rNemesis is offline Registered User

What will the rams do in the 2009 nfl draft? I am dying to know!!!

Hi all its me again, the ramsfan from the Bahamas. I've been hearing a lot of rumors as to what the rams are going to do with their #2 pick. Everyone knows that we need an offensive line help badly more than any other position, but especially at right and left tackle. Orlando Pace is getting old and probably only has a couple of years left if not then one or two for sure ( Im sure he will want to stay with us despite rumors because he loves the city and loves to compete) and Alex Barron cannot seem to avoid costly false start penalties despite his 10/10 durability. I dont know whether to go with Munroe, jason or andre smith, oher, or use it on something else and look towards FA. But the thing is, how many good tackle are out there in FA?

WR is not a bad option at #2 ( we all know Crabtree is the Fitzgerald and plaxico of this draft), but that is not our biggest concern. Like Steve Spagnuolo said, our main concern is to run the football and protect the quarterback, both of which rely heavily on a consistent sturdy offensive line. We already have Holt ( even though he could be gone this year, who knows, we'll see) avery and an unproven, not-given-the-chance-because-of-injury Burton, and also again, we can look to FA for that.

What about defense? This is also a strong point of emphasis for any team but especially the rams, because of our struggles. We struggled mostly at getting pass rush and stopping the deep ball. I think we need to give Chris Long time to develop, and we obviously know what Little and James Hall can do. And finally, quarterback play. Bulger shines at times, but obviously is still rattled and hasnt caught himself back up yet because of so many hits, especially from his blind side when Pace was out ( when Pace was in, he very rarely lost a matchup, which is why I want Pace back because despite getting old, he has some gas left in the tank). And it makes no sense getting a QB if one, he isn't ready for the PRO level yet, and two, we cannot protect him anyhow. I think we work with Bulger and just see if he can lead us to the promised land. On the flip side, I think it would hurt if we pass up on a MATT RYAN type QB in stafford or bradford!

PLEASE provide INPUT as soon as possible because I really want to hear the response from you intelligent fellow ram fans.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Re: What will the rams do in the 2009 nfl draft? I am dying to know!!!

We were counting on you to scout out some talent for us in the Bahamas.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LOL thats a joke!! Football is not even NEAR pro or college level here!! Come on lets get serious !!!

I think the rams best bets are two things:

1) Go with the best OT in the draft who can start and play well on day 1 like Jake Long did last year or;

2 ) Trade down to get more picks so they can get the best LB, CB, AND OT available while still getting decent FA pickups at the positions they need the most who can help this team get back to winning.

johnnyram is offline Registered User

Hey guys i have been reading up alot on the rams this off season and i have got to say that this is one of the best web sites. So far none of the threads have been interrupted by "haters". Now in my opinion it sounds like we are putting to much hope in the draft. These kids coming out of college are usually 2 or 3 years at best away from making a name for themselves....how many guys from last years draft were quality starters in the league this past season? I see the draft as a luxery were you can add potential for depth to a roster. For me i see the rams letting some over paid baggage go and targeting some proven players in free agency all on the offensive side of the ball. Now on the defensive side with the first couple of picks in the draft lets go after a "plug" at nose tackle and a "beastly hi-bryd" strong safety or middle line backer. My reasoning is on offense i feel that there is more technique to be learned but at those positions on defense that i mentioned you can pretty much turn those guys lose and let them cause havoc. I think we have all seen those teams with a so so "o" go far because of a great "D"...lets go get a graet "D"

That is a very true response, although I disagree somewhat in terms of the fact that you CAN draft players out of the draft and they can start day 1 and have an immediate impact. But I think our defense is about the turn the corner; thank goodness Steve Spagnuolo has come in to help turn things around. We need to take the best LB and the best safety available and I think we will be alright. This team does not need Torry Holt because releasing him will free up salary cap space and give us a chance to go out and sign a number 1 WR. I want winners on this team.

I was watching ESPN today and I just couldnt help but watch in awe as to how they were talking about Matthew Stafford and how he is the next best thing to Brett Favre in terms of arm and toughness. But if we pick him with the number 2, we have to make sure that that is what we ULTIMATELY need for this team moving forward, because I must say, Bulger, despite the good play, makes a lot of poor decisions under really NO real pressure or rush at all.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I say trade down and pick up a late first round pick and 2 second round picks and go O-line.

Personally If Spag wants to protect the QB and run the ball--its the O-line. But to really get serious about doing both, get another RB or pass-catching full back and go with a two back set. Too many TE/WR/tackle eleigable plays to mention not to mention power sweeps, Draws and screen plays to draw upon. Those are the type of plays the Rams have the muscel and bone to run without having to rely too much on either Bulger or Jackson

johnnyram is offline Registered User

There is no doubt that the Rams are a much better team offensively speaking when S. Jackson and Bulger are in the game and that is why i do hope that the coaches address the O-line in the off season to keep them healthy,however as sweet as a new Q.B. my sound or big O-tackle, Bulger isn't going anywhere with that contract, and the tackle position is pretty deep in the draft. Last season our offense put our defense in position 3 or 4 times to win the game and our defense couldn"t hold the lead in the 4th...Defense is where it needs to start the first two rounds of the draft should be d-line and then ss/ilb... then go offese all the way. That is only if during the offseason we can re-sign Bartell and Atogwe free up some cap space by getting rid of Bennett, Glover, Holt(trade), acouple of the tight ends, and so on. But thats just me. PEACE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyram View Post
    There is no doubt that the Rams are a much better team offensively speaking when S. Jackson and Bulger are in the game and that is why i do hope that the coaches address the O-line in the off season to keep them healthy,however as sweet as a new Q.B. my sound or big O-tackle, Bulger isn't going anywhere with that contract, and the tackle position is pretty deep in the draft. Last season our offense put our defense in position 3 or 4 times to win the game and our defense couldn"t hold the lead in the 4th...Defense is where it needs to start the first two rounds of the draft should be d-line and then ss/ilb... then go offese all the way. That is only if during the offseason we can re-sign Bartell and Atogwe free up some cap space by getting rid of Bennett, Glover, Holt(trade), acouple of the tight ends, and so on. But thats just me. PEACE!!!!!
    It is good that you mention what you just did about this team, because unfortunately for us, our team has a lot of holes and problems from expiring contracts to players who just shouldnt be here. But our biggest problem last year wasn;t the offense OR the defense: IT WAS BOTH, which is what makes it even tougher to compete again.

As a matter of fact, that brings up another topic I wanted to talk about. Our defense played well in certain games and pathetic in others. Our offense played for the most part stagnant all season, so its not like the defense does'nt have any hope. But the offense really worries me, because I feel as though the offense, despite being set up well by a fighting defensive squad struggling to stay in the game and compete, either couldnt take advantage of the field position or just couldnt move the ball down field to begin with. As far as the defense is concerned, that scares me too, because they got blown out in two games in losses to Philly and NYG. We looked great in the Miami, NE, and Atlanta game, which shows promise, but terrible in all others, which is why it is scary. But if the offense is turning the ball over all the time whether it be on downs or accidentally, it really put our defense in bad positions, which can be part of the blame.

AND YET ANOTHER REASON WHY I SAY TO GET THE BEST TACKLE AVAILABLE IN THE DRAFT AND TAKE IT FROM THERE, because the offense tends to run smoother and make less mistakes when Bulger is getting protected.

punahou is offline Registered User

theres a lot of OT in this draft

#2 we go MLB or Crabtree
    #3 in rd 2 we go OT

enough with the #2 is too high for a mlb

it wasnt too long ago that #1 was unheard of for OT as well--if the best player to impact the team is a MLB, then stop with the traditional modes of thought. Look what the traditional modes of thought have brought to our economy.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    theres a lot of OT in this draft

#2 we go MLB or Crabtree
    #3 in rd 2 we go OT

enough with the #2 is too high for a mlb

it wasnt too long ago that #1 was unheard of for OT as well--if the best player to impact the team is a MLB, then stop with the traditional modes of thought. Look what the traditional modes of thought have brought to our economy.
    Well we took Orlando Pace number one overall back in '98, so why can't we do it again? The only reason the Rams didn't take an OT ( Jake Long) in the draft last year was because the Dolphins took him first, so WE in turn did the next best thing by taking Chris Long. Now its our opportunity to do it this year.

blood85 is offline Registered User

The battles (games, playoffs, etc) are won in the trenches, if we can block, rush the passer, etc, it makes everything else easier. I can't see them passing up an offensive tackle. We can still get other good players in the latter rounds. Personally, I'd like them to draft Crabtree, then seek some offensive linemen, but I doubt that is gonna happen.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I may be wrong but I bet if you asked Bulger... "would you rather we draft you Crabtree or help for the O-line? Bulger would pick the O-line. IMHO.