Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    39thebeast is offline Registered User

What if Chris long is gone?

What if the phins decide to take Chris Long and no one wanted to trade up to the 2 spot. Who would you take then. Do you take the best offensive linemen in Jake Long who would be sitting on the bench? Do you reach for Gholston who could make an immediate impact? Or do you take one of the best defensive prospects to come out in while, but he isn't at a position of great need in Glen Dorsey.

I am warming up to Dorsey. Say Cariker get down to about 285 (similar to Chris Long). He probably wouldn't be as fast as Long but he could stuff the run just as well or better. His first start at DE he got a sack against ATL. I think he is capable of getting a 7-13 sack season. Dorsey could also provide an interior pass rush (3-8 sacks) and stuff the run by being a presence in the backfield. I think it would help the defense all around

Little Dorsey Ryan Carriker

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: What if Chris long is gone?

If Chris Long is gone, I take Dorsey no questions asked. Glover is not getting younger and Wroten is crap.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    If Chris Long is gone, I take Dorsey no questions asked. Glover is not getting younger and Wroten is crap.
    Either Dorsey or Gholston is my picks. Both would be a great contribution to the squad

ENN107 is offline Registered User

It doesn't matter who is left. This pick will be hard to mess up

shower beers is offline Registered User

You would have to take Dorsey, especially with Carriker's ability to switch positions.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I don't really like the Dorsey pick. We've spent a full season trying to adapt Adam Carriker to the idea of playing defensive tackle full time... only to switch him back the next year? I like Carriker better as a 4-3 DT than I do a 4-3 DE, so I'm not too keen on taking Dorsey there and forcing a move by someone. If anything, I think taking Dorsey means Clifton Ryan becomes a back-up/situational guy rather than moving Carriker outside. I don't think Carriker @ DE gives us the kind of pass rush we need - suggesting he could get up to 13 sacks a season from the edge is pretty lofty and not very realistic IMO.

You could be right, but that's still a solid rotation.

Mario Williams tried to do it all last year, and only when he stayed at DE this year did he really start to shine.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Do you take the best offensive linemen in Jake Long who would be sitting on the bench? -- 39thebeast
    Chris Long better not be gone!

But, okay, let's say Miami beats us to him, I'd go with Jake Long. Please elucidate me on this -- why would this Long be on the bench? I thought this OT would be ready to play, as Carriker and Ryan did on defense this year.
    Last edited by RealRam; -01-02-2008 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Quote

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Mario Williams tried to do it all last year, and only when he stayed at DE this year did he really start to shine.
    But Carriker is no where near as explosive as Williams when it comes to getting off the line at the snap. Williams is able to excel as a DE in part because, even though he's big, he has the speed to back it up and beat guys on the edge.

Carriker does not have that short area explosion off the snap and is more of a power rusher who gains penetration through leverage and technique, which is why most everyone considered him a DT in the 4-3 scheme and why I doubt he'd be a very good sack artist from the DE position over the course of a season.

Meanwhile, a guy like Chris Long has some size to him but he also is reasonably quick off the edge as well which is why I think he'd be a very good fit as a strong-side defensive end in the 4-3. He's really a nice combination of everything.

I think you misunderstood me...

I meant that Carriker will be better and develop more staying where he's at, rather than swapping positions on the line, if the Rams selected Dorsey, and in fact, ran a rotation where Carrikier would be moving around.

In short, I agree with what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I think you misunderstood me...

I meant that Carriker will be better and develop more staying where he's at, rather than swapping positions on the line, if the Rams selected Dorsey, and in fact, ran a rotation where Carrikier would be moving around.

In short, I agree with what you're saying.
    Gotcha. I thought you were suggesting a shift back to DE would benefit Carriker. I see your point now.

STLRams73 is offline Registered User

Doesn't matter if Chris Long is or isn't there. Jake Long will be our pick unless Miami takes him which they won't. Our OL is in dire straits and needs new blood. J Long is our pick

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by STLRams73 View Post
    Doesn't matter if Chris Long is or isn't there. Jake Long will be our pick unless Miami takes him which they won't. Our OL is in dire straits and needs new blood. J Long is our pick
    From where I stand, Chris Long, from a value perspective, is probably a slightly better candidate than Jake right now. Chris has the opportunity to come in and start right away, whereas Jake may be forced to sit behind both Alex Barron and Orlando Pace. Chris Long can come in and start, or at least be a part of a good rotation right away. He's a nice combination of everything you look for in a defensive end, whereas there are concerns over where exactly Jake Long fits as an offensive lineman.

When you add in value and starting potential, you may find Chris Long the better candidate. That's not to say I disagree that the OL is in need of new blood, but I believe that can be found in (at least) round 2, in a guy like Cherilus or Williams, and through feee agency. Jacob Bell should be available from Tennesse, and Stacy Andrews from Cincinatti.

BIG MACK ATTACK is offline Registered User

I truly believe (along with a lot of people) that the left tackle position is the most important position on the field period. Look what happens when we don't have Pace in our starting line up, 3-13 and key injuries to Bulger and Jackson. I am not blaming all our misfortunes on the left tackle position, but a lot. I think we need to trade the mistake prone Barron for a good pick, pick Jake Long as our #1 and move him to right tackle until either Pace retires (which I think will be in the next year or two) or gets hurt once again. We can't protect Bulger or run Jackson outside with out an ace tackle!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

If the Dolphins decide to take Chris Long over McFadden, I think the Rams would have to have call waiting on their draft phone due to how many teams would be speed dialing them to trade up to snag that RB.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast