View Poll Results: What grade would you give the FO so far?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

55 66.27%
  • B

24 28.92%
  • C

3 3.61%
  • D

1 1.20%
  • F

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    punahou is offline Registered User

Re: what grade would you give the front office?

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    For the Sake of argument filling your 2 biggest needs with the 2 highest rated players at their position is worth an A. It will be interesting to see if we go d-line or WR
    Im not sure many people had Lauranitis rated higher than Ray.

Lauranitis hurt himself by not coming out last year, as scout now picked apart his ability to attack the point as the majority of his tackles seem to come ~4 yards after the opposition has passed the line of scrimmage. Hence htye question his abiltity to shed blockers.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Im the only C as of now.

Im not going to be the rah rah fan boy.

Maualuga > Lauranitis.

Character issue, Im not privy to whatever this is about, but an extremely aggressive, hard hitter like Ray just seems to be a better fit than a majority of tackles made 4 yards across the line of scrimmage tackling machine.

Have we learned nothing when we passed on Polomalu? I guess its true that J. Shaw is still in the draft room.

Flame away--

A disappointed again Ram.
    At the endi of the regular season, I was on the Maualuga bandwagon big time .. However, since we knew we would be picking at #2 overall, the chances of acquiring Rey, appeared very bleak, as he was not a top 5 pick even then. It seems his biggest problem (other than character concerns of which I know very little about by the way) is the perception he would only be a 2 down player in the NFL. In another post you mentioned the polynesian warrior mentality, a mean streak that players from Samoa and Hawaii frequently possess. I agree with you on this .. and Rey appears no different in this area. However, the elephant in the room is that all 32 teams passed on him in rd #1, and even the top portion of rd #2. There must have been a reason no team wished to take a chance on him for rd #1.. I don't know how good Laurinaitis will eventually be as a pro, but Spags and Billy obviously felt he was a better fit.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

has to be an A, filled two spots with 2 quality players,as for not selecting Rey M., I will take a guy who makes tackles over a guy who misses alot of tackles anyday.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Im the only C as of now.

Maualuga > Lauranitis.

Character issue, Im not privy to whatever this is about, but an extremely aggressive, hard hitter like Ray just seems to be a better fit than a majority of tackles made 4 yards across the line of scrimmage tackling machine.

Have we learned nothing when we passed on Polomalu? I guess its true that J. Shaw is still in the draft room.

Flame away--

I dont think Character issue was the biggest reason we took Lauriniatis over Rey. Rey is a 2-down thumper. And James (i hate spelling there last names so il use there 1st names)So James is a better MLB when it comes to coverage and tackling. Rey tries to go for the big hit instead of a wrap up which will really hurt us. So overall James is better than rey. But in the run Rey is better than James.

I dont really like this thread at all. because doesnt every bodies draft (except Al Davis's) look good right now?

Lets wait till its over then ask this question.

A-Web is offline Registered User

Im the only C as of now.

Maualuga > Lauranitis.

Flame away--

Juvenile behavior record, marijuana, these things don't matter...
    More missed tackles, no quality pass coverage ability, these things matter not.
    Played under an entire better defense that made him look better than he really was, this doesn't mean he can't be better than we thought...
    Our front office and ex-Defensive Coordinator extrordinaire-turned Head Coach knowing more than us and deciding that James Laurinaitis was a better linebacker...that can't be true...

All things said, I believe it will become very apparent in the future why they made this pick, and you will see success defined in the NFL as something other than trying to crash into a running back at full speed x2, while sometimes missing completely.

A-Web is offline Registered User

So far, A+. This draft day topped off my great day.

First, went to the OSU vs Notre Dame lacrosse game and the Scarlet and Gray Spring Football Game on Campus. By the time the game was over, I had already found that we had drafted Jason Smith. I was not 100% on Smith, but that was because I still liked Aaron Curry a little bit on that pick. A few hours later, I find that we have just drafted one of the best Linebackers in the draft, and my day was complete. I knew that I wanted us to draft LB/OT or OT/LB in the first two rounds, and that basically the two we got were who I was hoping for, but I never thought we would get that lucky.

Now that this has passed, my real question turns to this. The first two rounds, even the coaches can just go off of mock draft boards and not make mistakes. I think the 3-7 rounds are where you really end up deciding if you think it was a good draft. Who can find the diamonds in the middle of such a vast pool of talent. I think Shonn Greene, Cornelius Ingram, and Ramses Barden need to be looked at in round 3.

RB, TE, WR are probably some of our more profound needs at this point. I do believe that if possible, a DT would be our next pick, but I do not have enough information to base a pick this season on that. I don't think there is anyone that stands out enough this year to pick in round 3-7 for that position. I think next year we should address that in the first 2 rounds. Maybe get a FA this season if possible.

I like Barden as a big receiver who can be physical. There are other receivers ranked above him, but he is a physical guy that can compliment Donnie and Keenan. I haven't seen enough on Ingram's pass catching and route running ability as a TE to decide whether I would prefer the WR or TE, but I do understand both are needs at this point.

I think we will find at least 2 more quality guys in this draft, but it might not be apparent for a year or two who they are.

Spyederman is offline Registered User

I have no reservations that Laurinaitis will at least be a quality starter in the NFL. There isn't a more instinctive, reliable open-field tackler in this draft than Laurinaitis. As the general manager told me, "He doesn't fit every scheme like some of the other guys this year, but you know what you're getting with him." (Laurinaitis) is a smart guy that you can throw the playbook at and know that he's going to be prepared from Game 1." - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

The NFL likes his accountability even more. Laurinaitis wants to be on the spot as the captain, middle linebacker and defensive signal caller. If he ever points a finger, it's at himself. "I like being in charge," Laurinaitis "I like having the chance to make every play, being in on every tackle. When I was at Sam (strongside linebacker) in my freshman year, sometimes the ball goes the other and you're not in on every tackle. Being in the middle you're held more accountable. "I love being the guy who makes the checks and is relied on more by the coaches. It's kind of like being a second coach on the field. I'd rather be the guy making the calls. If it screws up at all, it's my fault instead of having to depend on someone else." - Rick Gosselin, The Dallas Morning News

I don't watch Ohio State play really so I don't know much about this guy other than the accolades and awards he's received. These two things make me instantly like the guy though. A reliable open field tackler is something we can certainly use. Has anyone watch our defense tackle the past couple of years? Even if he turns out to be just a solid linebacker for us you have to like his accountability. Maybe with that type of attitude he can be the guy to fire the defense up and make them look like they actually care every week when they're on the field. When was the last time we had a firecracker like that on defense, during London Fletcher's tenure?
    Even if he's making tackles 4 yards past the line of scrimmage that's an improvement over what we've done recently. I don't know how good Ohio State's D line was but maybe the reason he was making those tackles 4 yards past the line was that the O line was shedding their D line and moving onto the linebackers.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Im the only C as of now.

Maualuga > Lauranitis.

Flame away--

Consistant

QB on the Defensive side of the ball

Sure tackler

Everydown player

High character and high football IQ

Team Leader

Loves to play the game....

I was a big fan of Rey and was hoping we got the thumper in the middle. However, the more I learn about James the more I am convinced this is the better choice.

GO RAMS

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Let's see...

Hole at offensive tackle, filled by the best tackle on the board, who happens to be an extremely versitile player, has a great attitude, and appears to have been born with horns...

Hole at MLB, filled by the best MLB on the board, who happens to have the attitude that he is only one part of the entire defense, who also appears to have been born with horns...

Yeah, I'd say we have an "A" as of this morning.

It really seems like Chip wants to have another trophy in that cabinet in St. Louis. My guess is we are witnessing the birth of another dominating Rams team.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Im the only C as of now.

Maualuga > Lauranitis.

Flame away--

I gave a B.. Thought about a C... We did fill two glaring holes... I'm just really not sure we got the better of the two linebackers available...

Head Slap is offline Registered User

as far as athletes are concerned I think they did a great job. A. Immediate needs based on holes

However it is hard to tell what the new staff philosophy will be. Were they pluggung in pieces or building around a long term ideology?

I an not alltogether familiar with what they want to do on both sides of the ball now.

Head Slap is offline Registered User

Lauranitis is the better choice IMHO. I am a pac 10 guy here in SoCal.

Let me also say that my UC diploma has nothing to do with this reply...

They only knock on Rey was that he ate up mid range players on mid range teams. He does have a good sense for the play and ball. However when it came to pure speed players, and the pac 10 has some burners, he did get tourched now and again and has a knack for overcommiting in search of the big hit... I am no expert and that is just what I saw watching him play a lot

Lauranitis IMHO has those gifts as well as speed from what I read.

Rey would have been a great player here no doubt but this guy is good too and can cover 1 on 1 if needed. and we need....that

smitheRAM is offline Registered User

My grade was a C+. Because like most everyone else I'm not privileged to the same information they have. That being said Rd 1 and Rd 2 picks where no brainers. The front office didn't screw things up but they did not do anything outstanding like trade next yrs picks and trade up for Curry or Raji. Day two picks seem o.k. not knowing a lot about these guys. But then again nothing real creative or outstanding by the front office. No trades up or down. Just a pick at a need postion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12