Country Guest

What the Rams should do [impact player]

What the Rams should do is go get an impact player in the 1st round and since the draft is not deep they should move on up and get the player at a position of need.

Trade

The St. Louis Rams trade 1[13] and 2[52] to the Washington Redskins for 1[6].

The St. Louis Rams trade CB Jemetrius Butler to the Indianapolis Colts for 5[189].

Draft

1[6] DT Amobi Okoye [Louisville]

There have been a number of reports that this draft is not very deep and that there are only 15-18 first round talents. With this thinking the Rams will be able to get one of these players, but will it be in a position of need. The Rams have made enough moves in the last few weeks, and have had enough picks in the last two drafts, to allow themselves to make a move for a true first round talent at a position of need. Amobi Okoye has very few weaknesses and more upside then almost anyone in the draft and at 19 his ceiling is very high. Okoye might not have the prototype size to play the NT right away but he could easily bulk up and anchor that spot.

Okoye is one of the top 6 players in this draft and the Rams are lacking true impact players, not young depth.

3[84] DE Baraka Atkins [Miami]

Atkins has good size [6’4” 271lbs.] and great speed [4.69/40] for a DE and would upgrade the Rams pass rush. Atkins also has played every spot on the DL at a school that has produced some very good prospects.

Atkins brings an added boost to the pass rush, but is also a complete end.

4. RB Kolby Smith [Louisville]

Smith reminds me a lot of Ladell Betts who has flourished as Washington’s second back. He is powerfully built and hits the hole with a nice burst. Smith also caught the ball well at the senior bowl.

Smith is a nice complimentary back with good pop and power.

5. LB Prescott Burgess [Michigan]

Good size and cover ability.

6. CB/S C.J Gaddis [Clemson]

Gaddis fills the void at CB where he has great size [6’1 205lbs] and at S where he has great speed [4.45/ 40]

7. OT Stephon Heyer [Maryland]

A massive prospect [6’6” ½ 334lbs.] with size that you cannot teach. He would need to be developed but he is young and powerful and brings youth to the OT spot.

7. DE Larry Birdine [OU]

Birdine is a good prospect that was ranked much higher before injuries sidetracked his career.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: What the Rams should do [impact player]

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    What the Rams should do is go get an impact player in the 1st round and since the draft is not deep they should move on up and get the player at a position of need.

I will re-post my response to your desire for the Rams to move up:

Right now no one knows for sure which defensive player will have the greatest impact. Tank Tyler could end up being the best DT in the draft -- no one knows. If you could get the same type of guarantee on players drafted in the top ten in rd 1 as one gets when buying a car battery -- fine. Since that's impossible, why would we want to move up when we still have a great chance at the 13 spot to land an impact player? If anything I would rather see us trade down if the opportunity presented itself ... Drafting Okoye at #6 is just as big a risk as selecting Branch (or any other player) at the 13 spot. Chris Jenkins I believe was selected with a #2 pick. If we are to give up a #2 pick -- let it be for a known commodity (Jenkins for example) rather than a crapshoot ...

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

So Okoye is a guarantee.

Can you prove it or is this an educated guess.......

Some of us thought Kennedy would develop into a "impact player"... So far we've been wrong.......

Moving up in the 1st does not guarantee anything. Let me give you some examples....

Giants move up to acquire Eli Manning pass up on some guy whats his name the Chargers QB????? LOL

Good Move or Bad Move

Falcons move up to acquire M. Vick and the Charges pick up Brees and LT....

I'm sure some recent trades have worked out this just proves that moving up does not guarantee you get better talent.....

Country Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    So Okoye is a guarantee.

Can you prove it or is this an educated guess.......

Some of us thought Kennedy would develop into a "impact player"... So far we've been wrong.......

Moving up in the 1st does not guarantee anything. Let me give you some examples....

Giants move up to acquire Eli Manning pass up on some guy whats his name the Chargers QB????? LOL

Good Move or Bad Move

Falcons move up to acquire M. Vick and the Charges pick up Brees and LT....

I'm sure some recent trades have worked out this just proves that moving up does not guarantee you get better talent.....
    Moving up is a risk and nothing in the draft is a for sure, but Okoye is worth more to the Rams then Carriker [1st] and whoever they pick in the 2nd.

Okoye has the potential, and I don't know if anyone can deny that he has the potential, to be a truly great player, thus manking him worth the risk.

Kennedy never had the potential that Okoye has.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    Moving up is a risk and nothing in the draft is a for sure, but Okoye is worth more to the Rams then Carriker [1st] and whoever they pick in the 2nd.

Okoye has the potential, and I don't know if anyone can deny that he has the potential, to be a truly great player, thus manking him worth the risk.

Kennedy never had the potential that Okoye has.
    Country your getting too caught up in the so called "potential"

Of course people are going to say he has more potential than any other player in the draft due to his age.

He's only 19 y/old....

Alot of people felt that Kennedy was a steal where we got him and,yes, they felt he had alot of POTENTIAL.....

I say moving up equals more risk and the potential as far as I am concern remains the same unless your looking for a WR.....

Okoye may be there at 13..........