Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What I Hope Happens

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

What I Hope Happens

I'd like to see Jadeveon Clowney go #1 overall. This is because the Browns are obviously in the market for a QB, and their specific one whether that be Manziel, Bortles, or Bridgewater. I believe with this happening that the Browns would want to secure their guy and would certainly trade ahead of Jacksonville who is openly on the market for a QB.

Remember the last time the Browns tried to play games? Instead of RG3 they landed Trent Richardson...

Even if the Texans take a QB I really hope it's Bortles because I don't feel like the Browns are high on him. Then they'd feel even a bigger need to trade up ahead of Jacksonville taking their guy. But this is more risky because if the Texans take lets say Johnny Manziel, and that was the guy the Browns wanted, then they'll most likely just stay put and take the BPA at that spot.

Either way, I'm set to take a OT at #4 (traded to) Robinson or Matthews, either would be terrific, and then at #13 I really want Mike Evans. He offers something we currently don't have at our WR position, size and the ability to win jump balls consistently. Evans would be amazing at the X on our team across from Bailey and next to Tavon. We'd have a formidable corps at WR and get an offensive line upgrade allowing us to run the ball better and protect Sam.

My dream off-season:

Sign FA CB Alterraun Verner

Draft: (Trade with Cleveland and get an extra 2nd).

#2 - Jake Matthews, OT, TAMU(I think Robinson goes first)
    #13 - Mike Evans, WR, TAMU
    Rd 2 - LaMarcus Joyner, S, FLST
    Rd 2 - Xavier Su'a Filo, OG, UCLA
    Rd 3 - Dominique Easley, DT, Florida
    Rd 4 - David Fales, QB, SJST

You win and lose games in the trenches. With Jake Long coming back to LT, Jake Matthews being inserted at LG, and Su'a Filo playing RG, we have a completely new line but one that will be excellent for years. They will dominate opposing defensive lines and will open huge holes for the RB's as well as be excellent in pass protection.

Sam finally get's a true big WR that can be a #1 WR. He is also a deep threat. Evans will create some problems for the defense.

Joyner completes the back-end along with the addition of Verner. Our DB's are fiery and now have all our starting spots as well as some depth.

Easley has one of the best first steps I've ever seen on a defender. He will immediately challenge Langford for starting time but will most likely be a backup pass rushing DT for this year. Fales a backup too with some skills. He can sling it and can develop behind Sam.

This is how I feel right now!
    Randart likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    They'd need to throw in another pick.

Re: What I Hope Happens

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    They'd need to throw in another pick.
    I don't think they're desperate enough.

THE DREAM TEAM

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

If Clowney blows up the combine like he's suggested he will, the Rams best interest is to have him be available at 2.

I believe only he and Manziel have the potential to become "simply can not pass on" ability.
    MauiRam likes this.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Who are we starting at tackle if you're drafting Matthews to play guard?

And further, what do you forsee happening with Saffold, Wells and Dahl? Regardless, I'd be happy with the same draft, but the OL would play out like this:

Long
    Filo
    whoever is at Center -- Jones?
    Saffold/whoever is at guard --- Jones?
    Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Who are we starting at tackle if you're drafting Matthews to play guard?

And further, what do you forsee happening with Saffold, Wells and Dahl? Regardless, I'd be happy with the same draft, but the OL would play out like this:

Long
    Filo
    whoever is at Center -- Jones?
    Saffold/whoever is at guard --- Jones?
    Matthews
    I believe Saffold is as good as gone, just doesn't feel like he's going to return. So I'd say the line plays out like this:

Jake Long/Jake Matthews/Barrett Jones/Xavier Su'a Filo/Joe Barksdale

I wouldn't want Matthews on the right side because I don't want him to have to start remembering how to line up in a RT stance and then ditch it next year and switch to a LT stance, it's a lot to put on a rookie even though I know he did it in college.

Eric Fisher struggled this year at RT. Luke Joeckel struggled when he played at RT as well. Lane Johnson started off very rough too but he came into his own.

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    I'm not opposed to the idea of plugging Jake in at guard, but I don't think Matthews will have a lot of remembering to do should they ask him to start at right tackle. He spent three years on the right side of the line. It would probably come very naturally to him to step in at that spot. A lot may depend on how Barksdale is viewed. Teams can sometimes be flexible in getting their best five lineman on the field, so I wouldn't worry about how the Rams did it. There are enough potential holes on the OL to find a place for both of them.
    mde8352gorams likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I don't think they're desperate enough.
    I don't know what you are basing that on.

Under the TVC, they should throw in a 3rd round pick to even it out (I would not be adverse to a 2015 3rd round selection).

I don't know what you are basing that on.

Under the TVC, they should throw in a 3rd round pick to even it out (I would not be adverse to a 2015 3rd round selection).
    I'm basing that off my own opinion. If the Texans take Bortles like many suspect, then the Browns will have a choice between Manziel and Bridgewater (at the very least). I don't see them offering half their draft to move up 2 spots when Jacksonville doesn't seem to want Manziel (at least not yet), though anything can happen.

And why do we need to get greedy? There is no need and no point for it. Unless we get offered more by another team (potentially the Falcons) we take anything that comes our way because we drop 2 spots that will both be filled by QB's, meaning we still get the guy we want and whatever extra can be considered a gift.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I'm basing that off my own opinion. If the Texans take Bortles like many suspect, then the Browns will have a choice between Manziel and Bridgewater (at the very least). I don't see them offering half their draft to move up 2 spots when Jacksonville doesn't seem to want Manziel (at least not yet), though anything can happen.

And why do we need to get greedy? There is no need and no point for it. Unless we get offered more by another team (potentially the Falcons) we take anything that comes our way because we drop 2 spots that will both be filled by QB's, meaning we still get the guy we want and whatever extra can be considered a gift.
    Its not a question of greed, its a question of maximizing the value of the pick we hold. Asking for a 2014 second round pick and 2015 third round pick seems reasonable to me. If the Browns truly favor one QB in particular, I don't think they'd blow up the deal over a future 3rd rounder.

Its not a question of greed, its a question of maximizing the value of the pick we hold. Asking for a 2014 second round pick and 2015 third round pick seems reasonable to me. If the Browns truly favor one QB in particular, I don't think they'd blow up the deal over a future 3rd rounder.
    Maybe, maybe not. I think we should be happy with whatever we can get because we're not losing out on anything. You ask for that extra 3rd and hear the phone hangup you just lost a 2nd rounder potential starter from day 1 because you were greedy.

THE DREAM TEAM

general counsel is offline Registered User

I am not sold as others on Mike Evans being a big upgrade from what we have, unless people are giving up on Brian Quick, and i for one dont want to make that judgment yet. I will say this, if we take mike evans, it is certainly not a vote of confidence from Fisher and Snead regarding the future of Quick. I am worried that Evans fits into the man against boys problem. BIg and strong sure, but route running? Not so convinced.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    MauiRam and mde8352gorams like this.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Sosa,

I have a few comments to make concerning your mock.

1.) The trade with Cleveland is a little light. Remember, even if they throw in a 2015 pick it will be valued at one round less. A mid to upper level second rounder should do the trick.

2.) I agree with many of the positions you are filling but not necessarily the players. I would most definitely take Sammy Watkins at No. 4 and then Zach Martin at No. 13.

3.) Might look for an OLB with the second 2nd round pick. Somebody like Jeremiah Attaocho or Carl Bradford could be possibilities.

Overall good work....keep'em coming!!!
    sosa39rams likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Precisely GC. I think Mike Evans will be a very good WR down the road, if he grows up his route running and matures emotionally. He was as much a function of the Johnny Manziel "rodeo" at A&M as Manziel himself. There are other WR's in this draft who can offer much of what Evans gives us without the other stuff. While the combine isn't everything it will go a long way in deciding if Evans is worthy of a middle 1st round pick or higher.

I further agree with your point about Brian Quick. We've invested 2 years with him learning the system, why give up on it now? Don't forget Les Snead has his fingerprints on selecting him, I doubt he's ready to throw in the towel. A year from now, maybe.

Go Rams!

Randart is offline Registered User

I enjoyed your take on the draft and our OL Sosa, I feel drafting Evans is not giving up on Quick. It would however probably be the end for Pettis as Evans would be doing the Red Zone thing with Quick and our TE's. I think Evans is a upgrade over Pettis every day in the week and I like Pettis. Wonder what he would get us in trade? Something to consider on day 2 or 3 if we want to trade back up into a round. Good job on the draft, one more thing I thought of is XSF the highest rated Guard you got at that point in the draft? I am a UCLA fan but I think there are at least 3 other guys in this draft I would grade higher.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast