richtree is offline Registered User

What do you think will actually happen for Rams First 5 spots (barring no trades)?

What do you think will actually happen for Rams First 5 spots (barring no trades)?

This means, NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO HAPPEN, but what do you think will actually happen.

Here is my quick summary, I enjoy you to do the same.

Round 1, Pick #16: Jonathan Cooper, G, UNC -- I think Austin will be gone and so will Fluker, and the 3 big name Offensive Tackles. This will make the Rams decide between Patterson, Allen, Hunter, or Cooper / Warmarck. There is no athletic enough game changing safety that can go here.

Round 1, Pick #22: Keenan Allen, WR, Cal -- I think he will end up being the best year 1 WR that has the ability to play short, long, inside and outside. If the Rams pass on WR at 16 Patterson may be gone by #22 -- but I can see the Rams taking their guy and I think Allen is the best fit at this time for the Rams to win games quickly, over any other WR in this class.

Round 2, Pick #43: Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse -- This is the choice between the best running back, OLB, and Safety available. I think the Rams really like this guy and need a physical presence coming from the safety position. Unless a WR or RB falls that they love here, I think the would go with Thomas. It would be tough if both Giovanni Bernard and Thomas are here. They seem to like both, as do I. I think RB and OLB can wait do to the need for some help at Safety.

Round 3, Pick #78: Zaviar Gooden, OLB, Mizzu - After meeting with Rams personnel and showing his freak athleticism, he will end up being picked over RB here. I think the Rams want athletes in the middle rounds and he would be a perfect compliment of speed and strength to fly around on defense. I think this spot is very hard because of the decision to be made between RB, WR, or OLB.

Round 4, Pick #113: Ace Sanders, WR, South Carolina -- One thing we know is that Rams take the players that they bring in for visits very seriously. We could use a return guy to fill the void of Amendola, and also a guy that can shoot some speed into the slot, reverses, and a cheap version of what you all want to spend on Austin. Ace is our guy do to the interest. I could even see them considering Ace in Round 3 if they OLB they want is gone.

Might as well guess after that based on position:

Round 5 -- Running Back
    Round 6 -- Center/Guard depth
    Round 7/UFA -- TE that blocks or WR that tackles or CB depth

THAT IS WHAT I THINK THE RAMS WILL HAVE IN MIND AND IS REALISTIC OF HAPPENING AFTER DRAFT DAY.

I would not be mad at this draft, nor is it "my" ideal draft, just my best guess of the outcome.

FEEL FREE TO POST OR DEBATE WHAT 'WILL' HAPPEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: What do you think will actually happen for Rams First 5 spots (barring no trades)

I like all your picks, except I don't think the Rams will take Cooper even if he's there at #16. I say that because he doesn't fit our blocking scheme. We play a power blocking scheme on the o-line and Cooper is a zone guy. He may be converted but that seems like a big risk to take with your first round pick. I like him for his versatility that he can play center too. I love Allen at #22, but after what emerged this week concerning drug use at the Combine, that may be a risk as well. I too think he's the #1 WR in this draft for reasons I've expounded on at length in other threads.

Thomas at S is a good pick as he's been prototyped to Quintin Mikell on NFL.com. I wouldn't rule out the Rams re-signing Mikell at a cap friendly number and selecting a FS type like Eric Reid earlier on. Gooden in round 3 may be early unless the Rams love him so much and they don't think he'll be there in rounds 4 or 5. That could be the spot where they take a RB. Sanders is a great pick a it answers the speed issue on kick-offs and punt returns. I think they will address the CB depth matter sooner than round 7. Good job of predicting.

Go Rams!

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: What do you think will actually happen for Rams First 5 spots (barring no trades)

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I like all your picks, except I don't think the Rams will take Cooper even if he's there at #16. I say that because he doesn't fit our blocking scheme. We play a power blocking scheme on the o-line and Cooper is a zone guy. He may be converted but that seems like a big risk to take with your first round pick. I like him for his versatility that he can play center too. I love Allen at #22, but after what emerged this week concerning drug use at the Combine, that may be a risk as well. I too think he's the #1 WR in this draft for reasons I've expounded on at length in other threads.

Thomas at S is a good pick as he's been prototyped to Quintin Mikell on NFL.com. I wouldn't rule out the Rams re-signing Mikell at a cap friendly number and selecting a FS type like Eric Reid earlier on. Gooden in round 3 may be early unless the Rams love him so much and they don't think he'll be there in rounds 4 or 5. That could be the spot where they take a RB. Sanders is a great pick a it answers the speed issue on kick-offs and punt returns. I think they will address the CB depth matter sooner than round 7. Good job of predicting.

Go Rams!
    I agree that we probably re-sign Mikell and that is why I could see us avoiding safety for the first few picks. I disagree because Cooper is a power guy that rather be in our system, and also has played some center if we need help in a pinch. I just think I am trying to figure out the Rams strategy, but its hard because of Mikell just floating out there.....Sometimes I think if they want him it would have been done by now.....

either way it will be a fun draft for all Rams fans...

msha is offline Registered User

Round 1: Jonathan Cooper, OG, UNC
    Round 1: Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
    Round 2: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
    Round 3: D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina
    Round 4: Zavier Gooden, OLB, Mizzou

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post

Go Rams!

I think your concerns are unfounded in two ways. Firstly, because I doubt either guy, sadly, will be there. Haven't looked at a lot of mocks but don't most have The Rams taking Austin at 16? Doesn't mean it'll happen, of course.

Cooper is good on his pins- the point of the zone blocking description,imo- AND strong. He ran a 5.06 forty & benched 35 times. Imo, Rok is a RG mauler & you need a pulling quick-footed guy at LG who still has power to defend the Sam's blindside vs guys like Justin Smith who are both quick and strong. I'd be thrilled with that pick, esp with Allen to follow.

Btw, the drug thing was completely debunked. I thought it was already posted . Allen went back to have his ankle re-checked. No hint of an apology from espeen (why should I help their page ranking ? Dolts....) when they reported the accurate version, inc a pdf of the official document sent to KA requiring him to return & why, for printing a rumor that could have cost KA a lot of money. Truly TMZ level journalism,Mr Schefter. Your momma must be proud.

Dunno much about the rest of these guys but positionally/role-wise....

Can that safety cover and/or ballhawk ? Isn't that what The Rams lacked with Dahl, rather than a thumper ? And wasn't there some scout quoted, in an article posted here, as saying Stewart was essentially "the same guy" as Mikell ?

I want a big running back. Don't care who or where after the first round but thinking about a season with Pead and D-Rich as THE guys is scary...not sure we have grasped how big a hole SJ left.

And I like the idea of a returner/DB combo ( think Patrick Peterson but later pick) more than a Danny Amendola wubbie for Sam/returner. It's a shame Fletcher had such a prominent collapse in The Pats game. He lost his mojo & we lost an underrated part of that DB group. RBs + TEs = DA,imo, as our OC did with NYJ,iirc, but you can't have too many good DBs ....

Stay calm & carry on. It's gonna be a long week.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -04-21-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Cooper almost surely won't be there, otherwise a good mock.

I see the Rams taking, with their first four picks, and two or three may be in round two if they choose a deal down, a WR, S, OLB, OL, followed by later picks at RB, CB, another WR, another S.

Who they will be will depend on who is available, and who the Rams brain trust thinks is the best fit for the Rams. Hopefully, whoever it is, will get at least a couple years from fans before getting ripped as a terrible pick and a bust. I won't grade their draft, because my grades don't come out till "graduation", in three or four years.

I may give a yearly grade on a player's progress, but it has no basis to that final grade after we see what these young guys playing against big, mean, experienced, pumped up, grown men, can become.

When that knee jerk, with the emphasis on JERK, finally ends, life will be much more enjoyable for those of us who actually spend TIME studying the history of the draft, of NFL players, or even of the game itself.
    Barry Waller