RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Whats the chance we swap 1s with Carolina and give them a 2nd or 3rd?

I got to thinking about this what are the chances the Rams swap 1s with Carolina and trade the 2nd or 3rd also for Jenkins. If I was Carolina I would want to move up that 1 position. Because each position closer to the top the more chance you may have to trade down and pick up an extra pick or get the person you want. One position may not sound like a lot but that position could mean the difference between them getting someone they are targeting. It also maybe a person that two or three other teams are targeting that want to move up. This could be another reason Carolina and the Rams would want to wait to trade is there could be a swap of ones involved. Because Carolina may want to insure that the Rams don't pick their guy and the Rams want to make sure that they have a player they like left if they do trade 1s.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-17-2007 at 07:11 PM.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Re: Whats the chance we swap 1s with Carolina and give them a 2nd or 3rd?

I would not doubt that if we made a trade for Jenkins, a first round swap would be involved. Sort of like the Matt Schaub to Houston deal. I think if we get him, it will be for a 3rd and swap for a 1st.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by chipperjones View Post
    I would not doubt that if we made a trade for Jenkins, a first round swap would be involved. Sort of like the Matt Schaub to Houston deal. I think if we get him, it will be for a 3rd and swap for a 1st.
    Only way this happens is if Pat Willis or LaRon Landry is available at 13.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Only way this happens is if Pat Willis or LaRon Landry is available at 13.
    Exactly, the only way a first round swap benefits Carolina is if Willis or Landry are available. So this kind of deal wouldn't go down until draft day.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

What about if Carolina is interested in Ted Ginn Jr? Kudos to Linehan for making us seem interested in him.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Exactly, the only way a first round swap benefits Carolina is if Willis or Landry are available. So this kind of deal wouldn't go down until draft day.
    If you think that is the only two Carolina would care about okay. But with the best quality players in the upper half of the draft I would think every position counts. The talent level goes down with each and every pick. Say Willis and Landry are gone and Branch and Anderson is their at the pick you don't think they might have preference as to which one they see with the most upside and best fits their team. I could see the Rams still trading back a spot because we need Jenkins and that would not be a deal breaker. I could also see Carolina having a preference between the two and if they were not interested in the two DL trading back for an extra pick to some other team that is high on one of the two and afraid the Rams would take him.

Here are the reasons I believe the Rams would want to wait to include the pick and Carolina would want to hold out to get the pick.

Rams reason to wait to include the pick:
    The Rams would probably prefer not to have to include this pick until the day of the draft and they saw two players they were high on at that pick this would insure they would get at least one of the players they were high on.

Carolinas reason to wait to include the pick:
    Carolina on the other hand may want to hold out as well to make sure the Rams don't take their person or trade the pick to some other team that takes their person.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-17-2007 at 10:30 PM.

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

I got a better idea. We swap first and they give us Jenkins for swapping.
    He is too much of a mystery. Personally, I would not give up any more than a 4th rounder for him.
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

Rambos is offline Registered User

Some might say if Branch is still on the board the Rams might take him and not trade for Jenkins. Play Branch and Kennedy at NT and play Glover and Wroten at DT. Might even add another DT in round 2 or 3.

Who knows how it will play out, should be fun.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    If you think that is the only two Carolina would care about okay. But with the best quality players in the upper half of the draft I would think every position counts.
    I just don't see much motivation for the Panthers to move up one spot in round one unless it's to land a guy at a position they really need, which is MLB to eventually replace Dan Morgan and safety since Mike Minter is their only established safety and he will retire after this season. They're not going to trade up for Branch or Anderson. If they needed DT talent they wouldn't be trading Jenkins in the first place, so Branch is out. As for a DE, they may consider one but they have bigger areas to consider. The only other position besides safety and linebacker I could see Carolina moving up for might be quarterback, but even that's doubtful after they signed Carr.

Regardless, there's no point in moving up one spot unless you see someone available at that spot, and they won't know that until draft day.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i dont see Carolina addressing the DL in the first round just because the reason they are getting rid of Jenkins is that they have too much money tied up in the DL already.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    i dont see Carolina addressing the DL in the first round just because the reason they are getting rid of Jenkins is that they have too much money tied up in the DL already.
    Bingo. Well said, Tomahawk. Let's not foreget that Julius Peppers wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL after his current contract expires.

Look at where their needs are-
    LB--Morgan is constantly injured, and getting older.

Safety- Thomas Davis moved to LB, Mike Minter is the only other established player

QB- Delhomme is older, but where's the sense in moving up one spot? The Rams won't be taking a QB anyway.

WR- Ginn Jr. Is a reported target. This probably means that they have no interest in him. Keysawn is getting older, and Steve Smith doesn't want to return kicks anymore- However, they have invested a few recent Higher picks (Keary Colbert &...Was there someone else?) to add life into their recieving corps.

Looking at is this way, Landry and Willis are the only player's they'd move up for, unless their smokescreen is a smokescreen smokescreen () and they really do want Ginn.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Is it possible that we'd give up (not swap) our 1st round pick for Jenkins? I've read that Carolina might be seeking a 1st round pick for him.
    I would hope we wouldn't do that.
    I forget...what's the reason Carolina wants to trade him?