Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Alec22 is offline Registered User

Re: What do you guys think about us taking Tim Tebow

lol 58 comments about tebow.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

You guys are funny...

"Florida wins games, not Tebow" Well this is true. However to relate to what I am speaking about, you have had to have been on a team with that kind of leader. Someone who is willing to sacrifice himself for the team. Someone who makes YOU better. I've had such an experience, and the way a leader of this caliber is able to affect his team is next to miraculous. Florida wins games, but Florida aint Florida without Tim Tebow. This is also what you might call, the "it" factor. Some examples are Kurt Warner and Brett Farve to name a few.

"Mechanics are more important than winning" Well I say this is only half true. You should teach a guy only what he needs to know. Dnt try and change him to what you think is best, or what worked for somebody else. Tebow isn't going to be Joe Montana. The world is more complicated than replicating formulas. John Madden referred to Football as an art, and each player his own artist. If Tebow's style doesn't work in the NFL, believe me, he will find another way. Tebow's not out there trying to impress you with his throwing mechanics.

Dnt miss understand me. I have at no point said Tebow was the "Answer" to all our woes. Nor did I say he should be picked in the first round. I'm just saying, some things aren't linear, you can't measure or calculate, and neither can you replicate it. Completely unscientific and illogical, yet there it is, and Tebow's a winner.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I give up.

If you people think that players should be drafted by which ones the magic "it" fairy sprinkles her magic fairy dust on is more important than solid mechanics, go right ahead and draft him.

But HUb, he's such a winner! All he does is win! --- Colt McCoy has won more games than anyone in the history of college football. Draft him if you want someone that "just wins". Second on that list is David Greene. How has his college wins translated to the NFL?

But HUb, look at those numbers! --- What numbers? He was 48th in the nation in yards/game; 30th in TDs

But HUb, what about his amazing 21:5 touchdown to int ratio? In that offense, it should have been better than that. His "progressions" amount to reading the option to the back, looking for anyone wide open, then tucking and running. If he didn't have someone wide open, he pulled the ball and ran. That's fine against the Cincinatti Bearcats. It ain't gonna work against the Cincinatti Bengals.

As for that ratio, there are 9 QBs out there with better ratios, many of them in pro style offenses.

Crap fellas, I loved the movie "Rudy" also.......but it takes more than an emotional will-to-win to get it done in the NFL.

My final comment: without a drastic change in his mechanics and an absorption of a completely different style of QB'ing, Tim Tebow will NOT be a successful NFL quarterback.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I guess I am missing your point. I think you are saying don't draft him because you have heard his mechanics are bad. I've heard some teams are willing to take a chance on him mid-first round. Some have had great mechanics, i.e. Ryan Leaf, but just didn't have the head for the game. I'll take a chance on someone who's mechanics could possibly be tweaked but has a great head for the game.

At least that's what I am trying to say. No, Tebow doesn't have the best mechanics right now but can't they be taught to work in the NFL?

I think you are saying don't draft him because you have heard his mechanics are bad.
    Not heard.......seen. That slow release is going to translate to a lot of picks and incompletions in the NFL. Unless, he does what he did in college......if the receiver is not wiiiiiide open, he tucks and runs. That will get him killed.
    I've heard some teams are willing to take a chance on him mid-first round.
    Yes. Teams that don't have the holes to fill that we do. Teams that are okay with bringing in a Vick-esque gimmick to supplement their offense.
    I'll take a chance on someone who's mechanics could possibly be tweaked but has a great head for the game.

At least that's what I am trying to say. No, Tebow doesn't have the best mechanics right now but can't they be taught to work in the NFL?
    You mean to tell me, after 4 years under the tutelage of one of the top coaching staffs in college football, nobody tried to fix his mechanics?

Dang it, I said I was done with this topic. (In my old Michael Corleone voice) Everytime I get out, they pull me back in!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    The answer is "probably not."

But that's not really the point. What is Tebow's best skill? Running the ball from the Gators' spread/option offense. No team runs that offense in the NFL. So, if you take away the strongest part of the game, what are you left with? A guy who does not have great arm strength, has a slow release, and has never played in a Pro Style offense.

What is that worth in the draft? A fifth round pick? Sixth?

For the Rams, who really need a QB, I'd say he's not worth much at all.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Ok, I'm wrong. I'll leave it to the experts.

So...Tebow is not coachable because he is just plain stupid?
    He can not learn the mechanics, and nobody has questioned his work ethic, so the only conclusion I can draw from HUbison and AvengerRam is that Tebow must lack the intelligence.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    He can not learn the mechanics, and nobody has questioned his work ethic, so the only conclusion I can draw from HUbison and AvengerRam is that Tebow must lack the intelligence.
    No, I'm pretty sure that the best QB coach in the world would have trouble teaching throwing mechanics to Steven Hawking too, and he's pretty smart.

Don't feel bad, lamb.........Einstein couldn't throw a spiral either.

This kind of debating is beneath you two. What a dumb pair of posts. You're comparing two scientists (one of them a paraplegic) to a Heisman winning QB. Logical flaws abound...

Agree with my previous statement or prove me wrong. Don't dodge it.

If i didn't understand, please correct me. But this is what I think the both of you are trying to tell me. "Tebow has no technique, and no hope of learning any."

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

This kind of debating is beneath you two. What a dumb pair of posts. You're comparing two scientists (one of them a paraplegic) to a Heisman winning QB. Logical flaws abound...

Agree with my previous statement or prove me wrong. Don't dodge it.

If i didn't understand, please correct me. But this is what I think the both of you are trying to tell me. "Tebow has no technique, and no hope of learning any."
    Just to jump in here, it's an exaggeration to say that he has no hope, but you don't draft a guy based on the principle that it's not impossible that he might improve. You draft a guy based on what he has done so far, and if he hasn't done the things you're going to ask him to do, that makes you nervous.

Going up a level in competition tends to change things whether you're talking about sports or any other part of life. A kid might be the best writer in his high school because he can write very logical five point essays. Then he gets into college and realizes that his formulaic prose is incredibly boring compared to his peers who have mastered the finer points of style. Then he might improve to be the best writer at his college, only to realize that to make it as a professional writer, his spectacular essay-writing skills alone will not enable him to be a professional author. And if he was getting by largely on talent alone, not taking advantage of the advice of his mentors along the way to learn what professional authors do to succeed, he's probably going to have a hard time finding work.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

Dang...72 post and I can't believe no one said it. What do I think about Tim Tebow...he might shock some people and turn out to be a Rich Gannon type. Float around the league for 10 plus years, then land in a perfect situation for him, and become a starter for a few years, then call it a career. That said, I don't think we have a roster spot to waste on someone that's going to take a decade to develop into a starter.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

But Hub you can always teach a guy proper techniques and mechanics and with the work ethic of Tebow he can master the right mechanics just give him a year or 2. I mean the guy is doing with his will leading a whole team on his back he gave that Florida team an identity for years.

Member his speech last year no one will play harder than him. He took the team on his back and lead them to a national championship.

And for the Rams he is a 4 pillar player and he is bigger and way more physical than any QB on our squad. I mean it does make sense to take him

O good point fleece. That makes a lot of sense to me.

But the question still is, can Tebow learn the mechanics?
    And can you make an accurate assessment of a player judging solely on his throwing technique?
    I'm no football scout, but I dont think you can disregard his combination of size, strength, accuracy, attitude, maneuverability, passion...etc

Think of Tebow's upside if you fixed that one area...

So again, "Is Tebow coachable?"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast