Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
  1. #16
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: What is the point to draft Raji in the 1st round?

    The fact that our previous first round DTs didn't turn out is exactly why we would draft another one. If those DTs had lived up to expectations in St. Louis (with the Pickett case possibly being an exception), we wouldn't be looking for one at this point.

    In any event, DT is a position of need. It is likely Glover and Wroten will not be with us next season. That leaves Carriker and Ryan. At the minimum, we should have a couple more bodies to rotate in there. Some would argue that Ryan has less than optimal size for a full-time nose tackle and would be better suited as a rotational depth player.

    The only bust that comes to mind is DT Jamie ? what was his name?
    Jimmy Kennedy would be his name. Also, while Damione Lewis did take over the starting position in Carolina this season after Kris Jenkins left, I don't think he has ever really been a distinguished performer at the position. The Panthers were 20th against the run this season, and the big body taking on double teams on that defensive line was Kemoeatu.


  2. #17
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,382
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: What is the point to draft Raji in the 1st round?

    I posted on a BC board about Raji's perceived weaknesses a couple of days ago. Most dismissed my concerns about the academic issues although there were a lot of cheeseburger jokes in reference to his weight/fitness problem. Few thought he was worth a #2 pick even if they loved him.

    This is a representative example:

    "Raji is a beast. That said, it would be surprising if he goes 2nd, although if he fits tha needs and gameplan, he would be good choice. Raji is the best D lineman I have seen at BC, has NFL star potential as his gains upperbody strength. Issues of character shouldn't be much of a concern. He comes from a great family and his academic issues are specific to the setting (BC being rather scrupulous and academically challenging)."

    Make of it what you will, ClanRam.

  3. #18
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,671
    Rep Power
    168

    Re: What is the point to draft Raji in the 1st round?

    Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    At #2 overall? You think he's that good?
    In a word, yes.

  4. #19
    djdeeznutz Guest

    Re: What is the point to draft Raji in the 1st round?

    Yall are jokin right?

    Are u guys really thinkin bout draftin a scrub with da #2 pick. N diz guy is failin some classes which is even worse.

    Do u guys want to relive another JImmie Kennedy again?


    My opinion is to see if any of the 3 big OT (monroe, A. smith, Oher) have a phenominal combine if they dont trade or take curry or crabtree

    This years drat does not have that big star player other than crabtree so that sux we cood mess up easily if we dont take hime (i dont want crabtree)


    BJ Raji is a scrub so we should not draft him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!even if we trade out

  5. #20
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,929
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: What is the point to draft Raji in the 1st round?

    Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    Yall are jokin right?

    Are u guys really thinkin bout draftin a scrub with da #2 pick. N diz guy is failin some classes which is even worse.
    I don't think this sort of grammar really qualifies you to judge.

    Why is it that you think Raji is a "scrub"? All you've done is repeat the same sentiment without providing any real reason as to why he's not a good prospect. Just because you say it over and over doesn't make it true, and to be honest I don't see where you're getting the Jimmy Kennedy comparison from, other than the fact that they are both first round DT's who could be drafted by the Rams.

  6. #21
    djdeeznutz Guest

    Re: What is the point to draft Raji in the 1st round?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I don't think this sort of grammar really qualifies you to judge.

    Why is it that you think Raji is a "scrub"? All you've done is repeat the same sentiment without providing any real reason as to why he's not a good prospect. Just because you say it over and over doesn't make it true, and to be honest I don't see where you're getting the Jimmy Kennedy comparison from, other than the fact that they are both first round DT's who could be drafted by the Rams.
    i remember this guy got suspended for half a game for punching an opponet. in the NFl the kid going to get a fine and a suspensions so there is alot of maturity issues. (Compare him to pacman jones)

    The guy has stamina issues and takes plays off. I no under spags there will be many substitutions but what will we do when there is 1:00 left on the clock and the opponents have da ball and need 3 points to tie and the opponents are out of timeouts? Itz going to be hurry up offence and for us to take a guy like that as the 2nd pick just doesnt work.

    I did not even here about this scrub until his senior season so he is basically being judged for one great year!

    With the 2nd pick we need an eveydown franchise lineman that is there every play. Like chris long last year. This scrub dont got it. He dont even got no maturity

  7. #22
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,086
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: What is the point to draft Raji in the 1st round?

    Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    i remember this guy got suspended for half a game for punching an opponet. in the NFl the kid going to get a fine and a suspensions so there is alot of maturity issues. (Compare him to pacman jones)

    The guy has stamina issues and takes plays off. I no under spags there will be many substitutions but what will we do when there is 1:00 left on the clock and the opponents have da ball and need 3 points to tie and the opponents are out of timeouts? Itz going to be hurry up offence and for us to take a guy like that as the 2nd pick just doesnt work.

    I did not even here about this scrub until his senior season so he is basically being judged for one great year!

    With the 2nd pick we need an eveydown franchise lineman that is there every play. Like chris long last year. This scrub dont got it. He dont even got no maturity
    Why do you keep calling him scrub? He's practically a top 15 pick. There's no reason to call him a "scrub".


    The fact is that of all the DTs we have drafted, none of them are with us anymore, and we have a big hole at DT. It's about time we draft a run stuffer big body guy to plug some holes up. He would also relieve some pressure off our linebackers because this guy will take up double teams.

  8. #23
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,929
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: What is the point to draft Raji in the 1st round?

    Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    . (Compare him to pacman jones)
    I really don't think there's anybody who really does legitimately compare to Jones from the last 10 or so years. As a Nose Tackle his primary job is to tie up blockers in order to stop the run. This also means that he may not see the field on some passing downs. I don't think his stamina was an issue at the Senior Bowl and I don't see any reason for it to become and issue with NFL quality scouts and strength and conditioning coaches.

    I do think you've stumbled on something there without meaning to- basically it's the same premise draftnik's have been putting forward with regard to Maualuga and his struggles with coverage. Do you want to pay a player, no matter how good that player is, number 2 overall money if he's not going to be on the field?

    With Raji it is a little different, though, as a Nose Tackle is imperative to ensuring that your defense comes off the field as soon as they can. I don't like him as a #2 overall candidate, but certainly I see him in the top 10 at this point in time. If we were to trade down, though it is unlikely, I'd still strongly consider him.

  9. #24
    djdeeznutz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I do think you've stumbled on something there without meaning to- basically it's the same premise draftnik's have been putting forward with regard to Maualuga and his struggles with coverage. Do you want to pay a player, no matter how good that player is, number 2 overall money if he's not going to be on the field?

    I don't like him as a #2 overall candidate, but certainly I see him in the top 10 at this point in time. If we were to trade down, though it is unlikely, I'd still strongly consider him.
    lol i wasnt talkin bout the money factor of it i was just talkin bout the high draft picks but good looks.

    anyway even if we do trade out of the #2 pick and stay in the top 10 i would take rey mauluga over BJ Raji anyday.

    Why cant we start claude wrotton and cliff ryan? Look what spags did to justin tuck. And even fred robbins for that matter. They were basically nobodys b4 spags. (fred robbins is still kinda a nobody but he turned into a good DT).

    N i read this earlier i dont know if it was from here or online but people are talking about moving Carriker back outside. I dont see that happening this year. Little is our only speed pass rusher and last year he lead the team in sacks. James Hall was 2nd so if Little goes down i dont see Carriker moving back to DE.

    Last year Cliff Ryan had better #'s than Carriker:

    Adam Carriker: 23 tck 1assist 1fum rec

    Cliff Ryan: 31 tck 8assists 0fum rec

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Why do you keep calling him scrub? He's practically a top 15 pick. There's no reason to call him a "scrub".
    .

    Maybe hez not a scrub but i just dont want him for the reasons i listed above. But i do think at the NFL level he will become a scrub cuz HE ONLY HAD ONE GOOD YEAR NOT A GOOD NCAA CAREER!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Nick; -01-31-2009 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

  10. #25
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,531
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: What is the point to draft Raji in the 1st round?

    Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    i remember this guy got suspended for half a game for punching an opponet. in the NFl the kid going to get a fine and a suspensions so there is alot of maturity issues. (Compare him to pacman jones)
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    anyway even if we do trade out of the #2 pick and stay in the top 10 i would take rey mauluga over BJ Raji anyday.
    Strange. You're down on Raji because of maturity and how he was ejected from a game for throwing a punch, but then say you'd take Maualuga?

    You realize Maualuga had repeatedly had problems with fights and alcohol at USC, right? That Maualuga was arrested for misdemeanor battery in 2005 for punching a student, right?

    If one of the reasons you don't want Raji is because of maturity, I don't see any logic in then turning around and saying you'd take Maualuga.

  11. #26
    djdeeznutz Guest

    Re: What is the point to draft Raji in the 1st round?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Strange. You're down on Raji because of maturity and how he was ejected from a game for throwing a punch, but then say you'd take Maualuga?

    You realize Maualuga had repeatedly had problems with fights and alcohol at USC, right? That Maualuga was arrested for misdemeanor battery in 2005 for punching a student, right?

    If one of the reasons you don't want Raji is because of maturity, I don't see any logic in then turning around and saying you'd take Maualuga.
    ohhhhhhh

    i didn know that about him

    But why isnt anyone talking about Cliff Ryan. Lets see what he could do as full season starter (or Wrotton if he not suspended)

  12. #27
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,531
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: What is the point to draft Raji in the 1st round?

    Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    But why isnt anyone talking about Cliff Ryan. Lets see what he could do as full season starter (or Wrotton if he not suspended)
    Ryan saw a significant improvement in playing time this year, starting 12 games. Yet our run defense was worse this year than the last two. I like Ryan, but I don't think he's proven he's the answer as a starting NT at this point.

    Wroten shouldn't even be on this team when it's all said and done, so I'm not factoring him in.

  13. #28
    djdeeznutz Guest

    Re: What is the point to draft Raji in the 1st round?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Ryan saw a significant improvement in playing time this year, starting 12 games. Yet our run defense was worse this year than the last two. I like Ryan, but I don't think he's proven he's the answer as a starting NT at this point.

    Wroten shouldn't even be on this team when it's all said and done, so I'm not factoring him in.
    No what im trying to say is Last year Spagnuolo was with the Giants and he made Justin Tuck who he is and he made Fred Robbins more physical. So with a bit more guidence maybe Ryan could become a good D-Lineman.

    We all expect Carriker and Long to excel in spags system then one of them is going to draw a double team so cliff Ryan and Little could both have phenominal seasons.

  14. #29
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,531
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: What is the point to draft Raji in the 1st round?

    Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    No what im trying to say is Last year Spagnuolo was with the Giants and he made Justin Tuck who he is and he made Fred Robbins more physical. So with a bit more guidence maybe Ryan could become a good D-Lineman.

    We all expect Carriker and Long to excel in spags system then one of them is going to draw a double team so cliff Ryan and Little could both have phenominal seasons.
    Which is why I would certainly keep Ryan in the mix, but we need more than one NT, especially if Carriker is going to shift full time to UT. And again, I don't think Ryan's done anything so far to lock down that job.

    A better comparison for what Ryan could be is Barry Cofield, as I believe he is the NT on the Giants. I don't think Spags has turned any of the true DTs on the Giants' roster into monsters, though. Tuck is a DE who occasionally shifted inside, not a true DT. Robbins' numbers in '04 and '06 before Spags are comparable to his numbers with Spags. So I'm not sure I'd suddenly expect Ryan @ NT to explode. A full time move to UT should help Carriker improve as an interior pass rusher in Spags' system.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-01-2009 at 01:57 AM.

  15. #30
    djdeeznutz Guest

    Re: What is the point to draft Raji in the 1st round?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And again, I don't think Ryan's done anything so far to lock down that job.
    He probably does not have the spot locked down but are u trying to say that we should not draft Curry, Crabtree, or an OT to get BJ Raji.

    We might get a NT in the draft somewhere but it wont be until the late rounds so whoever we draft will not start (will be used for substitution)

    Now Free agents:

    the best DT are:

    Scout.com: 2009 NFL Free Agency DT Rankings

    the only really good one that popps out at you is Haynsworth and he will be way way too expensive and the titans will sign him!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Nick's Mailbag:April 23
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -04-24-2008, 02:02 PM
  2. Jim Thomas Live Tuesday, January 15
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -01-17-2008, 03:29 PM
  3. 3 Round Fantasy Mock Draft [NFL.com]
    By evil disco man in forum FANTASY
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -11-27-2007, 10:18 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: -03-28-2007, 04:24 PM
  5. NFL Draft Countdown's Nov. 11 Mock Draft
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -11-15-2005, 07:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •