ramhard is offline Registered User

What I like and don't like about Rams draft

I think the Rams have done two things very well so far in this draft:

(1). Established the future with the OLine. With the age of the interior folks, Timmerman etc., this line needed flesh blood and not FA/7th round flesh blood but guys who could step in within 1 -2 years. I think Barron (obviously) plus Incognito and Terrel (remember most of his negatives apply more to his play at tackle than at guard), coupled with the carryovers of Saipia, Tercero, and Turner I think the OLine future is set without having to invest too much more here.

(2). Gotten people who can solidify the special teams. Bartell, Carter, Atogwe, and Collins all should contribute on the special teams. I just wish they would have gotten an outstanding return guy.

(3). Created depth at safety. But I'm not sure any of those guys are ready to start this year or even next year.

What I don't like on the draft.

(1). No big uglies on the defensive side early (no d-lineman, no depth at ILB). Despite several DE's being available late they passsed on them.
    (2). While lots of bodies at defensive back. I don't think any of them are clearly ready to step in and help right away on every down.
    (3). It would have been nice to have drafted at least one playmaker - either on offense, special teams, or defense. None of the draftees seem to be guys who will change the tempo of a game (except if the OL draftees come through and make the Rams a power running team).

I will update after I see the 6th and 7th.
    Last edited by ramhard; -04-24-2005 at 02:48 PM.

general counsel Guest

Re: What I like and don't like about Rams draft

Curious ramhard, why do you think we need more depth at linebacker from a priority standpoint. we have three starters, plus thomas, chillar and trev faulk. If someone said me may not have a real impact linebacker, i understand the point, but i looks to me like depth is one thing we have. At most, we will carry 7 linebackers and while i agree that another one would be nice, i think depth in the secondary is a lot more important.

I think we are still going to look for a starter at free safety post june 1, if not make another run at antuan edwards sooner.

general counsel

ramhard is offline Registered User

LB's

Good question GC,

My thinking is Thomas is a bust, Faulk and Chillar have not shown they are physical enough to play inside at the point of attack (they both were tried there last year and didn't pan out). If anything happens to Claiborne we are back to watching average backs get 100 yards a game. While the Rams have numbers at LB, I think they can still use an inside physical guy who backs up at ILB and is a ST terror.

general counsel Guest

Re: What I like and don't like about Rams draft

Evaluating thomas is a function of expectations. He may well be a bust as per expectations for a first round draftpick and starting middlelinebacker, but as a backup, is he really a bust? How many teams have a backup middle guy better than thomas who is still young and has been hurt. Chillar, too soon to tell. Faulk has shown to be an impact special teams player.

I am not debating that we could use another guy, only stating that in a salary cap era, its tough to have the kind of depth we would all like. thats what makes the eagles so scarry to me. That are loaded up and down the lineup.

general counsel