Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

Re: What receiver do you guys think will be brought in once Holt is gone....

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Theres alot of talk on here about old pretty much washed up character guys. Just be prepaired once Holt leaves our receiver corps won't be able to compete next season. They are gonna be a joke. We are gonna have to the run the ball. There's just no other way....
    I think it will be pretty comparable to the Dolphins' WRs last year. Avery is better than Ginn and although Burton isn't quite Greg Camarillo, he could come close. McMichael when healthy is just as good as Fasano too.

And if they went 11-5 with those receivers I think that if we struggle again next year it won't be because of Avery, Burton, and McMichael.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

We need another receiver here to help continue the growth of Avery and Burton.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

If the Detroit Lions choose Curry with their first selection, i see the St. Louis Rams taking Michael Crabtree with the second choice, and going OT with the first choice in the draft is not all we have to do, we can get a LT in the second round to play RT as Alex Barron is already playing LT.

So saying we have to go OT with the first pick is not the only option

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

With the additions of Brown and Karney, I cannot see the Ram's doing much at WR. It seems that they are going to build a running game; much like the giants, with big physical OL and a run blocking FB (the Ram's old FB when Jackson put up his best numbers). I don't really think that it is a good idea to draft a OT at #2 but I doubt they will draft any other offensive player. If it is not a OT then it will be defense. For what it's worth, I hope the Rams somehow draft Cornelius Ingram from Florida. He was hurt last year but I saw this guy play and he is a stud, and since he was hurt last year the rams can get him in the later rounds. That is how I hope the Ram's address the WR position, with an athletic TE that can strech the field with a 4.6 40 yd. A nice play action option with power running attack. Won't happen but that is what I hope, any thoughts?
    Last edited by Dave2oo2; -03-12-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I don't want the Rams to bring in any old high priced freeagents. I would rather the Rams take a WR in the draft.
    Round 2: K. Britt or B. Robiski
    Round 3: J. Iglesias or R. Barton

Rambos is offline Registered User

Shooting took place around this time.
    May 5, 2008 ... Colts wide receiver Marvin Harrison is under investigation in a shooting

RebelYell is offline Registered User

JMO but this WR squad needs a veteran with experience. Toomer fits that mold. Harrison isn't going to go to a team and work for pennies - he'll retire instead of being humiliated like that. I agree they'll bring in another rookie but you can't count on a 3rd or 4th rounder to make a significant contribution.

I only say Toomer because you could structure his contract for basically one year. That's what they need.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ramone View Post
    We should bring none. In fact, I think that we should keep Torry, of course, if he wants to stay.
    Torry asking for his release kind of squashes that one, wouldn't you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramone View Post
    Another option, more serious, is to draft somebody in third, perhaps, but does anyone here believe that some of those guys can replace Holt, not next season than in a million years.
    The idea of the draft isn't just to replace someone for next year, but for the long-term future. You draft a rookie hoping he contributes here for many years, which Holt won't even if somehow he stayed this season. It's pretty clear the Rams aren't the only party right now who want to part ways.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    JMO but this WR squad needs a veteran with experience.
    I agree, but the market was sparse at receiver back when free agency started. It ain't lookin' too hot right now, two weeks into it...

Ramone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The idea of the draft isn't just to replace someone for next year, but for the long-term future. You draft a rookie hoping he contributes here for many years, which Holt won't even if somehow he stayed this season. It's pretty clear the Rams aren't the only party right now who want to part ways.

It is true, but if you want a contributor for many years, than you shouldn't look further than second round and we can not afford that. If we look at receivers picked up after 2nd, during the last decade, we won't find much real contributors. Not even one per draft. The most of them are already forgotten. Again, if we consider players like Gage or Wade, as contributors, that's another thing. What brings me, one more time, to my old wound called Kevin Curtis. We found that player and we get rid of him. Even than, I remember, lots of people were saying that for two years he'll be 30. Yeah and for 20 more, he'll be 50!

9 of the 21 1,000 yard wide receivers this season were 3rd round picks or later...and that is without Colston and Housh (7th round picks) who are usually in the 1,000 yard club

Ramone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by iStillBelieve View Post
    9 of the 21 1,000 yard wide receivers this season were 3rd round picks or later...and that is without Colston and Housh (7th round picks) who are usually in the 1,000 yard club
    Actually, there were 4 (Smith, Marshall, Welker and Breaston) of them, not 9. When I said last decade, I thought on 2000's drafts, those after we picked Holt. However, when we look at the list of top receivers for the last season, there are names like Owens, Moss, Ward, Mason or Driver who proves that years are not problem for receivers to contribute constantly. Torry had one year bellow 1000 (after 8 in the row) and he was immediately, obviously and unconditionally slowing down. Age, I guess. When we check other big names, like Owens, Moss or Ward, they also had these kind of years. If he got what he wanted by this releasing, than OK, but that is not what bothers me. I had an impression that lots of us really think that he is washed up and that we should move further, doesn't matter about his wishes. I agree that cap room is serious problem to think about, but not age. At least, receivers proved opposite! Maybe I am too shocked what I won't see Torry wearing my colors, but you got to understand this. As a fan, I was formed on football (soccer) kop and in our 'world' we don't accept trades, releasing or moving further from our icons.
    But, OK, now when he's gone, this story is over and we should see what to do next. With present receiving corp, it would be hard to compete, so we have to upgrade. How, I have no answer, but I trust our FO.

My bad, I missed the "during the last decade" part

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12