Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What you all waited for....RichTree's 2013 Pre-Combine WR Ratings +more!!!

richtree is offline Registered User

What you all waited for....RichTree's 2013 Pre-Combine WR Ratings +more!!!

I am finally done after trying to wait for new information, I need to post all my rankings.

Firstly, I want to say that this WR class is one of the worst classes I have ever examined. That made things so hard to figure out since there is not a lot of separation between many lower ranked guys. That does not mean that there is not good players here, just not as fruitful as we have seen.

So, before I start with this year, I want to note that 2014 WR class will be one of the best we have ever seen if all the eligible guys come out.

2014 watch: Jordan Mitchell, Brandon Coleman, Marqise Lee, Sammy Watkins, Malcom Mitchell, Allen Robinson, Tracy Moore, Cody Hoffman and more and more......tons of talent
    2014 Free Agent WR class will also be deep with Britt, Harvin, Nicks, Jones, Boldin....

Anyway, I just thought I would note that......so here are the rankings so far:

Now lets get to the notes on this list:

1. Cordarrelle Patterson -- Clear cut #1 WR in this year’s very weak class. His speed can make him a legit NFL WR but measuring a bit smaller at 6ft 1in will make his 40yd dash and bench press carry some importance. Perfect guy to line up across from a strong, sure-handed WR.
    No way he gets out of the Top 14 picks – probably a Top 10 guy.

2. Keenan Allen – There is no clear cut #2 WR in this draft. It will depend on need and anyone in the next 8 could fly up the board with a good off-season showing. Allen had horrible QB play and Cal but he still showed NFL athleticism which is hard to find. He is listed big, but plays smaller like a Victor Cruz. Super-tough in traffic like Reggie Wayne. He could go as high as #9 or fall all the way to round turnover to Round 2. Two things to watch – his vertical jump and his drops. He seemed frustrated with lack of talent around him, but fought hard.

3. Terrence Williams – Has best knack of getting behind the defenders down the field. Finds a way to catch on the outside both deep and coming back to the ball. A lighter build like S.Holmes but plays more like Crabtree. His routes could be crisper and needs some more strength possibly knocking him into Round2 – but he has Round 1 talents. He is one of the safest picks, but not a huge ceiling as far as big time plays.

4. Tavon Austin – This guy needs to go to a team that will use him like Randall Cobb. There is always a chance that he is more Dexter McCluster than Cobb, but Austin’s love for the game makes you think he will succeed. A team has to use him as combo player in WR and RB to have him succeed. Only problem if he gets past #25 (Seahawks) – he will probably slip in the 2nd round just due to him being a specialty player. Probably Jets or Panthers Round 2 pick.

5. Aaron Dobson – I was really close to putting this guy as the #2 overall WR on the board. He seems to do it all, but Marshall didn’t play anyone good, and he wasn’t the leading WR on his team. Either way he seems to have the whole package. I feel if he played at Ohio St. or USC wewould all be talking about Round 1 with this guy. He is my super sleeper. I have him ranked in the 5-10 group of Wide Recievers but could clearly enter the top 30-40 picks of this years draft. Combine will be huge for him to get his true measurables and just see how he looks next to guys from the SEC, Pac10, etc…..Watch out for Dobson!!!

6. Da'Rick Rogers – Probably the most physically gifted NFL player but this Shawp Kemp look-a-like has off-the-field issues with failed drug tests (3 times in 2 years/ rumor cocaine) and was left to transfer to Tenn Tech. His lack of focus is evident with his very suspect hands. With NFL seperatation, speed, and strength his speed and outside issues will drop him out of Round 1 and possibly out of round 2. I feel this makes him not worth the risk as he is already regressing since his departure from Tennessee. Lets be honest, he should be a top 20 pick, but lets be honest he probably won’t stay clean. The interview and ‘feel’ if you can keep this kid straight will be the deciding factor. Honestly, I think he will drop but is the true wildcard. I originally had him at #10 or #11 ranked WR, but I stopped myself because I was projecting without giving this guy a chance. So, yes, I think he will fall, but I’ll give him a chance to show up in the off-season.

7. DeAndre Hopkins – The guy just knows how to create space. The question is if he can do it in a pro-style offense and how fast is he? His 40 time carries great value and the system can make or break him. If I team like the Redskins grab him he will succeed. If a team that his more traditional he probably won’t do anything but special teams. He is one of the harder guys to project because I feel he is truly a system player. If he shows elite speed Round 2 is calling if not Round 4 could be waiting. I think he has numbers but the truth is he will be a faller on draft day.

8. Cobi Hamilton -- This kid can play football. He can play inside and outside and is smooth and big enough to do a lot of things, but the question is can he do any 1 thing well enough to stay on the field for 3 downs. He needs some more muscle, but has that long stride of Kendall Wright. His combine will show if he has enough speed (or not) to get deep and across the NFL route tree. I really wanted to put him a few spots higher based on his potential and feel for the game, but its time for Cobi to put the work in and have a good showing to earn his spot.

9. Justin Hunter – The kid has talent, but his he ready? 7 of his 9 TDs came against Troy, Georgia St, and Akron. He seemed to disappear in the bigger games and bigger moments against the NFL talented teams. He is a guy that has NFL talent but really needs on more year of college conditioning to become the player a team needs. He has that “Plaxico” size that every big NFL WR wants, but frail and not route ready. He had knee surgery and never got his body in great shape. You want him to make high catches like Malcom Floyd and if you draft him, you know it will be a year of development before you can truly see what he can do. High ceiling but lots of risk will let him fall. Time to earn his spot, just like the above Cobi…but he should fly up boards after being seen “in person”.

10. Quinton Patton – Seems to be the “hot” name coming up on draft boards. Quinton has that star feel to him, but does he have the speed to play like a DeSean Jackson? He is a tweener but has that knack to just catch it and get it done. He could be a riser or a faller. Combine could really help or hurt him. I think he could be a perfect fit more teams like the Texans that want a slot /#3 combo guy, but his speed is still in doubt. Could move 5 spots up or down after combine.

Finally --- a wrap up: Patterson seems to be the clear stud.
    Dobson could be next B.Marshall --- Hunter looks better each day.

Sleeper alert --Aaron Mellette if he shows well at workouts with speed.
    Super Sleeper -- Kenbrell Thompkins could be out of nowhere guy

NonInvite -- DeVonte Christopher too good to not be in league and contribute

Denard Robinson -- He cannot play WR in NFL -- Jammal Lord and Eric Crouch couldn't so this guy doesn't have a chance unless he is strictly a 3rd down back and ST

After #1 there is much to gain or lose. I have never seen a class where so much is at stake where WRs have so much to prove. 2-12 is a huge competition where everyone has multiple flaws that they need to 'comfort' teams to prove their worth.

But the upside can be huge. My opinion this is not a WR draft for the weary, you will have to take risks to win, and win big.....

Please be critical -- but realize this is my first release and the final will be the night b4 draft...

thanks for reading !!!

-richtree
    Last edited by richtree; -02-22-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Bold and number names

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: What you all waited for....RichTree's 2013 Pre-Combine WR Ratings +more!!!

Thanks for posting this, always good to read.

Agree with you on Hunter's frame. He's got a couple of inches on Patterson but is lighter by about 20 pounds (updated measurements from combine today). Add to that a slow recovery from injury and you have a guy that could be all over the place, projection wise. I'm interested to see how his story plays out, because the buzz on him has been up and down for a while.

I'm also with you on Dobson. Could be a very interesting development as we get closer to the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Thanks for posting this, always good to read.

Agree with you on Hunter's frame. He's got a couple of inches on Patterson but is lighter by about 20 pounds (updated measurements from combine today). Add to that a slow recovery from injury and you have a guy that could be all over the place, projection wise. I'm interested to see how his story plays out, because the buzz on him has been up and down for a while.

I'm also with you on Dobson. Could be a very interesting development as we get closer to the draft.
    Yeah, Hunter and Dobson are very interesting....Dobson could be special....we will see..

citr92 is offline Registered User

so i guess robert woods' negatives will have to be proven in the combine?

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    so i guess robert woods' negatives will have to be proven in the combine?
    What do you mean? He is just a tad over 6ft and many think he is stuck in the slot for the NFL -- or limited the way a Mario Manningham is...

A lot of scouts think he is 3rd rounder currently....that doesn't mean he is a good or bad player....

just an evaluation that I have....What is your analysis?
    lostsoul likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    What do you mean? He is just a tad over 6ft and many think he is stuck in the slot for the NFL -- or limited the way a Mario Manningham is...

A lot of scouts think he is 3rd rounder currently....that doesn't mean he is a good or bad player....

just an evaluation that I have....What is your analysis?
    his negatives are listed with a question mark about his strength and speed

but if you want my analysis, i think he's overlooked because of his height and ankle injury, which is a good thing to be wary about but not to set in stone as a bad thing, if he's considered small, can he jump? Not the highest but he's got some hops, can he move? He's faster than what people think, and moves well with the ball as i've said before, good route runner, smart player, great blocker...

so yea, i think he's good, i think it's fair to put him in the late 2nd, 3rd round, especially if he shows his strength and speed, except i'm not sure about what kind of strength they want to see

since it's the draft evaluation, i'm sure they want combine lifts and stuff that can overrate or underrate a player

i don't think he's stuck as a slot receiver, i don't think he's a number one, Quick is the number one with the rams, he just has to show it

i think he'd be a good receiver with the rams, you don't need to be lightning quick to be good, which most people seem to be obsessed with, i love speed too, but i want a guy who can run his routes, catch the ball, run with the ball, fight for the ball, and block when he has to

i just think he's been really overlooked by bigger and faster guys
    who else do we know who was considered small but was a fantastic receiver? Torry Holt, he was fast though

not saying woods is torry holt, but robert woods is fast enough imo, his speed is breakaway speed as opposed to the fast 40 guys

some guys are fast in a straight line and can't juke for crud, although woods may not be as fast, he runs a 4.47 and i'm not sure if that's on his bad ankle or not, but he's quick and can make people miss

just need to see how he performs since the SC offense got obsessed with marqise lee and he was left to just watch basically
    Last edited by citr92; -02-22-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    lostsoul likes this.

his negatives are listed with a question mark about his strength and speed
    Due to space limit -- that is simply a quick way to say his speed is in question and his strength may be sub-par.....Woods is someone that truly needs the combine (like you said) to dis-prove his negatives.....

Combine 40 times, bench press, and eyeball tests mean more than ever this year...

Due to space limit -- that is simply a quick way to say his speed is in question and his strength may be sub-par.....Woods is someone that truly needs the combine (like you said) to dis-prove his negatives.....

Combine 40 times, bench press, and eyeball tests mean more than ever this year...
    yea, he question mark confused me at first, so yea the combine really matters for him i guess, it does for everyone but actually meaning something is different

Appearing on NFL Live Friday, ex-Colts president Bill Polian compared Cal WR Keenan Allen to Reggie Wayne.

^^ Pat myself on back for the comparison before Polian stated it...lol....I am sure that means he will be nothing like Wayne.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

yea, he question mark confused me at first, so yea the combine really matters for him i guess, it does for everyone but actually meaning something is different
    What is interesting to me about Robert Woods is that at the beginning of the 2012 season he was considered to be a top 10 pick by many. His ankle injury, the emergence of Marquise Lee and the overall decline of USC hurt his draft stock but I would be very happy if the Rams were able to get him in the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th round somehow. I agree with you about the slightly slower Torry Holt comparison (Torry ran a 4.3 40) but Woods was a track star in high school (4th in the country at 400m) so I don't think speed is a real issue with him as much as size and strength are.
    Last edited by jmk321; -02-22-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    What is interesting to me about Robert Woods is that at the beginning of the 2012 season he was considered to be a top 10 pick by many. His ankle injury, the emergence of Marquise Lee and the overall decline of USC hurt his draft stock but I would be very happy if the Rams were able to get him in the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th round somehow. I agree with you about the slightly slower Torry Holt comparison (Torry ran a 4.3 40) but Woods was a track star in high school (4th in the country at 400m) so I don't think speed is a real issue with him as much as size and strength are.
    I don't think scouts ever considered him a top guy. He has always been very skinny and I would not be happy with him in top 4 rounds since we already have a better guy in Givens.

Yodude is offline Registered User

^^ Pat myself on back for the comparison before Polian stated it...lol....I am sure that means he will be nothing like Wayne.
    I'm thinking it means Polian is lurking about in the Draft and FA forum.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Good list.

Eight of your top ten are in mine as well, though you're higher on Dobson and Hamilton than I am. You really hit on Hilton last year, so it'll be interesting to see if one of those two step up. Dobson being the thrid most productive receiver at Marshall worries me a bit.

The Wayne/Allen connection is interesting. I'd think most coaches would want to see a 6'2" guy play with every inch of that height, but being compared to a great play is never a bad thing.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I don't think scouts ever considered him a top guy. He has always been very skinny and I would not be happy with him in top 4 rounds since we already have a better guy in Givens.
    A lot of people had him as a top 10 or even top 5 pick (he did set a USC record with 111 catches in 2011). I know this because before every season I go and look at who all the draft experts have at the top of the receiver position so I know which college games to watch. This year most of the draft guys had Woods as the best receiver followed by Allen. I am looking forward to the year when I don't have to do this because the Rams FO finally decided to give Bradford a legitimate number 1 target.

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    glad someone else knows this too

i mean, 2nd in state in the 4, and he ran a low 21 in the 2 i think, don't remember what place

and he placed 2nd to josh mance, a fellow trojan and OLYMPIAN of this past summer
    eric2810 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast