View Poll Results: What's your first choice with Pick No. 2?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • The gift that keeps on giving: TRADE THE PICK

36 73.47%
  • Slow and steady wins the race: JAKE MATTHEWS

10 20.41%
  • The best offense is a GREAT defense: JADEVEON CLOWNEY

1 2.04%
  • Back to the drawing board: TAKE A QB

1 2.04%
  • Needa Diva: SAMMY WATKINS or MIKE EVANS

1 2.04%
  • Some other option (describe below).

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What's your first choice for No. 2?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What's your first choice for No. 2?

There are many possibilities. What's your first choice?

Note: for the trade option, assume the trade fits into the "trade value chart" pick values (i.e. Rams trade for Cleveland's 2 first round picks, Rams trade to another team and acquire a package that would likely include a future first round pick).
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-30-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: What's your first choice for No. 2?

Jake Matthews. Seems like a perfect balance between talent and need. His connection to the coach makes him an even better match for the Rams.
    ManofGod likes this.

I went with option #1 (trade).

My expectation is that this will be the overwhelming favorite of the fans as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

My expectation is that this will be the overwhelming favorite of the fans as well.
    Trade would be my second choice. It's a very good option, especially with what looks like a deep group of OL should the Rams move down and miss on Matthews.

EDIT: For some reason it looks like my vote for Jake isn't counting on the poll. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Trade would be my second choice. It's a very good option, especially with what looks like a deep group of OL should the Rams move down and miss on Matthews.

EDIT: For some reason it looks like my vote for Jake isn't counting on the poll. Weird.
    Fixed that.

It was close between Matthews and trade for me as well. In part, I feel as though its better to have as many quality ACLs on the team as possible.

Fixed that.

It was close between Matthews and trade for me as well. In part, I feel as though its better to have as many quality ACLs on the team as possible.
    I don't think the Rams could go wrong either way. It would really be something to see them turn that Washington pick into even more selections.
    Rambos, chiguy and Randart like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I'm still in shock we have the 2nd pick! Just did not think that was going to happen. If Bradford had proven over the last two years he is not the guy I would stay and draft a QB. No harm no foul for passing on RG3. But he is better then most NFL QBs IMO. I just don't see any player of need that is worth the value of that pick if teams are willing to give up picks.

With the old regime I would say just don't mess it up. With this regime it's going to be scary good one would think after watching them work the draft over the last two years.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I really just can't see how the pick isn't traded. There is a good sized group of teams that are in the market for a QB, and we are very obviously not. They are all picking very close to each other and might need to leap frog a couple of teams to land their man, driving up the price of our pick and still giving us a (probable) top ten pick.

Clowney is a prospect that has been hyped up more than any other this year(even most years), and we are not in need of a Defensive end. Atlanta is right there in the mix, but a team might be interested in jumping ahead of them for the chance at a "once in a generation" prospect.

The Matthews-Fisher connection aside, Fisher's history of taking offensive linemen in the first round speaks for itself. I'll believe it when I see it as it goes with taking an o-lineman. We can't even rule out the possibility of someone wanting to trade up for Matthews, as he is the only clear cut standout of the tackle group right now. I think more distance is being put between Matthews and Lewan as the season finishes out. Would Snead value extra draft picks over a talent like Matthews? Who can say.

Everything is lining up for the Rams to trade the pick. An extra first rounder gives us incredible flexibility to make any move we need to. I'm really excited to see what Snead is able to do with the picks.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Jake Matthews. Seems like a perfect balance between talent and need. His connection to the coach makes him an even better match for the Rams.
    Quote Originally Posted by AV
    Nothing I love more than to have my proverbial cake and proverbially eat it too.

If, that is IF, the Browns fall in love with a particular QB, then their #4 and #26 (though that may be subject to where the Colts fall in the playoffs, if I'm not mistaken) are close enough in value to the #2 that trade value is even. QBs go #1 and #2, the Jags take Clowney or a QB. Then Matthews to the Rams at #4.

But HUb, what if the Jags take Matthews to bookend with his ol' buddy Jockel....or they trade it away to someone wanting Matthews?

Well, then all the Clowney folks will get their dream come true. Or we trade back again. Either way.

But to me, Matthews plus #13 plus #26 sounds pretty good to me.
    RealRam, Nick and DE_Ramfan like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Nothing I love more than to have my proverbial cake and proverbially eat it too.

If, that is IF, the Browns fall in love with a particular QB, then their #4 and #26 (though that may be subject to where the Colts fall in the playoffs, if I'm not mistaken) are close enough in value to the #2 that trade value is even. QBs go #1 and #2, the Jags take Clowney or a QB. Then Matthews to the Rams at #4.

But HUb, what if the Jags take Matthews to bookend with his ol' buddy Jockel....or they trade it away to someone wanting Matthews?

Well, then all the Clowney folks will get their dream come true. Or we trade back again. Either way.

But to me, Matthews plus #13 plus #26 sounds pretty good to me.
    Getting four first round picks for RG3 would be sick. In a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

If, that is IF, the Browns fall in love with a particular QB, then their #4 and #26 (though that may be subject to where the Colts fall in the playoffs, if I'm not mistaken) are close enough in value to the #2 that trade value is even. QBs go #1 and #2, the Jags take Clowney or a QB.
    Under the Trade Value Chart, #4/#26 = 2,500 points, where #2 is 2,600 points. That'll work.

Then Matthews to the Rams at #4.
    If we could get Matthews AND add a late first round pick, that would be like your flight leaving on time AND getting bumped to first class.
    Nick and RockinRam like this.

Under the Trade Value Chart, #4/#26 = 2,500 points, where #2 is 2,600 points. That'll work.

If we could get Matthews AND add a late first round pick, that would be like your flight leaving on time AND getting bumped to first class.
    Thank you for flying....

What's your first choice for No. 2?-unpainted-2013-oct-1-173.jpg
    RealRam, AvengerRam, Nick and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Thank you for flying....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unpainted-2013-oct-1-173.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	4227
    Now that's just all sorts of awesome!

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

My faith is in what Fisher and Snead can do with trading out of that pick. They've earned that trust from me. 'Tree, Brookers, T Johnson, Jenkins, Austin and more so Bailey, Stacy!, Barksdale (didn't draft but come on), McDonald, Zuerlien, Hekker.....

I can't imagine a trade scenario that doesn't put more talent on this team, and talent in the areas that need it, like OT, OG, S, CB, DT, OLB. That is a lot of spots. More picks and quality talent evaluation could very well fill those holes.
    Randart likes this.
    Semper Fi!

Randart is offline Registered User

I even envision this to be a year that another RG the third kind of trade could be had if all the Jr. QB's come out etc. We could be riding the cat bird seat on air Skins for along time to come. In Fish, Snead et al, we trust! I voted trade the pick, but I am a huge advocate of Matthews as I have really enjoyed watching him play this season. Last season I paid more attention to Joekel than Jake as he was on the right side then. I cannot wait to hear what Fish and Les think of this class of future rookies. Gotta be thanking the Skins for coming through in the fashion many of us envisioned this season. Feel sorry for Shanny but he has had a nice coaching career with some ups and downs. I am sure he will be happy getting paid to put his feet up...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast