Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bruce4life is offline Registered User

what have we actually done with our 2nd and 3rd round picks???

2nd round
    1999) dre bly
    2000) jacoby shephard
    2001) tommy polley
    2002) travis fisher
    2003) pisa tinoiosoma
    2004) no pick
    2005) ron bartrell
    2006) joe klopenstein

3rd round
    1999) rich coady
    2000) john st.clair
    2001) brian allan
    2002) lamar gordon/ eric crouch
    2003) kevin curtis
    2004) tony hargrove
    2005) o.j. atogwe
    2006) claude wroten

I'M BRINGING ALL OF THIS UP BECAUSE OUT OF THE 16 PICKS ONLY 4 HAVE HAD DECENT CAREERS UP TO THIS POINT... DRE BLY HAS BEEN A SOLID PLAYER AND THE SAME CAN GO FOR KEVIN CURTIS... THE VERDICT IS STILL OUT ON ATOGWE, BARTRELL, WROTEN, AND KLOPENSTEIN.... WHAT I'M TRYING TO BRING UP IS THAT DRAFT PICKS ARE SO UP AND DOWN... TRADE YOUR PICKS TO GET PROVEN PLAYERS LIKE KRIS JENKINS....

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: what have we actually done with our 2nd and 3rd round picks???

This position would have more weight if it was the same staff and decision makers in place. But we have a different coaching staff now and Tony Softli to help with the decision making process.

The bottom line is past performance of players picked in a certain round is by no means an indication of future success of players to be picked in that round in future drafts, especially when there's a regime change. Who knows what's available in the second or third round in this draft. You can't automatically conclude that whoever it is won't work out because Jacoby Shephard or Travis Fisher didn't live up expectations.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

It's the same GM and President though Nick. Those two sit and have quite a bit of say in the war room. I honestly think that you will be able to add Wroten to the bust list after 2007 also.

Just a hunch

ya but at the same time wouldn't you rather take a sure thing rather than a boom or bust player...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Those two sit and have quite a bit of say in the war room.
    Do we really know this?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Georgia doesn't sneeze without Ziggy knowing it. He writes the checks. He's in there.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Georgia doesn't sneeze without Ziggy knowing it. He writes the checks. He's in there.
    Yes, he is the accountant, but does he really have a huge say in who is getting drafted. I could see where he might have a role in FA, such as giving dollar limitations to Linehan's talent pool, but would he have as much to say about rookies who are basically contracted depending upon draft slot?

I don't know, but I think when a guy like Softli (whose sole purpose in life is to evaluate and maximize the talent in the draft) is brought in, there will be some differences between the old draft strategies and the new.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Yes, he is the accountant, but does he really have a huge say in who is getting drafted. I could see where he might have a role in FA, such as giving dollar limitations to Linehan's talent pool, but would he have as much to say about rookies who are basically contracted depending upon draft slot?

I don't know, but I think when a guy like Softli (whose sole purpose in life is to evaluate and maximize the talent in the draft) is brought in, there will be some differences between the old draft strategies and the new.
    hopefully hubison your are right about softi... i know we have a different staff and different talent evaluators but at the same like txramsfan said we still have the same owner and still have zygument at the helm... personally like i said previously i would like to take the safe bet in proven talent even if that means you are giving up a chance to get a superstar or get a dud...

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    ya but at the same time wouldn't you rather take a sure thing rather than a boom or bust player...
    Wow, when did Kris Jenkins become such a sure thing? He's played one year of the last three, has work ethic concerns, weight problems, injury issues... He's proven he's capable of playing at a high level in this league, but I don't see anything about him that says "sure thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Wow, when did Kris Jenkins become such a sure thing? He's played one year of the last three, has work ethic concerns, weight problems, injury issues... He's proven he's capable of playing at a high level in this league, but I don't see anything about him that says "sure thing."
    your right nick he has had season ending injuries 2 out of the past 3 years but when healthy is on the best NT's in the league... when he is on the field he produces plain and simple

Drew is offline Registered User

2nd round
    1999) dre bly
    2000) jacoby shephard
    2001) tommy polley
    2002) travis fisher
    2003) pisa tinoiosoma
    2004) no pick
    2005) ron bartrell
    2006) joe klopenstein

3rd round
    1999) rich coady
    2000) john st.clair
    2001) brian allan
    2002) lamar gordon/ eric crouch
    2003) kevin curtis
    2004) tony hargrove
    2005) o.j. atogwe
    2006) claude wroten

I'M BRINGING ALL OF THIS UP BECAUSE OUT OF THE 16 PICKS ONLY 4 HAVE HAD DECENT CAREERS UP TO THIS POINT... DRE BLY HAS BEEN A SOLID PLAYER AND THE SAME CAN GO FOR KEVIN CURTIS... THE VERDICT IS STILL OUT ON ATOGWE, BARTRELL, WROTEN, AND KLOPENSTEIN.... WHAT I'M TRYING TO BRING UP IS THAT DRAFT PICKS ARE SO UP AND DOWN... TRADE YOUR PICKS TO GET PROVEN PLAYERS LIKE KRIS JENKINS....

i was sure hargrove was a second round pick... didnt we have byrd and alston in the third last year aswell and am not seeing richie incognito....some decent talent been picked in round two but apart from curtis,cogs and wroten our 3rd round picks have sucked!

all being said i would gamble a second for kris jenkins and maybe a conditional from next years draft but thats the maximum id offer!

Well, sometimes you have to weigh your options and take risks in life. You younguns in your 20's are just starting your life and you'll see what I mean later on in life. Same with the Rams. Do you take a chance on a veteran who has negative issues granted, but does have positive aspects also that may equal out to taking a risk? Or do you go with an unproven rookie who has potential but has never played a down in the NFL?

The Rams have the offense right now to be a Super Bowl contender. Right now. However, who knows in three years when the rookie DT starts to develop? I think it's one of the risk situations where you go all in and let the hand you have speak for itself with Jenkins in the mix.

your right nick he has had season ending injuries 2 out of the past 3 years but when healthy is on the best NT's in the league... when he is on the field he produces plain and simple
    When you have to put a "when healthy" qualifier in front of a guy, that means he's not a sure thing, which is my point.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Jacoby Shephard might have been a bust, but our third round pick this year (Jacoby Jones) won't be.

general counsel is offline Registered User

tx, i love you, but why are you putting the whammy on wroten?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast