View Poll Results: First Pick Should Be A...

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • LB

6 37.50%
  • OT

3 18.75%
  • OG

1 6.25%
  • DE

0 0%
  • CB

0 0%
  • FS

1 6.25%
  • Best Player Available

5 31.25%
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

What Position Should Rams Look To Fill First In Draft?

Hey! Its my first draft poll of the year (there will be more).

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: What Position Should Rams Look To Fill First In Draft?

I would love to see an immediate starting OT fall to the 26th spot, but I don't see it happening. However, there will be a starting LB there for the taking.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think Texas A&M Corpus Christi had a better secondary than we had last year.

We had better get the defense shored up also or it will be a long year playing our schedule.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I voted for the "best player available" with the caveat that it would be the best Defensive player available. Selecting the best player on the board at your spot is always the best strategy. If you are tempted to reach for a player, never do it in the first round.

WHAT SAY YE?

elAcky Guest

that might be a DT - no thanks

elAcky Guest

i don't agree with the strategy of getting the best player available unless you have needs at every position i.e. an expansion team. Teams should really be drafting for need. I would take it one step further and say that we should even reach in the 1st round to assure ourselves of success i.e. no more raw talent wastage

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I would love to see an immediate starting OT fall to the 26th spot, but I don't see it happening. However, there will be a starting LB there for the taking.
    That is why I picked LB. However, we may be better served looking for that impact LB in free agency. There definitely is a case to be made that we need more than one LB. But, I think we have more pressing needs in the OL, secondary and special teams to address first.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

My thoughts...

-OG: This is where I'm starting to think we should go. Elton Brown and David Baas could both go anywhere from the latter half of the first round to the very early second, in my opinion. With pick #26, I'd love to grab Baas here and shore up the interior of the offensive line. Yes, we have guys like Tercero and Turner who have shown potential, but I think we need to spend a first round pick on an offensive guard and get some superior natural talent in there. The problem is, I don't see the Rams doing this. But if it were up to me, I probably would.

-CB: I'd rank this second in terms of both a position of need and a position where we can get good value at our place on the board. There are arguably five or six first round cornerbacks, and I think we'll have a chance to make a play at one at the 26th pick. Rolle is a top ten pick while Pacman Jones and Marlin Jackson will be gone within the top 20, IMO. That leaves players like Justin Miller, Carlos Rogers, and Brandon Browner as corners I'd grade as first round players. I'd be happy with Miller or Rogers, but I'm not sold on Browner yet.

-OT: The top 2-3 tackles will definitely be off the board by this time, and I'm not sure I see a tackle outside of Barron and Brown that I strongly feel is a lock in the first round. And there's absolutely no chance either fall to the Rams now that they're down to 26th. Both will be gone by the time the top 15 have selected, and I'm not confident that Adam Terry is a first round lock at this point.

-LB: By the 26th pick, we'll probably be dealing with Burnett if we're lucky, but perhaps Michael Boley or Rian Wallace, whom I wouldn't take in the first round. I think we need a strong middle linebacker more than we do an outside linebacker at this point, and I think that can be addressed in free agency better than in this draft, where I'm not especially impressed with this class of inside linebackers. However, I think we could nab one in the later rounds if we really wanted to add more youth.

-DE: We don't know what's going to happen with Leonard Little. Anthony Hargrove has shown some potential, but I don't know if he's shown enough for me to scratch this off the list of positions that should be addressed. A lot of this is going to depend on Little and Bryce Fisher. If Little is acquitted of his charges, or if we can retain Fisher, then this isn't something we should be addressing on Day One. Otherwise, we may want to be looking at a Day One pick here.

-FS: The free safety class this year is rather weak, in my opinion. I believe most of the top safeties in this class project to be better strong safeties than free safeties (Thomas Davis, Ernest Shazor, Donte Nicholson). The best free safety in this draft is probably Brodney Pool, but I'm not sure I'd spend a first round pick on him - basically, I don't believe there's a free safety in this class worth spending a first round pick on, in light of our other needs.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I think we gotta look for help at LB first. We need to pick one up from free agency, then draft another.

Tinoisamoa - Hartwell - Burnett anybody?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I wouldn't cry any tears over that, if Burnett falls to the late first round.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

The first round is generally a best available position. However, I have been screaming for O-line help for the past 4 years!
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

rampete is offline Registered User

generally i subscribe to the notion of picking the "best available player"...picking a player based on immediate need is like the sam bowie over jordan pick in the 80's nba draft...washington picked bowie, a center, over jordan because they felt the biggest need was at the center position...yikes...

if anyone can clarify the position at which the rams pick in the up coming draft, i'd appreciate it...some have us going at 26 while others at 19...thanks in advance...

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

I am tired of this patchwork OL.The building blocks of a great team start on the OL 1st then the DL ,but the ability to hang on to great players in the cap kind of throse a monkey wrench in any strategy,but I still believe front lines 1st.Ask Patton.

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    generally i subscribe to the notion of picking the "best available player"...picking a player based on immediate need is like the sam bowie over jordan pick in the 80's nba draft...washington picked bowie, a center, over jordan because they felt the biggest need was at the center position...yikes...
    Man, rampete...talk about kicking a guy while he's down! Actually, it was the Portland Jailbirds...or uh, the Trailblazers that passed on Jordon for Bowie. That's our local team and we have been scratching our head and kicking the TV for years because of that decision.

That is a great point that you make...and yes, if there was such an impact player on the board when we make our selection I think we'd have to give it serious consideration. But, I believe that pick was, uh number 1, not 26, which is where I think we are ( not sure on that).

Still, I think this year may be an exception to the "rule" of picking the best player available because our needs are so glaring. :disappoin

rampete is offline Registered User

sorry 'bout that viper...no harm intended...LOL

portland, not washington...thanks for the correction...

i believe the rams pick 19th in the upcoming draft...we'll have to wait and see what the senior bowl and combines do to influence the value board of other teams, which may dictate who is available for the rams...