Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What is our biggest draft need?

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

What is our biggest draft need?

This is not to say, who should be our pick at #16, it is more along the lines of, what area do the Rams need to address the most. We all know if Joeckel would be our choice if he somehow fell to #16, but LT(in my mind at least) is not our biggest need. So what one area, is in the biggest need of upgrading? PLease give reason to the choice.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: What is our biggest draft need?

Offensive line, safety, receiver, and outside linebacker... in that order. In a perfect world we'd be able to sign Greg Jennings on the cheap (since he's been injured all year), resign Amendola to a cap-friendly contract, draft Warmack with the 16th pick, get either Vaccaro or Elam with the 22nd, and then get an athletic OLB in the 2nd or 3rd round.
    Tampa_Ram and jerseyramsfan like this.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Offensive line, safety, receiver, and outside linebacker... in that order. In a perfect world we'd be able to sign Greg Jennings on the cheap (since he's been injured all year), resign Amendola to a cap-friendly contract, draft Warmack with the 16th pick, get either Vaccaro or Elam with the 22nd, and then get an athletic OLB in the 2nd or 3rd round.
    Vinnie you nailed it. Love the way you think. Draft Warmack, I like Elam over Vaccaro. Biggest Need O Line.... Reason: Protection, Protection, Protection

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Vinnie you nailed it. Love the way you think. Draft Warmack, I like Elam over Vaccaro. Biggest Need O Line.... Reason: Protection, Protection, Protection
    I definitely agree with Elam over Vaccaro. Even though scouts say that Vaccaro is better in pass defense, after watching Elam absolutely lay the wood on some dudes on Youtube I'd much rather have him. He's also not too shabby against the pass either, waaaaay better than crappy Dahl

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I definitely agree with Elam over Vaccaro. Even though scouts say that Vaccaro is better in pass defense, after watching Elam absolutely lay the wood on some dudes on Youtube I'd much rather have him. He's also not too shabby against the pass either, waaaaay better than crappy Dahl
    What is our biggest draft need?-craig-dahl.jpg

Vinnie Craig Dahl would like a word with you! He DISAGREES!! lol
    When safties are concerned I like Elam, Rambo, Vacarro. Vacarro just reminds me waaaayyyy to much of Adam Archuleta.

Needs Are Offensive line, safety, outside linebacker, WR.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	craig-dahl.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	3325

Vinnie Craig Dahl would like a word with you! He DISAGREES!! lol
    When safties are concerned I like Elam, Rambo, Vacarro. Vacarro just reminds me waaaayyyy to much of Adam Archuleta.

Needs Are Offensive line, safety, outside linebacker, WR.
    i just want a safety who won't get burned a lot, and can take the right angle to tackle people

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    i just want a safety who won't get burned a lot, and can take the right angle to tackle people
    This is what everyone gets for wanting OJ out of here... he wasn't the best in coverage but boy was he a turnover machine.... and he didn't take bad angles! Shame on everyone of you OJ haters!

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    This is what everyone gets for wanting OJ out of here... he wasn't the best in coverage but boy was he a turnover machine.... and he didn't take bad angles! Shame on everyone of you OJ haters!
    OJ was a terrible tackler! I think we just need a youth infusion, a young and hungry banger back there.

THE DREAM TEAM

TekeRam is offline Registered User

When you say that we need offensive line... well there's 5 different positions there, though you can kinda boil them down to four, guard being fairly interchangeable. With safety, there's two roles there as well.

I'm going to say that our overall biggest need is indeed, a right tackle. Our best one in recent memory might be Alex Barron... and that is saying a lot. Now, there's two ways that we can play that game. First, we can draft a tackle who can hopefully be dominant on the right side. If he can hold his own, protection can slide over towards Saffold and help him out on the inside bull rush.

The other way we can go, would be to draft Warmack with the option of playing him at right guard(I still want to see Watkins at LG after a year of learning, rehab, and training) and kicking Harvey Dahl out to right tackle, where he has been servicable, and more than just ok, before.

When it comes to safety, we need a center fielder. Darian Stewart is much better as a strong, in the box safety, and I think that Mikell has slowed a bit to the point where his instincts are better down near the line of scrimmage sniffing out the ball carrier. We need a guy who can protect the deep ball, as many of you have said. Look at the Denver game and the three huge TD's that they gave up. That was exactly how Baltimore carved us up last year as well.
    I believe!

shower beers is offline Registered User

Playmakers. I will take 8 of them, please.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

BPAWIAQBDEMLBKOP

(Best player available who isn't a QB, DE, MLB, K or P)
    thoey and Vinnie25 like this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Wide Receiver.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Wide Receiver.
    I wholeheartedly disagree.

We have lots of young talent between Givens, Quick, Pettis, and even Gibson is still young. We don't need young, raw and talented. We need veteran, reliable, knows how to get open types(as in, not draft).

Maybe I'm delusional, but does anyone else see that if we just keep chronically drafting talented but raw guys, they will all only learn through reps that they steal from each other? None of them will be able to learn unless they're doing it. Meanwhile, if we bring in a slightly older but still good veteran, he can shre some of his experiences, pass on his knowledge, and tutor up our young guys that are already on the roster. Is it more expensive, yes. Does it still steal reps away from our current young guys, also yes, because assumably we'll be looking at a starting quality receiver. But he'll be able to teach them when they are off the field as well.

Our offensive line and defensive secondary both have those older vets who can pass on knowledge, and are primed for young guys who can come in with better physical abilities but learn the tricks of the trade from the other guys.
    I believe!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I wholeheartedly disagree.
    Cool.

We have lots of young talent between Givens, Quick, Pettis, and even Gibson is still young. We don't need young, raw and talented. We need veteran, reliable, knows how to get open types(as in, not draft).
    We have lots of young "RAW" talent. I for one am not going to wait around and hope they "pan" out while Bradford continues not having any solid receivers to throw to.

Maybe I'm delusional, but does anyone else see that if we just keep chronically drafting talented but raw guys, they will all only learn through reps that they steal from each other? None of them will be able to learn unless they're doing it.
    The best receivers play. I don't care if we draft a 7th round receiver and he starts in front of Quick. I have no allegiance or ties to Brian Quick. I want to see our WR corps improved and by sticking with essentially the same receivers we had last year...that's not going to cut it.

Meanwhile, if we bring in a slightly older but still good veteran, he can shred some of his experiences, pass on his knowledge, and tutor up our young guys that are already on the roster.
    Have you not noticed we've tried this every year?

Is it more expensive, yes. Does it still steal reps away from our current young guys, also yes, because assumably we'll be looking at a starting quality receiver. But he'll be able to teach them when they are off the field as well.
    Teach them what? The only things the veterans we've brought to St. Louis for the past several years have taught our younger guys is how to sit on the bench.

Our offensive line and defensive secondary both have those older vets who can pass on knowledge, and are primed for young guys who can come in with better physical abilities but learn the tricks of the trade from the other guys.
    That's cool and all, but again...the topic is at WR. There is no WR on this team that is consistent enough to be an effective playmaker.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Im going to go with Safety as our biggest need, followed by a tie of WR/RT. As was pointed out earlier, we need playmakers!!! We really don't have any big time playmaker, yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast