the Rams expended a first day pick on him. There is a very good possibility he will not transition well as a college QB to a pro QB. I don't need to list the reasons, as they have been adequately addressed by other posters. Timmy has guts, character, and athleticism, but he's a very long shot IMO to become an NFL franchise QB. It will be interesting to see which team (if any) shares your view of him come the draft ..

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

A) I see an extraordinary athlete, who is able to annihilate despite your criticisms.
    I too see an extraordinary athete, who is the QB on a VERY talented college offense
    By all accounts, he should be failling, its the logical conclusion.
    I don't see that logic at all. He is a talented college QB on a very talented offense with an extremely talented defense. I'd be surprised if Florida was NOT winning.
    But Tebow doesn't. He destroys undefeated division 1 teams.
    Actually, Tebow has never won a game. Florida has won several.
    So I'm merely pointing out there is something wrong with everyone's formula with how a QB should be.
    So you feel an NFL QB should have a slow release?

Hmm, so Florida is a product of Tebow? Guess we will simply have to disagree on that one.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I see it when he plays, and it materializes into championships and heisman trophy's. .
    You do realize he was the starting QB on only one National Championship team and only won one Heisman Trophy, right?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Blankman17 View Post
    Tim Tebow has no right ever taking a snap as an NFL QB. Then again, neither did Ryan Leaf and we saw what happened...
    Well, look what the cat dragged in. Welcome back Blankman....

Oshiomogho is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You do realize he was the starting QB on only one National Championship team and only won one Heisman Trophy, right?
    He was a heismen contender for 3 straight years, and one the national championship and heismen in different seasons. Thats an impressive resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshiomogho View Post
    He was a heismen contender for 3 straight years, and one the national championship and heismen in different seasons. Thats an impressive resume.
    And yet it speaks zero to his potential as an NFL quarterback. Absolutely zero.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I don't know. There is something about him that makes me think he's going to be good in the NFL. When he catches up with the competition, he's got that IT that makes him special. He torched Cincinnati and has been doing that his whole career. Everyone said Kosar couldn't play because of his delivery and he had a pretty good career.

I wouldn't count out Tebow as a QB in the NFL. I'm not saying he's going to be good but it wouldn't surprise me.

When he catches up with the competition
    tx, he started 3+ years in the SEC. He should be way AHEAD of his competition at this point. But his mechanics are worse than ever.

Yea, they said the same thing about Vince Young...all the guy does is win.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I don't recall that. In fact, once Young declared, he was an assumed lock to be a top 10 pick by most analysts. Has the same been said about Tebow?

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Except for the years he didn't.

Man, you guys are tough sometimes. Look, all I am saying is this.....sometimes the critics miss. Sometimes, the guy just has it. Would I take him in the first round? No. Would I take him in the second? If it was a mid second. Would I take him in Round 3? Absolutely.

The critics also had Gholston as a stud. The critics also that Leaf was going to be a good QB. The critics also said that Carr was going to be good.

I don't trust most of the critics out there. They have as solid a track record as a weatherman.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -01-04-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Man, you guys are tough sometimes. Look, all I am saying is this.....sometimes the critics miss. Sometimes, the guy just has it. Would I take him in the first round? No. Would I take him in the second? If it was a mid second. Would I take him in Round 3? Absolutely.
    Sure, I could understand a mid-level flyer on him. My only issue is with those that are ready to spend that first round pick on him (you excluded from that, of course) simply because he has that "it". That ever elusive "it". Allow me to define Tebow's "it". "It" is the top Defense in the nation, one of the top O lines in the nation, a gimmick offense that played to his strengths, an outstanding receiving corp, and a level of competition that hides his weaknesses. Yes, Tebow had "it" at Florida.

I like the kid. I wish him well. And, just as you said, if he's there later on, give him a shot. Absolutely. But there are just tooooo many holes in his game to spend the top pick on him.
    Last edited by HUbison; -01-04-2010 at 05:50 PM.

C'mon HUb, Tebow had more to do with Florida's success than you are giving him credit for. You still have to get the ball to the receivers, you still have to run the offense. You still have to be able to put your team in positions to win by sometimes throwing the ball out of bounds and knowing when to do that. Tebow had a great feel for how QB should play in college, great defense or not you don't put those numbers up unless you know how to play the position.

This could go on all day I feel so I'm just saying if you don't think Tebow had ALOT to do with the success at Florida, then we will just agree to disagree.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast