Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick

Thread: What we need, and where to shop (midseason edition).

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What we need, and where to shop (midseason edition).

Here is how I view the Rams' needs, and where they should go shopping:

Quarterback

What we need:
    A better No. 2 QB who could handle the starting role in the event of a long term injury.
    Where to shop: Rounds 2-4 of the draft; FA market

Running Back

What we need:
    A power back to provide depth behind Zac Stacy.
    Where to shop: Rounds 4-7 of the draft

Wide Receiver

What we need: A true, game-changing No. 1 WR, or nothing at all.
    Where to shop: Round 1 of the draft, or nowhere.

Tight End

What we need:
    A situational blocking TE.
    Where to shop: Rounds 6-7 of the draft; undrafted FAs

Offensive Guard

What we need: (i) A player who can come in and start and upgrade the OL; (ii) depth
    Where to shop: (i) Rounds 1-4 of the draft; FA market (ii) Rounds 5-7 of the draft; FA market

Center

What we need:
    A successor for Wells, unless Barrett Jones is the answer
    Where to shop: Rounds 3-6 of the draft; FA market (unless Barrett Jones is the answer)

Offensive Tackle

What we need:
    Upgrade at RT/future replacement for Jake Long
    Where to shop: Rounds 1-3 of the draft

Defensive End

What we need:
    Nothing
    Where to shop: Nowhere

Defensive Tackle

What we need:
    (i) Potentially a replacement/upgrade for Kendall Langford; (ii) depth
    Where to shop: (i) Rounds 1-2 of the draft; (ii) Rounds 5-7 of the draft

Linebacker

What we need: (i) Potentially a replacement for Jo-Lonn Dunbar; (ii) depth
    Where to shop: (i) Rounds 3-5; (ii) Rounds 6-7

Cornerback

What we need:
    Upgraded starter/No. 1 CB
    Where to shop: Rounds 1-2 of the draft; FA market

Safety

What we need:
    Starter
    Where to shop: Rounds 1-3 of the draft; FA market

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: What we need, and where to shop (midseason edition).

Quarterback

What we need: A better No. 2 QB who could handle the starting role in the event of a long term injury.

FA, don't see how a rookie can come in and play right away as a competent back up.

Running Back

What we need: A power back to provide depth behind Zac Stacy.

Whats wrong with Cunningham?

Wide Receiver

Where to shop: Round 1 of the draft, or nowhere.

This is going to be the hardest question to answer, draft another WR in round one? I need more time to think about that one.

Tight End

What we need: A situational blocking TE.

I think Cory Harkey has played very well since we went to the 12, as that blocking TE. I guess we could use another.

Offensive Guard

What we need: (i) A player who can come in and start and upgrade the OL; (ii) depth
    Where to shop: (i) Rounds 1-4 of the draft; FA market (ii) Rounds 5-7 of the draft; FA market

Center

What we need: A successor for Wells, unless Barrett Jones is the answer
    Where to shop: Rounds 3-6 of the draft; FA market (unless Barrett Jones is the answer)

Offensive Tackle

What we need: Upgrade at RT/future replacement for Jake Long

Guard is a must get where and when... if it's in round one he better be a monster. RT is a must, but I want to see what they do with Saffold first. Strange to see them rotate the tackles, I have never seen that before. Are they trying to get a good look at what they have? Center, I hope Jones comes back next year to camp and we read he's added muscle mass and is ready to go, as a guard or center. I think he is the center of the future. LT is set for awhile, it's going to be hard to spend the skins 10 ten pick on a RT, but if we do we do.

Defensive End

What we need: Nothing

Jadeveon Clowney is the only one I would take. The Giants had more then two great DE when they won the SB.

Defensive Tackle

What we need: (i) Potentially a replacement/upgrade for Kendall Langford; (ii) depth

He looked good Monday night, but he has been a disappointment.

Linebacker

I hope they resign Dunbar if they don't we have Ray Ray and Bates. Ray Ray was in early on Monday night. The first time I have seen him besides getting flagged on teams. I hope he is the replacement.

Cornerback

What we need: Upgraded starter/No. 1 CB

Round one works for me, Tru is good but not great, If we can get a stud here take him. Move Tru to slot and faze out Cort. Over paid and getting old fast.

Safety

What we need: Starter

Agree most like with the second first round pick, get the ball hawking safety that can play opposite of the hard hitting TJ.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

QB: if you want a backup QB that is any good, it's going to cost $3+ million and you'll be getting a guy who isn't good enough to start in the NFL. When he comes in, you'll have most likely one of the worst QBs in the league anyway. Is the 31st QB better than the 56th QB? Yes. Are you making the playoffs with the 31st? Exceptionally unlikely.

Matt Moore is one of the better backup QBs in the NFL and he's making $4 million per.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

My preference for a backup would be a rookie. However, I would not preclude the possibility of looking at the FA market, particularly if there is a concern that Sam might not be 100% by opening day.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quarterback

What we need: A better No. 2 QB who could handle the starting role in the event of a long term injury.

[B]
    FA, don't see how a rookie can come in and play right away as a competent back up.

I think if Fale or Carr is avaialble in RD3- we would be wise to take one

Running Back

What we need: A power back to provide depth behind Zac Stacy.

Whats wrong with Cunningham?

perhaps, but defiantely not in the 1st 3 rounds-- not a huge concern atm

Wide Receiver

Where to shop: Round 1 of the draft, or nowhere. We all know I like this

This is going to be the hardest question to answer, draft another WR in round one? I need more time to think about that one.

We havent taken a rd 1 receiver since Holt. The last batch of receivers we have taken have all been cross your fingers picks-- and only 1 has shown he can be of competant level

Tight End

What we need: A situational blocking TE.

I think Cory Harkey has played very well since we went to the 12, as that blocking TE. I guess we could use another.
    same are argument can be found here as our WRs-- many investments but no return. BTW why cant we try Jared Cook as a WR?

[Offensive Guard

Im all in on Richardson in RD1

Center

Whyd we draft Jones...? He cant win a job as of now from Dahl or Wells

Offensive Tackle

What we need: Upgrade at RT/future replacement for Jake Long

Guard is a must get where and when... if it's in round one he better be a monster. RT is a must, but I want to see what they do with Saffold first. Strange to see them rotate the tackles, I have never seen that before. Are they trying to get a good look at what they have? Center, I hope Jones comes back next year to camp and we read he's added muscle mass and is ready to go, as a guard or center. I think he is the center of the future. LT is set for awhile, it's going to be hard to spend the skins 10 ten pick on a RT, but if we do we do.

Again Im all in on Matthews here. So Either Matthews or Richarsdson RD1

Defensive End

What we need: Nothing

Jadeveon Clowney is the only one I would take. The Giants had more then two great DE when they won the SB.

Defensive Tackle

What we need: (i) Potentially a replacement/upgrade for Kendall Langford; (ii) depth

He looked good Monday night, but he has been a disappointment.
    Im mixed here-- How do we STILL have so many needs is beyond me-- but this priority is lower than safety IMO

Linebacker

I hope they resign Dunbar if they don't we have Ray Ray and Bates. Ray Ray was in early on Monday night. The first time I have seen him besides getting flagged on teams. I hope he is the replacement.

Well if they pull the trigger they guy better be lights out- as Safety is a larger concern IMO

Cornerback

What we need: Upgraded starter/No. 1 CB

Round one works for me, Tru is good but not great, If we can get a stud here take him. Move Tru to slot and faze out Cort. Over paid and getting old fast.

I dont like that we may have yet another hole where there wasnt one before, and that is irritating. That being said--- even super cover corner like Deon Sanders, DGreen, or DRevis are nothing without a good pass rush. We have proven we can have a top tier pass rush, and if we can play consistanlty- then need here at CB is perhaps not as large as we might think

Safety

What we need: Starter

Agree most like with the second first round pick, get the ball hawking safety that can play opposite of the

Id likk to see a top flight FS here-- rd2
    Last edited by punahou; -11-01-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post

Center

Whyd we draft Jones...? He cant win a job as of now from Dahl or Wells
    He is taking the year off to recover from a foot surgery and get healthy

citr92 is offline Registered User

jadaveon clowny is starting to slip....never bought the hype on the guy

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think Cortland Finnegan may be on his way out. I read somewhere that we have no more guarantees (at least not this year) tied to his contract so we could release him for a minimum amount, freeing essentially 10-14 million dollars in cap space. If this happened, I'd strongly pursue (with that cash) S Jairus Byrd. He's the top FS in the league and there is none better when it comes to single high FS's. He allows T.J to do what he does best (creep at the LOS) and certainly solidifies the back end of our CB's.

Once that is worked out, I do whatever I please in the draft. We've got two 1st rounders. I wouldn't be opposed to WR, OG, OLB, CB, or even QB. I think Barksdale is a mainstay at RT and I believe we could bring Saffold back on a cheap 1 year deal which would offer big time depth at LT and RT. I don't mind Chris Williams nor Harvey Dahl but neither are excellent and both can be upgraded (I probably wouldn't do it in the first though). S isn't needed if Byrd is added in my hypothetical. I am a little iffy on the WR spot. I just don't know if Sammy Watkins (the top WR currently) is good enough for me to drop a 1 on him. I need to study this draft class. Also, CB is iffy, though I wouldn't mind pulling the trigger. Bradley Roby and Louchiez Purifoy are two guys I'd look out for. If I had my pick of first rounders I'd go (6) Anthony Barr (if available), Sammy Watkins / Marqise Lee/ Louis Nix.

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    If this happened, I'd strongly pursue (with that cash) S Jairus Byrd. He's the top FS in the league and there is none better when it comes to single high FS's. He allows T.J to do what he does best (creep at the LOS) and certainly solidifies the back end of our CB's.
    The problem here is that it doesn't seem as if Fisher's defense utilizes a traditional free and strong safety. From what I read this offseason, the two positions are similar, which negates Byrd's appeal as a center fielder type, unless he can serve both roles and be more interchangeable.

I think Barksdale is a mainstay at RT
    I think this is a problem many Rams fans find themselves in year after year. A player has a good showing in a limited sample size, and suddenly people feel as if he's the answer and the position is no longer a need.

Some fans tried to pull the same thing last season with Chris Givens; he had some quality games and suddenly we didn't need a true #1 type receiver. Except we still do; Pettis has arguably had a bigger impact this season than Givens has, and the Rams still lack any kind of outside receiving weapon that forces shifts in coverage to handle.

Barksdale has been impressive at offensive tackle this year, but IMO there's no way you pass on a guy like Matthews or Lewan because you have Joe Barksdale. You draft an elite talent at the position, solidify the edges of your line, and have Barksdale as a very effective swing tackle should you need him.

If I had my pick of first rounders I'd go (6) Anthony Barr (if available), Sammy Watkins / Marqise Lee/ Louis Nix.
    I asked this in another thread, and I'm still waiting to hear the answer. If you draft Barr, who are you benching in nickel packages?

Laurinaitis and Long were both signed to big deals that aren't indicative of part-time players, Quinn is having a monster year with double digit sacks through eight games, and the Rams spent a first round pick on an athletic every down OLB in Ogletree already.

So who of this pack is getting benched to make room for Barr in the nickel? This is why I don't think another first round OLB makes sense. Someone has to come off the field.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The problem here is that it doesn't seem as if Fisher's defense utilizes a traditional free and strong safety. From what I read this offseason, the two positions are similar, which negates Byrd's appeal as a center fielder type, unless he can serve both roles and be more interchangeable.

I think this is a problem many Rams fans find themselves in year after year. A player has a good showing in a limited sample size, and suddenly people feel as if he's the answer and the position is no longer a need.

Some fans tried to pull the same thing last season with Chris Givens; he had some quality games and suddenly we didn't need a true #1 type receiver. Except we still do; Pettis has arguably had a bigger impact this season than Givens has, and the Rams still lack any kind of outside receiving weapon that forces shifts in coverage to handle.

Barksdale has been impressive at offensive tackle this year, but IMO there's no way you pass on a guy like Matthews or Lewan because you have Joe Barksdale. You draft an elite talent at the position, solidify the edges of your line, and have Barksdale as a very effective swing tackle should you need him.

I asked this in another thread, and I'm still waiting to hear the answer. If you draft Barr, who are you benching in nickel packages?

Laurinaitis and Long were both signed to big deals that aren't indicative of part-time players, Quinn is having a monster year with double digit sacks through eight games, and the Rams spent a first round pick on an athletic every down OLB in Ogletree already.

So who of this pack is getting benched to make room for Barr in the nickel? This is why I don't think another first round OLB makes sense. Someone has to come off the field.
    The last thing I'm worried about is what kind of Safeties Fisher likes, cuz they have certainly not lit up the Earth. At the end of the day it's a passing league and you need not 1 but 2 Safeties who can drop back and play centre field, not to mention play man vs HB's and TE's. Byrd is more comfortable in the back end. With a gambler like Janoris Jenkins you need a S you can trust back there that'll allow Jenkins to do what he does. You add a half decent FS that can play deep and no longer do you have to line your damn CB's up 10 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 10's....Damn shame.

Let's not forget Joe Barskdale was no slouch coming out of college. He came out of a highly touted school and was drafted in the 3rd round. He's developed well. Well enough to let Saffold walk. Now I'm not saying I'd pass 100% on the Tackles in the draft, but I think OT is a spot were relatively fine at.

Barr is a special propsect in my eyes (Von Miller anyone?). If I draft Anthony Barr he plays 3 downs. I'd sub Kendall Langford and Michael Brockers more often (especially Langford) and have Long play at DT most likely. The Seahawks utilize a 4 DE pass rush with Chris Clemons, Bruce Irvin, Cliff Avril, and Michael Bennett and it's deadly. Also, they had Clemons and Irvin, as well as Red Bryant and still went after the two best DE's in FA this past year.

I would have 0 troubles watching a defensive line consisting of Anthony Barr, Chris Long, Will Hayes, Rob Quinn on the rush on a 3rd and 10.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

I would not throw Givens into a comparison with Barksdale. Barksdale played in a couple of games last year and played OK and has done the same this year. Givens had a nice rookie year flashing big play ability. Givens by the way has one less TD catch then Wallace who was paid a monster contract. Wallace avg 13.3 yards per catch down from his career avg of 16.7 yards. Givens avg is 16.1 per catch and is being double a lot. Givens is on his way to becoming a number one IMO, he's not there yet but he's has the skills sets to be one in the NFL. Pettis should be making plays he's the only one that the other team does not worry about. Tavon, Cook and Givens get the doubles, not Pettis. That's why I would like Quick to play more, before we draft yet another WR. Not to mention what the does to the 3rd round we spent on Bailey. Rant over.

That said I agree with you about Barksdale he's decent but we need much better then decent. He's a decent backup. We need elite tackles if we want to win a SB.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-02-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The last thing I'm worried about is what kind of Safeties Fisher likes
    Well I can guarantee you that Fisher is worried about what kind of safeties he likes, so unless Byrd can fit into the role Fisher uses, then he's not a realistic target.

Barr is a special propsect in my eyes (Von Miller anyone?). If I draft Anthony Barr he plays 3 downs. I'd sub Kendall Langford and Michael Brockers more often (especially Langford) and have Long play at DT most likely. The Seahawks utilize a 4 DE pass rush with Chris Clemons, Bruce Irvin, Cliff Avril, and Michael Bennett and it's deadly. Also, they had Clemons and Irvin, as well as Red Bryant and still went after the two best DE's in FA this past year.
    Bringing up the Seahawks as an example to strive towards or mimic is kind of silly, since they run a very specific defensive scheme that utilizes a heavy rotation and isn't going to be copied in St. Louis.

The four defensive end front you're referring to utilizes a lot of part time players. In fact, even though Seattle's defense has defended over 500 opposing offensive snaps so far this year, no Seattle Seahawks defensive lineman has played more snaps this season than Michael Bennett and he only has 306 under his belt.

So, I suspect one reason these guys are deadly is because they're playing on a more limited basis and are fresher than more traditional every down players. The Rams won't do that with Long after committing huge money to him, nor will they likely do it with Quinn if they resign him to the kind of deal he'll command.

You bring up that the Seahawks pursued and signed top free agents at the DE position this offseason, but they did so because they knew they'd be without Irvin and Clemons to start the year, and even then they didn't pay Avril or Bennett the type of big money that Long got (and Quinn, if he resigns, will get). Thus, it's easier to play them more sparingly from a financial standpoint.

And I'm sorry, but the "Chris Long to DT in passing situations" solution makes zero sense to me. The Rams aren't paying him $12 million a year to line up as a 270-pound defensive tackle in arguably their most important packages. He'd be a non-factor and get lost on the inside.

What this really sounds like is that you've fallen in love with Barr and are determined to try and shoehorn him onto this roster when it really doesn't make much sense. Maybe if the Rams hadn't acquired Ogletree last year, it could work. But with Laurinaitis getting paid like an every down player, Ogletree being drafted as an every down player, and two every down ends in Quinn and Long, I just don't see this team spending another first round pick on an OLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I would not throw Givens into a comparison with Barksdale.
    In the context of fan opinions, I think they're comparable.

Despite good play last year, Givens didn't eliminate this team's need for a true #1 receiver this year, just like it'd be foolish to think Barksdale's good play this season eliminates this team's need for a true starting offensive tackle next year.

Similar situations, and the manner in which some fans are overreacting to Barksdale's success this year reminds me of how some overreacted to Givens' success last year. We need to retrain ourselves as Rams fans to get away from this mindset where a guy is productive and suddenly our need at the position goes away.
    punahou likes this.