View Poll Results: If Green and Jones are gone, what is Plan B in Round 1 of the draft?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Take a DE who fits in a 4-3 and can rush the passer.

12 17.14%
  • Go with an OLB like Von Miller or Akeem Ayers

18 25.71%
  • Take the third best WR (maybe Jonathan Baldwin)

2 2.86%
  • Take the top OG to bolster the O line

1 1.43%
  • Hope that Mark Ingram is still there, and grab him!

4 5.71%
  • Best Player Available - regardless of position (other than QB)

24 34.29%
  • Trade down for more picks.

9 12.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

What is "Plan B" for Round 1 of the Draft?

While I know there are a few who disagree, the overwhelming consensus right now is that (1) WR is the primary need, and (2) Julio Jones (who, unlike A.J. Green could be there at pick #14) is the top option.

Okay...

But what if Green and Jones are both gone when the Rams pick?

What is Plan B?

NOTE: If you are among those who don't think WR is the top need or don't think Jones is worth the #14 pick, just move along. This thread/poll is not for you.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Re: What is "Plan B" for Round 1 of the Draft?

gran an olb, our other needs(like guard, safety, rb and de) can be addressed later or in free agency. By far our biggest two needs are a wide receiver and an olb. The rest of the positions we have solid players but no long term solutions. Olb and wr need upgraded immediately and for the long term.

Here's how I broke it down:

DE - definitely a possibility, but there should be good options there in Rounds 2 and 3, and we could probably squeeze one more good year out of James Hall.

WR - Baldwin is a guy I'm watching, and I might be persuaded that he's worth considering after the Combine and workouts. Right now, however, I have him rated as a late first/early second round prospect.

OG - I just don't think its necessary to spend such a high draft choice on an OG.

Ingram - He's likely the best of the bunch, but I'm not convinced he's an elite prospect.

BPA - too broad a category. I think the Rams still have to consider need as well as BPA evaluations.

Trade down - tempting. Would have to be the right deal, though.

So, in the end, I chose OLB. The Rams really need an upgrade there, and Ayers in particular could be a HUGE upgrade who would fit the system well.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Depends on how FA works out. If were basing this on no FA than I will go with Akeem Ayers (LB), Aldon Smith (DE), Von Miller (LB), or Allen Bailey (DE/DT). We cant grab another high offensive lineman. There is too much money invested there. I prefer someone from free agency of later in the draft.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I selected "take a DE who fits in a 4-3 and can rush the passer". Of course I believe that that's "Plan A".

"Plan B" would be to take an OLB like Von Miller or Akeem Ayers.

At this point I don't see wide receiver being addressed until maybe the 3rd round.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I selected "take a DE who fits in a 4-3 and can rush the passer". Of course I believe that that's "Plan A".

"Plan B" would be to take an OLB like Von Miller or Akeem Ayers.

At this point I don't see wide receiver being addressed until maybe the 3rd round.

WHAT SAY YE?
    What say me? I say stay on topic.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i voted trade down -(then i`d go BPA at one of the front seven positions on D,apart from MLB of course)

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Go with a young OLB that fits the system and checks out on all the intangibles. Whether that be Miller or Ayers, only DeSpags can decide. If, for some reason, neither of those options are there, I'd trade down and weigh our options.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Trade down I love both Jon Baldwin and Torrey Smith legit deep threats we could really use even though they are both a bit raw there physical tools are off the charts.

If you can't trade down Best Defensve Player. IMO We are young and expensive on the O-line, have our QB, Its a bit too early for S-Jax sucessor, Kyle Rudolph is a reach, and the top WRs are off the board.

Stephen Paea would top my list followed by Aldon Smith then Akeem Ayers

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

My opinion...

Plan B would be to take a DE who fits in a 4-3 and can rush the passer. I'm looking specifically at Ryan Kerrigan or Aldon Smith.

Plan C would be to go with an OLB like Miller or Ayers, though schematically my preference is Ayers.

I don't think the value is there to take the third best receiver at 14th overall.

I don't think the top OG is good value there either, even if you consider Carimi the best OG in this class.

If the Rams are going to add a running back, I'd prefer it be a change of pace 'back to compliment Jackson rather than Ingram. So I'd pass on that one.

I'm not a huge fan of going strictly Best Player Available, or for that matter strictly need. It has to be a combo, so I'll rule that one out.

Trade down is certainly an option, but it's hard for me to envision a scenario where we don't have a shot at a good prospect at a position of need. If somehow we don't, or if we get an incredible offer, I'd be open to it. Call it Plan D, I guess.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I chose the BPA option as an easy out. The way that I see it, the best players available who are projected to go from picks 8-20 are, at this point in time, all players at positions of need for the Rams. I genuinely wouldn't have a problem with, for example, Ayers or Miller or Claiborne if they're the best player sitting on the board when we pick. It seems to me like you could pick just about any position outside of QB, OT, C, Punter, Kicker and MLB and justify the selection of a talented player in the first round. I feel like we'd be receiving an upgrade at a key position no matter who we pick at #14. We might as well pick the best player we can.

Speaking broadly, that probably rules out a WR or an OG at pick #14 at this point in time.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -01-25-2011 at 07:18 AM.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Can i choose other and pick DT? Tell me a DT that can be a starter for the rams 2 seasons from now.
    Stephen Paea thats who!!!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I'm not a huge fan of going strictly Best Player Available, or for that matter strictly need. It has to be a combo, so I'll rule that one out.
    I suppose you and I view the term "BPA" differently. To me, BPA is not a universal standard. BPA for the Rams is different than BPA for the Lions or Bengals or Bears (oh my!). The only arena in which BPA is universal is for the Kipers and Mayocks of the world. The draftniks don't have to factor in need, because they view the draft through the eyes of all 32 teams. When they make a draft board (ie. BPA ranking), need is not part of the factor. However, when the Rams make a BPA ranking, they do so with the Rams need factored in. And for that reason, I say BPA. Don't reach for a specific position if there is a better player (per the Rams position need factored in) is there, take him; even if it is not the position du jour.

When I hear the term BPA, I have to assume DeSpags has done their job and it's more than the Best Player Available; it's the Best Player Available With Position Need Being Factored.

It's just that BPAWPNBF doesn't roll off the tongue.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Watch video on Ayers before you say we should draft him. I wouldn't touch the guy, he will be a bust. He will fall out of the first. I like the OLB from Boston College, the cancer survivor. If he hadn't had cancer he would be a top ten pick, he's much better now and we could maybe get him in the 2nd. Deffinately a four pillars guy.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    When I hear the term BPA, I have to assume DeSpags has done their job and it's more than the Best Player Available; it's the Best Player Available With Position Need Being Factored.
    Right, but since BPAWPNBF (trademark that!) was essentially the qualifier I was referring to, that's fine. However, there are instances IMO when teams go BPA without necessarily factoring in positional need, just like there are teams that reach for need because they've targeted a specific position regardless of value.

I'd prefer the Rams not be either of those teams, and since the only qualifier in the BPA option in this poll was "other than QB" I'd rather not leave the door open for a pick that doesn't put much if any emphasis on positional need.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast