throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mooselini Guest

What SHOULD we do with our 1st draft pick?

Should we get Dorsey or Long (whichever the Phins dont pick)?
    Should we get McFadden? (I dont like this idea at all, but it seems some do)
    Should we trade our pick? (If so for what draft position)

These questions have been bugging me for a while. I dont want us to screw up this draft. We had a really good 1st pick last year. He made starter his rookie year...I'm sure we can find another skilled talent in Dorsey or Long.

I read that some people are interested in McFadden because Jackson's contract is up. I'm sorry, but I would have Jackson over McFadden as of now. Reggie Bush isn't as explosive as he was in college, so what makes anyone think McFadden would be?

However, I know there are teams eager enough to trade down to get McFadden...but who? I know we can still get talent down the draft seeming that some of the better players come later in the draft.

I still want to see us use our first pick wisely. I think drafting Long or Dorsey is our best option....

What do you think?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: What SHOULD we do with our 1st draft pick?

I'm sorry, but I would have Jackson over McFadden as of now.
    I agree, but the assumption is the Jackson resigns. IMO, he won't. I hope I'm wrong.

Assuming Jackson DOES resign, the Rams should take either Long or Dorsey.....whoever the fins don't take.

However, that's a boring option. So just for fun, I'd trade the #2 pick to the Patriots for the #7 and '08 2nd AND '09 1st and 2nd. Then our draft plays out like this....

1st (#7) - Vernon Gholston, DE, OSU
    2nd (#33) - Gosder Cherilus, OT, BC
    2nd (#63) - Harry Douglas, WR, UL

1st (Rams) - Michael Crabtree, WR, TT
    1st (Pats) - Sean Lee, OLB, PSU
    2nd (Ram) - Chase Daniel, QB, Mizzou
    2nd (Pats) - Kevin Ellison, SS, USC

That's what we ought to do.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

We shouldn't trade our pick at all. If we make any trade, it should be to trade Jackson and receive another one or two high selections and get McFadden.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    We shouldn't trade our pick at all. If we make any trade, it should be to trade Jackson and receive another one or two high selections and get McFadden.
    Even IF we're capable of re-signing Jackson?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I don't think we are capable....or the Rams would have done it by now.

I don't think we are capable....or the Rams would have done it by now.
    Who could blame him?

rampete Guest

sounds good to me...but who'd be willing to trade for a guy in his last year of contract,
    unless it's a sign and trade deal...to whom though?

dallas has two 1st round picks...and they need a jackson-caliber rb to make their offense
    complete... and last i heard, jackson and his fathers' favourite team growing up was the
    cowboys... hmmm...

seattle, houston and the jets are other teams looking to upgrade the rb position, imo...
    houston picks #18 and needs a star rb to take over the failed attempt with ahmad green...
    the jets desperately needs one to compete with the pats in their division but i don't know
    if they'd part with the #6 pick for jackson...we can take seattle out of the equation...
    Last edited by rampete; -01-08-2008 at 06:52 PM.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampete View Post
    sounds good to me...but who'd be willing to trade for a guy in his last year of contract,
    unless it's a sign and trade deal...to whom though?

dallas has two 1st round picks...and they need a jackson-caliber rb to make their offense
    complete... and last i heard, jackson and his fathers' favourite team growing up was the
    cowboys... hmmm...

seattle, houston and the jets are other teams looking to upgrade the rb position, imo...
    houston picks #18 and needs a star rb to take over the failed attempt with ahmad green...
    the jets desperately needs one to compete with the pats in their division but i don't know
    if they'd part with the #6 pick for jackson...we can take seattle out of the equation...
    This whole trade Jackson scenario is driving me crazy. Why trade one of the best rb's in the game? So lets say Jackson doesnt want to sign, he will be franchised. Then if someone want him it will cost them 2 first rounders anyway. Also trading Jackson and drafting Mcfadden does not improve this team for next year at all. Let's not get carried away with trading Jax to anyone. Every player in the NFL grew up liking some other team that doesnt mean they will bail out just for that reason. I would rather keep Jax and improve this team by drafting a player we need. I don't want Jake Long or Mcfadden on this team. Kenny Phillips,Gholston,Chris Long,Dorsey are all possibilities. If we trade down and stock pile some other picks like I've said before I would love to get Kenny Phillips. I just have a feeling that guy is going to be a great safety. Either way I dont want to see this team take Mcfadden or Jake the mistake Long.
    Just Fix It

LARAM is offline Registered User

Didn't Steven Jackson go down with a back injury (bulged disc) this year. He was out a couple of games. These type of injuries are pretty common these days, and medical technology has improved a great deal in the last 10 years.

But does anyone have any idea about these injuries. I have a completely blown disc in my back, total rupture of my L5, which is pretty common for back injuries. If he has sustained this kind of injury, he may be on the downside of his career anyway. All it takes is one more bad hit or twist and he his done. Remember Kyle Turley......same injury if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of trading a healthy Steven Jackson, but a Steven Jackson, with a bum back is a different story. Especially in a big contract year...............Any thoughts

Mooselini Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LARAM View Post
    Didn't Steven Jackson go down with a back injury (bulged disc) this year. He was out a couple of games. These type of injuries are pretty common these days, and medical technology has improved a great deal in the last 10 years.

But does anyone have any idea about these injuries. I have a completely blown disc in my back, total rupture of my L5, which is pretty common for back injuries. If he has sustained this kind of injury, he may be on the downside of his career anyway. All it takes is one more bad hit or twist and he his done. Remember Kyle Turley......same injury if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of trading a healthy Steven Jackson, but a Steven Jackson, with a bum back is a different story. Especially in a big contract year...............Any thoughts

Dont trade him. He's been a great player to this squad this year. Injuries usually cannot be prevented since it is a big part of the game. HOWEVER, if a player stays healthy, he could do wonders. Like Jackson for example. Most of the games he played, he usually made a few key plays.

Dont trade him, lets focus on our needs. Which is DEFENSE first. We've been known for having one of the worst defenses in the league, time to flip that around. and our OLine scenario. we could get a few key players in free agency

I don't think Jackson would be a RFA, he'd be an UFA.

By the way, we traded someone named Dickerson in our past so don't be shocked if Jackson is traded.

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    This whole trade Jackson scenario is driving me crazy. Why trade one of the best rb's in the game? So lets say Jackson doesnt want to sign, he will be franchised. Then if someone want him it will cost them 2 first rounders anyway. Also trading Jackson and drafting Mcfadden does not improve this team for next year at all. Let's not get carried away with trading Jax to anyone. Every player in the NFL grew up liking some other team that doesnt mean they will bail out just for that reason.
    First and foremost, I want to see Jackson re-signed and the #2 used on either Long or Dorsey.

As I'm predicting there will be at least one future post that says, "Why does everyone want to trade Jackson?", let me repeat my position.....

First and foremost, I want to see Jackson re-signed and the #2 used on either Long or Dorsey.

However, having said that, if the FO feels they can't get Jackson re-signed, then trading him is not that bad an option. If there's a team out there who feels they can sign him long term, they'll give up a 1st for him. That way, we get both a franchise back in McFadden, and an immediate starter with the traded pick.

And I agree, Jackson wouldn't bail out just because he grew up the fan of another team.........but there are plenty of other reasons why he would bail out of this organization. He will command top dollar next year which the Rams may not be able to pay, and to get away from all the dysfunction this team has to offer, he may even take less. You could franchise him, but that creates a huge cap hit, and rarely ends in a long-term deal. Pace had to fire his agents before it happened, and even that took several years.

I don't want to see it either, but if he can't be re-signed, it may be the best for the organization.

harrydog is offline Registered User

The bulging disc has me concerned. That's not a typical football injury that will heal completely. He's likely to continue having back problems from here on out.

thoey is offline Registered User

I say we trade SJ and our first round pick for the Patriots OLine.

<kidding>

I think we should sit down with SJ (hell, all of the key players), explain to them the situation (Georgia, coaching staff, etc), and promise them that there will be change and change for the good of the team, once it can be made (post funeral). Try to convince them that things will get better and how he (they) are an important part of that change. Then, make him a GOOD offer. If he takes it, great. If he declines trade him for picks.
    This space for rent...

Mooselini Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    I say we trade SJ and our first round pick for the Patriots OLine.

<kidding>

I think we should sit down with SJ (hell, all of the key players), explain to them the situation (Georgia, coaching staff, etc), and promise them that there will be change and change for the good of the team, once it can be made (post funeral). Try to convince them that things will get better and how he (they) are an important part of that change. Then, make him a GOOD offer. If he takes it, great. If he declines trade him for picks.
    I think thats a good idea...but is our front office that smart?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast