Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    djdeeznutz Guest

What is the point to draft Raji in the 1st round?

I dont know why any of us (Ram fans) would want to draft Raji. u guys no the history of the mike martz era where we drafted DL in the 1st round and they became busts.

plus the last 2 years we draft DL. SO why would we draft another. Long and Carriker are the ones we drafted. They fill the right side of the line.

Little still has 2 good years left in him cuz right now he is our best speed pass rusher!

Since Spags is the head coach people might think Raji will be a monster in his system. Since Spags is so good and helped Tuck get his career going why cant he do the same to Cliff Ryan or Claude Wrotton??????????

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

Re: What is the point to draft Raji in the 1st round?

Even if we draft Raji, Little will still see plenty of playing time because Spags likes to have deep d-lines to rotate in and out. I want Raji because I just don't think Carriker will be more than an average defensive tackle, but if we get Raji we could move Carriker back outside where he could be a great run stopping defensive end with a decent pass rush. If we get him, I think we solidify our defensive line for 6+ years.

And if we take Moore in the 2nd round, we could quickly go from one of the 5 worst run defenses in the league to possibly a top 10-15 run defense.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Because if we draft Raji, Raji will take up double teams, and will plug a lot of running lanes that in previous seasons, we were unable to do. We suffered from a lack of run stopping.

Plus, Raji will boaster the production of our two first round d-linemen, (Long and Carriker) because as previously mentioned, teams will most likely shift protection over to Raji which will take pressure off of Long and Carriker.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I would love for the Rams to move back in the draft around the 6th or 7th pick and then take Raji. I wouldn't even charge the Raiders or bangals that much. for our pick I would want there 1st & 2nd this year and 3rd next year. If u don't ask for the world trade will get done. Raji or OT it doesn't matter . But defence builds Championships.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    I would love for the Rams to move back in the draft around the 6th or 7th pick and then take Raji. I wouldn't even charge the Raiders or bangals that much. for our pick I would want there 1st & 2nd this year and 3rd next year. If u don't ask for the world trade will get done. Raji or OT it doesn't matter . But defence builds Championships.
    I'm not sure Raji would still be there at 6 or 7...but we could still take somebody like Jason Smith if he gets taken so yeah I like that idea, but I would never count on being able to trade out of the #2 spot

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

How many times does The Rams braintrust have to be seduced by the Dark Side & take sketchy characters like L. Phillips, D. Byrd, and Claude Wroten before we as fans are convinced that there is more to look at in a player's profile than physical ability?

Raji could be the next Warren Sapp but his background suggests to me that he is more likely to be a bust.

Maybe the kid has matured & will take advantage of his talent & opportunity but someone who failed to keep himself academically eligible & thus was unable to contribute to his team for a year, got ejected for fighting from a game, struggled through his college career with fitness and intensity sounds to me like a player who will have trouble fitting Spags' criteria of faith,character,core values, and team first, no matter how good his workout numbers or Senior Bowl performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    How many times does The Rams braintrust have to be seduced by the Dark Side & take sketchy characters like L. Phillips, D. Byrd, and Claude Wroten before we as fans are convinced that there is more to look at in a player's profile than physical ability?

Raji could be the next Warren Sapp but his background suggests to me that he is more likely to be a bust.

Maybe the kid has matured & will take advantage of his talent & opportunity but someone who failed to keep himself academically eligible & thus was unable to contribute to his team for a year, got ejected for fighting from a game, struggled through his college career with fitness and intensity sounds to me like a player who will have trouble fitting Spags' criteria of faith,character,core values, and team first, no matter how good his workout numbers or Senior Bowl performance.
    The academic problem doesn't worry me. It was somewhat his fault but he was told he only needed to take 2 courses over the summer to be eligible for the 2007 season, but after he finished them he found out he needed three. And I am not worried about him getting into a fight on the football field in 2006, I think he will be fine.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    we drafted DL in the 1st round and they became busts.
    That is precisely why we still need good d lineman.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If you want to argue that the Rams shouldn't go DL this year because they've gone DL with their first pick in the last two drafts, I can get behind that reason.

But...

u guys no the history of the mike martz era where we drafted DL in the 1st round and they became busts.
    What in the world does that have to do with anything? We're two coaches removed from Martz, and we have different people in the front office making the draft decisions now as well. Previous draft history has no bearing on what we do now.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

All I know is if Smith or Monroe don't look too hot post combine, I'm hoping the powers that be pull the trigger on either Raji or Curry. More Curry because from what I've heard he's the consensus defensive stud this draft. Don't waste the pick on sub-par talent because it's what we 'need'.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The fact that the Rams have missed on DTs in the past has no bearing on the decision. There have been many first round DTs in recent years who have lived up to their draft position (Casey Hamption, Kevin Williams, Albert Haynesworth, Marcus Stroud). Its just a matter of selecting the right one.

To be in favor of Raji, I think you have to be convinced of two things:

1) he is truly an elite prospect at NT; and
    2) he would make the players around him significantly better.

I believe both of those things. Additionally, I consider the depth at other need positions. I think there will be good options for the Rams at OT in Round 2 and C in Round 3. Therefore, I think the Rams would benefit from taking Raji in Round 1 to anchor the defense.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The Rams missed on Ryan Pickett BY NOT RESIGNING HIM.

diehard99 is offline Registered User

They say Raji does wear down in games though. Is this being too critical? And I still believe we need a starting MLB to draft this year to play behind Raji.FA's are too exspencive for what you get in return. Time for us to develope our own players!

soup1981 Guest

I dont know why any of us (Ram fans) would want to draft Raji. u guys no the history of the mike martz era where we drafted DL in the 1st round and they became busts.

plus the last 2 years we draft DL. SO why would we draft another. Long and Carriker are the ones we drafted. They fill the right side of the line.

Little still has 2 good years left in him cuz right now he is our best speed pass rusher!

Since Spags is the head coach people might think Raji will be a monster in his system. Since Spags is so good and helped Tuck get his career going why cant he do the same to Cliff Ryan or Claude Wrotton??????????

The only bust that comes to mind is DT Jamie ? what was his name? Ryan pickett and damione lewis are both starting for good defenses (packers and panthers ) that is typical Rams, let decent young players with potnetial go, and signing old free agents ( Sehorn,Glover,Chavous,Draft)
    Lucky for us we have a new staff hopefully those days will soon be behind us, in a couple of years me might be able to get a grip on the cap then we can be able to resign our young players... Am i forgetting any other players who were busts?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Additionally, I consider the depth at other need positions. I think there will be good options for the Rams at OT in Round 2 and C in Round 3. Therefore, I think the Rams would benefit from taking Raji in Round 1 to anchor the defense.
    At #2 overall? You think he's that good?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast