throwback week

BarronWade is offline Registered User

What type of interior lineman are the Rams looking for?

We all know interior OL is a need and not just an asset. We need someone to play next to Jason Smith at RG. With Josh McDaniels as our new Offensive coordinator we are probably going to pass more than we run. However we have an elite RB in S-jax and last year our o-line did not open up many holes for him. So what type of OG do you think Spags and Billy D will look for:

Big Mauler type OG that will get a push in the run game or Pass protecting OG that will may not have size but can protect the passer?

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: What type of interior lineman are the Rams looking for?

We need a OG who can do a bit of both. Personally I would prefer a big mauler, someone who can get some push in short yardage and redzone offense, rather than a lighter, more mobile pass blocker type.
    McDaniel's prefers his lineman on the big side. In Denver he was hamstrung with the lineman he inherited from the old regime and was in the process of changing the personnel before his firing. I hope he learned a thing or two about his philosophy on offense in regards to the type of linemen to implement in his scheme because his Denver team were dead last in rushing offense at the time of his firing?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

McDaniels runs a power running scheme, but if you look at all his interior lineman all he hand picked they are all about 304 pounds and athletic. All were better pass protectors than run blockers. He has coached one big mauler and that was Logan Mankins. I think we will look for that 1 big mauler since Bell is already the finess pass blocking type he had in Denver and Jason both Jason's need to play better

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    McDaniels runs a power running scheme, but if you look at all his interior lineman all he hand picked they are all about 304 pounds and athletic. All were better pass protectors than run blockers. He has coached one big mauler and that was Logan Mankins. I think we will look for that 1 big mauler since Bell is already the finess pass blocking type he had in Denver and Jason both Jason's need to play better
    Thanks for the input 39Beast. His power running scheme did not work with the lighter, athletic types he implemented in Denver. I agree with you that he will change that philosophy now and will get a big, dirty bruiser to complement Bell as his finesse blocker. I hope so anyway thebeast. Im desperate for improved run blocking. Look what it did for us in that horrible Seattle game, not converting on those 3rd and 1's is the overriding memory I have in that game and many others where we struggled in the season.
    Bradford cannot do it by himself, it makes you one-dimensional anyways. Giving up on the run cost us the game in Seattle, not just the WR drops. All because Shurmur lost confidence in the OL's ability to run block.
    It is right up there with WR, in what areas this teams need to address before the next season.
    GO RAMS

TekeRam is offline Registered User

It's this reason why I still think we're more than one offseason away from truly being competitive. We need help on the o line, linebackers, secondary, wide receiver, and depth everywhere. If the line hadn't been healthy all year, we would have been in major trouble. I'm hoping that Greco can magically put it together this offseason, but otherwise, I think we need offensive line help more than receiver, if only to keep us balanced. At 14 we don't go after a guard, but if we traded down into the mid 20's? I'd jump on Pouncey in a second.

This is where not having free agency will hurt us, because we have so many holes that need to be filled, and no chance to fill them but in the draft. Unfortunately, I think the line will end up getting overlooked, just because we could go Jones at 14, and then NEED to go defense in round 2 with needs at LB and Safety glaring at us. I really hope we get a CBA soon, because we need a couple good FA pickups.
    I believe!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Don't you mean that you would pounce on Pouncey? lol