Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

What have we learned today?

For those who did not see this..

Devaney on Philly trade rumors: “Absolutely false.”
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

ORLANDO, Fla. _ St. Louis Rams general manager Billy Devaney said reports Wednesday by the Philadelphia media that St. Louis was offering its second-round pick and safety Oshiomogho Atogwe for Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb: “Absolutely false.”

Devaney added: “It’s utterly ridiculous. I haven’t talked to Philadelphia about any of their players.”

Another Rams source said of the Eagles, “They may have a trade offer, but not from us. Why would we trade for McNabb and then go watch Bradford throw on Monday?”

Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, whom the Rams are considering with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, has his pro day on Monday.

Atogwe currently cannot be traded since he’s not under contract. He was given the lowest possible tender as a restricted free agent, but has not signed that tender.
    So, what did we learn?

Its very easy to get sucked into a discussion of an internet rumor (I certainly did). But, in the end, stories like this are rarely "broken" by some local beat reporter. Rather, it there had been a trade, multiple sources would have reported it, and the national media would have confirmed it quickly.

Better to trust our instincts. This trade really didn't make sense given that Bradford is working out for NFL teams next Monday (among other reasons).

Sure, its fun to debate hypotheticals, but a large grain of a salt is warranted.

I hope that you... well... we.... have learned a lesson today!

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: What have we learned today?

I don't think we've learned anything yet. I don't trust Devaney to be honest about anything with any member of the press until after all of our draft picks are signed, nor should he. Certainly not this close to the draft.

I would ask this. If we need all these Eagles because they "know" Shurmur's offense, have we run a price check on possibly firing Shurmur and replacing him with one of said Eagles? (Or alternatively: Fire Shurmur, promote assistant, convert Eagle offensive player to replace promoted assistant.)

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Dont you think it was a bit funny that "they" said the eagles lowered their expectations then "they" said it would take a 3rd rounder then "they" said the rams already offered the 33rd pick and OJ Atogwe for Mcnabb

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Wait wait wait, you saying we can't believe everything we read on the internet?!?

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i wouldn't declare this thing dead just yet..

rams_man13 is offline Registered User

I think this deal will happen if Bradford doesn't wow on his personal workout day.

The Rams front office will fear for their job security and bring in McNabb with the second rounder, OJ will not be involved.

They will draft Suh and focus on RT, LB and CB in the draft, maybe a back-up RB, they won't bother adding to their WR's, hoping that McNabb will use his experience to find whoever is open and banking on Avery having the magical 3rd year explosion.

I'm starting to open up to the idea of bringing in McNabb as a plan B if it keeps Spags and Billy D in town. I wouldn't mind a draft of:

1.01- Suh- DT
    2.01- McNabb
    3.01- Sean Lee- WLB
    4.01- Jimmy Graham- TE
    5.01- Daniel Te'o-Nesheim- DE
    5.24- Anthony Dixon- RB
    6.01- Marshall Newhouse- RT
    7.01- Danario Alexander- WR
    7.19- Patrick Stoudamire- CB
    7.COMP Pick- Trindon Holliday- KR

I could handle this type of situation, I think there are better uses for the second rounder, but McNabb wouldn't be completely unwelcome in this situation.

Wow.

I guess some of you have truly learned nothing.

Or maybe you're right...

Maybe this is all a conspiracy, and one reporter tried to bring it to like. He's probably on his way to the bottom of the Atlantic today... done in by the powers that be so that the master plan won't be revealed until the time is right.

Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Wow.

I guess some of you have truly learned nothing.

Or maybe you're right...

Maybe this is all a conspiracy, and one reporter tried to bring it to like. He's probably on his way to the bottom of the Atlantic today... done in by the powers that be so that the master plan won't be revealed until the time is right.

Ugh.
    Let me put it another way. I doubt we have had ZERO communication with the Eagles vis. a vis. their three, announced to be available, QBs. Given our efforts to snag as many Philly FAs as possible because "they know the offense", it strains my credulity to believe we have not at least asked what the Eagles would want for one of their QBs who "know the bloody offense VERY well". We're supposed to be investigating all options, at least for show, not just doing BRADFORD OR BUST!!!! at QB like we appear to be doing with our rookie scouting.

Okay...

So Devaney is a big fat liar. The Rams have been secretly discussing the Eagles QBs with the Philly front office, but he wants to keep it under wraps.

The truth comes, not from the Rams GM, but from beat writers, bloggers and random message board posters.

You people scare me. You really do.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-24-2010 at 11:16 PM.

Okay...

So Devaney is a big fat liar. The Rams have been secretly discussing the Eagles QBs with the Philly front office, but he wants to keep it under wraps.

The truth comes, not from the Rams GM, but from beat writers, bloggers and random message board posters.

Yes he is. The Rams pay him to lie. The stakes are sufficiently high that honesty is not a worthwhile policy for the Rams at this juncture.

And in the 21st Century, that's how stuff usually comes up-some local reporter gets a whiff of something and rushes to report it so they can get the scoop.

Again, I'm reasonably certain the Eagles made up the specific offer that came out today. However, I find it hard to believe that we have not even made a single phone call, email, or face-to-face conversation asking the Eagles what they would want for one of their QBs. Again-Devaney's supposed to be investigating all options. Somebody who knows the offense should be an option that's at least worth asking about.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Just give up AV, you won't win that battle. I doubt Devaney just honed in on Bradford and said "you know what, screw all other options, I want Bradford!."
    You guys insinuating they don't do their due diligence on other guys is ludicrous. Perhaps they have watched tons of film and deemed that indeed, with the number one pick, Bradford should be the guy because he is the best quarterback.

They already have their Eagle quarterback and his name is AJ Feeley, is your conspiracy theory confirmed now?

We aren't doing Bradford or bust, but if your going to get a guy wouldn't you want to get the best at the position at the most important position???

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

lol, so this would be the first time you've seen a gm bend the truth in an on-the-record interview when they are interested in a guy?

i don't doubt trading a 2nd and atogwe for mcnabb is utterly ridiculous, doesn't mean the rams aren't going to be interested in one of philly's 3 reportedly available quarterbacks, they'll do their evaluation process on bradford and all of these guys and do what they think is best. remember that they both know the rams need to win some games this year if they want to be around for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Just give up AV, you won't win that battle. I doubt Devaney just honed in on Bradford and said "you know what, screw all other options, I want Bradford!."
    You guys insinuating they don't do their due diligence on other guys is ludicrous. Perhaps they have watched tons of film and deemed that indeed, with the number one pick, Bradford should be the guy because he is the best quarterback.
    I'd be inclined to believe this, but this is a front office that appears to have put all of its offseason eggs in the "there will be a salary cap in 2010" basket in defiance of many indicators to the contrary and has more or less been scrambling to adapt since. Therefore I can't completely rule us homing in on Bradford out.

They already have their Eagle quarterback and his name is AJ Feeley, is your conspiracy theory confirmed now?
    Actually, Feeley is now my candidate in the "Fire Shurmur, promote assistant, hire Eagle as new assistant plan" with the QB Coach being promoted and Feeley replacing the QB coach.

We aren't doing Bradford or bust, but if your going to get a guy wouldn't you want to get the best at the position at the most important position???
    In what way is Bradford the best? Upside? Proven ability? McNabb, Vick, and Kolb are all more proven than him and therefore better at the moment. All three are also more economical than Bradford; we're not signing any of them to an $80 million contract.

You know... I've never seen Bigfoot, and there's no objective evidence that he exists, so....

He must exist!

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Okay...

Yes, he probably is a liar, as I would want my GM to be. I hope he lie's his ass off every chance he gets to throw everybody off on what we are going to do.

And to say that a team with QB need's is not in contact with a team shopping two good QB's would be laughable at best. If not just to see what the prices of said QB's would be. So when Devaney says that he has not made contact with the eagles, I think we can safely assume he is lieing. And how about we not act surprised that people in positions of power lie to throw of the trail of other people. Just in sports it happens all the time, Saban says he will not leave, he leaves. Hasselbeck says he wants the ball and he is gonna score, he throws an int

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast