View Poll Results: With the draft in mind, what position would you target in FA?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • WR, because Blackmon alone will not be enough.

6 18.75%
  • WR, so the Rams don't have to use the 2nd pick on Blackmon.

2 6.25%
  • OT, so the Rams won't have to use another premium pick on the position.

1 3.13%
  • OG, because its better to get a veteran than waste a high pick on one.

1 3.13%
  • DT, because there's no Blue Chip DT, and the best ones will be gone by pick 33.

4 12.50%
  • OLB, because its better to get a proven guy than to waste a top 50 pick on that position.

2 6.25%
  • CB, because last year taught us we need depth, and the best guys will be gone by pick 33.

7 21.88%
  • Draft prospects should not impact FA. Go for the BPA in both and then sort it out.

9 28.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What is your FA priority, given the draft possibilities?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

What is your FA priority, given the draft possibilities?

If you were the GM, what position would you target first in FA, given the players that would likely be available to the Rams in the draft?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is your FA priority, given the draft possibilities?

I nearly went with the first option but, in the end, went with the BPA approach. Apart from a few positions where they are set, the Rams just need an influx of talent, period.

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

i say CB for finnegan!

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by xkidflowx View Post
    i say CB for finnegan!
    Ditto... I went w CB because my #1 target for FA is Cortland Finnegan.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I think DT, CB, and help with WR would be great adressing through FA

Specifically Jason Jones and Finnegan. I think OLB is something we can address through draft and help the depth through FA.

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

Get the best talent here then figure out the specifics. We desperately need good players here so I went with BPA. We appear to be building a strong coaching staff with experience. They will know what to do as they've been around the block a few times. With FA you obviously have to pay closer attention to the $, but Kevin Demoff is pretty good in that department.

Go Rams!

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Went DT, but would mind CB or OG.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

CB because we need a little more depth but do have talent there already if they can stay healthy.

I feel like if we want C.Finnegan, were going to grt him. He already stated he would love to come play here for Coach Fisher so kets sign him up.

With the addition of Finnegan, we can ignore the CB position in the draft unless ofcourse there is a cant miss guy that falls in the middle or later rounds.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Like you Av, I went with BPA because we just need a huge influx of talent and depth. I would much rather get four or five mid-level but solid guys at LB, DT, OG, DE(depth) and TE than one or maybe two highlight pickups.

We don't need Finnegan, what we need is for our top three CB's already under contract to get healthy and to sort out whom out of the other 10 we had we still want to keep. We had ten CB's on IR. That's going to screw you no matter how much depth you had. Adding an expensive CB when we already have one that one of the best WR's in the game hates to play against and some promising guys who either got hurt or a ton of playing time, you don't need to go after that position with a star. Why should we kick a cheap guy, who played a bunch last year, to the curb when maybe he got the time in last year to become a really good nickel or second guy?

Address the positions that underperformed, not the ones that got hurt. All that said, I would not mind Finnegan, but not at the cost of depth elsewhere.
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post

We don't need Finnegan, what we need is for our top three CB's already under contract to get healthy and to sort out whom out of the other 10 we had we still want to keep.
    How can you possibly say "we dont need Finnegan?"

Bartell will be 30 years old by the start of next season, coming off a small fracture in his neck. He isn't getting any younger.

Fletcher is coming off the second torn ACL of his career.

Jerome Murphy is solid. But I wouldn't call him a shut down guy, and he fractured his ankle.

The fact of the matter is, we need a true #1 corner. And I think Finnegan will give us that. To say we don't need Finnegan is insane. I'll take Finnegan 24/7 365 over a 30 year old CB coming off a fractured neck.

Passing league my friend, Finnegan would be a much needed, welcome addition.
    Last edited by THOLTFAN81; -02-01-2012 at 12:53 AM.
    39WillRunYaOva and ManofGod like this.

double post

TekeRam is offline Registered User

How can I say we don't need Finnegan? Because we had ten corners on IR, ten! I'm all for improving, but how can you say that Bartell isn't a #1 corner? In 2010, Bartell was rated 12th in the league in terms of football outsider's Success Rate, which is the number of plays that do not give up an amount of yards depending on the down. On 80 targets, Bartell had a success rate of 60%, and an average pass yards of of 5.6, good for 8th. Meanwhile, on 90 targets, Finnegan had a success rate of only 48% and average yards of 9.4, 65th and 76th respectively.

So, in the last year that they both played, Bartell was significantly better. Yes, Bartell did not have to cover Wayne and Andre four times, but he still had to take care of Fitzy, and mainly shut him down. He didn't have to start a fist fight to stop him. In the last three years, Bartell gave up under 6 yards per target twice, Finnegan never got under 7.3.

Last on Bartell, he was healed before the end of the season.

Now, as for acquiring Finnegan: how much is he going to cost? What are you willing to give up? Of our top three corners who all were injured before the end of September, Fletcher is the only one that is questionable as for his return, but he was a rising cover corner. Further, Murphy will be back, King got a ton of playing time Gordy started playing alright. Who are you going to keep, who are you going to cut?

And because we then sink more money into corners, do we not upgrade our DT position? Our OG? We don't have many OLB's under contract at all, so we need to get some of them. What don't we get because we get Finnegan?
    mde8352gorams likes this.
    I believe!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post

Bartell will be 30 years old by the start of next season, coming off a small fracture in his neck. He isn't getting any younger.

Jerome Murphy is solid. But I wouldn't call him a shut down guy, and he fractured his ankle.

The fact of the matter is, we need a true #1 corner. And I think Finnegan will give us that. To say we don't need Finnegan is insane. I'll take Finnegan 24/7 365 over a 30 year old CB coming off a fractured neck.

I think its absurd to say we need Finnegan... In my opinion hes a luxury we just cant afford. Bartell is 100% healthy and could play today. He is solid when healthy, and to me hes extremely underrated. Fletcher before his injury played sick football too. Murphy has solid potential and is 100% healthy. The only one that will be iffy for training camp is Fletcher. If hes good to go, we're going to be a top 10 defense.

And by the way, CB's are the 4th highest paid position in the NFL behind QB, LT and DE. So expect to pay $7 million a year at minimum, in a year where we only have $10 million in cap space...
    TekeRam likes this.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post

Preach my brotha!

And for those who seem to have amnesia, our top 3....count them 3 CB's are INJURY PRONE!
    On the other hand...
    -Finnegan is younger than our current #1
    -A Solid performer at corner, I would argue with anyone that he is a better option than our current #1(Bartell).
    -He is NOT injury prone!
    -Hard nosed
    -A great tackler!
    -Take proper angles in pursuit!

This man instantly makes your secondary better. So in closing, I want him and another WR to help bout Blackmon.
    Last edited by ManofGod; -02-01-2012 at 10:27 AM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Preach my brotha!

And for those who seem to have amnesia, our top 3....count them 3 CB's are INJURY PRONE!
    On the other hand...
    -Finnegan is younger than our current #1
    -A Solid performer at corner, I would argue with anyone that he is a better option than our current #1(Bartell).
    -He is NOT injury prone!
    -Hard nosed
    -A great tackler!
    -Take proper angles in pursuit!

This man instantly makes your secondary better. So in closing, I want him and another WR to help bout Blackmon.
    What he said...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast