mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

What we don't need on day one

The way we are playing right now and with our improve offensive line play it looks like one or two impact players could get us deep in the weak nfc playoffs. We definetly still have alot of holes though. So this to me is what we don't and do need.
    Don't need
    Wr- Even if Curtis does leave we don't need to spend a day one pick on this position
    QB- Bulger(enough said) and Ferotte is a good backup. Plus Fitz is our young guy.
    HB- Jackson is a stud. Would probably draft a backup in the later rounds. Couldn't see Davis carrying load if Stephen was injured.
    Ol- We are probably set at the tackles and you don't draft interior lineman that early. Especially with all the young players we have.
    CB- Fakhir, Hill and Bartell( who is really coming on) are developing into a solid unit. Best thing that happened this year was Fischer injury.
    OLB- We do need one but I would prefer to address MLB and move Spoon back outside.
    Te- Went there last year.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: What we don't need on day one

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    Wr- Even if Curtis does leave we don't need to spend a day one pick on this position
    Ol- We are probably set at the tackles and you don't draft interior lineman that early. Especially with all the young players we have.
    OLB- We do need one but I would prefer to address MLB and move Spoon back outside.
    Alrighty- Mcdonald is a FA at the end of the year, too and if the both leave, you'd better believe we'll take a WR day one. Our 2 top guys are 30+ and will slow down one of these days. Look for a Guy like Steve Smith from USC in R3. If he declares and is availalable Ginn Jr or Dwayne Jarrett may be a R1 possiblity if we pick up some quality FA's and Branch, Moses and Adams and Pitcock (maybe Okam too) are gone.

#2. Shawn Andrews is a top flight RG for the Eagles, and was taken in the 10-20 range. I think he was pick 14. lots of quality interior linemen are R1 prespects. This year, look for Justin Blalock, the road grader out of Texas, or Josh Beekman from Boston in mid to late R1, around pick 20.

#3. Brandon Chillar and Ronall Smith are Both FA's this season, and has been injured practically the whole year. Spoon has been fantastic as MLB. How do none of these factors represent a legitimate R1 concern? Look for Paul Posluszny when we pick. He's one of the best ever from Penn St, otherwise known as Linebacker U.

Country is offline Registered User

Positions we don't need on day 1.

QB
    RB
    WR
    TE
    OT

CB

Why waste a pick on an og when we have two young talented guards. Witherspoon has not been fantastic at mlb he has been above average. Plus, why can't we resign McDonald. To me if you think those are more pressing needs than mlb, dline or safety you haven't been paying much attention this season.

Plus where are all these great linebackers from Penn St. I don't care if it is called linebacker u. I don't see one outstanding linebacker that has came from there in the last ten years.
    Last edited by Nick; -12-26-2006 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Use EDIT feature instead of making back to back posts

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Plus where are all these great linebackers from Penn St. I don't care if it is called linebacker u. I don't see one outstanding linebacker that has came from there in the last ten years.
    ..um, how about Lavar Arrington?? ...er.. on second thought!!!

WHAT SAY YE?

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Alrighty- Mcdonald is a FA at the end of the year, too and if the both leave, you'd better believe we'll take a WR day one. Our 2 top guys are 30+ and will slow down one of these days. Look for a Guy like Steve Smith from USC in R3. If he declares and is availalable Ginn Jr or Dwayne Jarrett may be a R1 possiblity if we pick up some quality FA's and Branch, Moses and Adams and Pitcock (maybe Okam too) are gone.

#2. Shawn Andrews is a top flight RG for the Eagles, and was taken in the 10-20 range. I think he was pick 14. lots of quality interior linemen are R1 prespects. This year, look for Justin Blalock, the road grader out of Texas, or Josh Beekman from Boston in mid to late R1, around pick 20.

#3. Brandon Chillar and Ronall Smith are Both FA's this season, and has been injured practically the whole year. Spoon has been fantastic as MLB. How do none of these factors represent a legitimate R1 concern? Look for Paul Posluszny when we pick. He's one of the best ever from Penn St, otherwise known as Linebacker U.
    Ok you have some major issues with what your saying.

#1 You don't take a WR round 1 this year. That's just suicide. With all the problems we have had with our defense do you honestly think that we would go out and waste a first round pick on a wr. We are the denver of wr's. (for those of you who don't understand, denver can take any running back and turn it into a star player. The rams can do the same thing with wide receiver.) Taking a wr day one is the worst idea i've ever heard.

#2 It's a possibility but highly unlikely. For reasons look above.

#3 We have no need for brandon chillar after this year as a starter. Quality back-up, but we won't need him for a starting position. If we shift witherspoon over to the strong side, and draft a MLB or sign one then we will be all set for starters. Drafting an OLB is insane when our MLB is too small for the job.

Thank you Dr. Defense and I am still waiting for this great linebacker who has come out of Linbacker U recently.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The term comes from the 70's when PSU would send their entire starting LB corp to the NFL year after year. The well has been rather dry as of late, but the reference in this case is probably related to a statement in which Jack Ham called the Puz, one of the best LBs to ever come out of PSU. A high honor indeed. But regardless of where he went to school Puz is a legitimate pick assuming where in the middle of the draft.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

MC Pee Pants? Um.... okay.

I think the Rams could and probably should avoid taking an offensive player on day 1, unless its an OG or C in Round 3.

Yeah the name is from a cartoon. About Puz, he is not a natural mlb as he played outside every until this one. I just would love to see us acquire a true run stuffing mlb. Not just outside players who are moved to the inside. I would love for us to resign London. I know that he is old but this was probably the best year of his career and I'm sure he won't get more than a 3 year deal and even if he does it's not like we couldn't cut him if he is unproductive. Just make the contract front loaded.

Yeah the name is from a cartoon. About Puz, he is not a natural mlb as he played outside every until this one. I just would love to see us acquire a true run stuffing mlb. Not just outside players who are moved to the inside. I would love for us to resign London. I know that he is old but this was probably the best year of his career and I'm sure he won't get more than a 3 year deal and even if he does it's not like we couldn't cut him if he is unproductive. Just make the contract front loaded.
    I've got no problem with what you're saying, but if we did take Puz in the first, I doubt it would be to move him inside. If he were the first pick, my guess is Spoon stays inside and Puz stays outside, probably SLB.

If Haslett is set on moving Spoon outside, my first thought (assuming a viable FA option like Fletcher is not available) would be to go with Willis in the first round. A solid MLB with a frame that could hold a little more weight.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    If Haslett is set on moving Spoon outside, my first thought (assuming a viable FA option like Fletcher is not available) would be to go with Willis in the first round. A solid MLB with a frame that could hold a little more weight.
    Whether the Rams are looking for a MLB or a SLB, Willis fits either role better than Poz does in my opinion. Poz can play MLB in the right situation, but I'm not entirely convinced about his fit on the strong side. With all that considered, Willis has to be the first LB on our board. He is on mine, at least.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Whether the Rams are looking for a MLB or a SLB, Willis fits either role better than Poz does in my opinion. Poz can play MLB in the right situation, but I'm not entirely convinced about his fit on the strong side. With all that considered, Willis has to be the first LB on our board. He is on mine, at least.
    I'd feel good about Willis or Poz either way. And I may be wrong, but unless something happens between now and April (which it usually does), I believe both will be available when we draft. It's a slightly off year for LBs, but we could be taking the best in the field.