View Poll Results: What's your first choice with Pick No. 2?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • The gift that keeps on giving: TRADE THE PICK

36 73.47%
  • Slow and steady wins the race: JAKE MATTHEWS

10 20.41%
  • The best offense is a GREAT defense: JADEVEON CLOWNEY

1 2.04%
  • Back to the drawing board: TAKE A QB

1 2.04%
  • Needa Diva: SAMMY WATKINS or MIKE EVANS

1 2.04%
  • Some other option (describe below).

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What's your first choice for No. 2?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: What's your first choice for No. 2?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I went with option #1 (trade).

My expectation is that this will be the overwhelming favorite of the fans as well.
    13 votes in and you're absolutely right so far.

One question I'd like to pose for the people selecting Trade Down is this: what type of package would it take?

Obviously swapping first rounders would be part of it, but what else besides that would you need to get in order to accept a deal down? I don't think we're going to see another RGIII type package because he was a superior prospect to any QB in this class, and I'm just hesitant to think anyone is trading the farm for Clowney given his supposed character concerns.

So I'm just curious as to what type of packages people had in mind for a trade, and which team you think will be offering them. I'm very open to the idea of a trade if the price is right, but at the same time, I don't want to turn down a shot at a blue-chip guy at a position of need like Matthews if the compensation isn't appropriate.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I would like to see the pick traded allowing Snead to add another rookie with starting potential to the mix. The dream scenario at this point, as many have already stated, is to trade down, pick up another first or a high second and still manage to pick up Matthews.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't think the Rams could go wrong either way [Matthews + trade]. It would really be something to see them turn that Washington pick into even more selections.
    Exactamente, ¡¡¡sí señor!!!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I picked draft Matthews with the original #2 pick.

My biggest fear is of trading down is losing the opportunity to draft Matthews. IMO, there is an obvious and noticeably gap talent-wise between Matthews and the rest of the available OTs (Lewan, Kuandjo, etc.). I don't think I'd be satisfied getting an OT that isn't THE best, which would potentially cause problems for Bradford.

However, having another 1st round draft pick is incredibly enticing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Thank you for flying....

Attachment 4227
    NICE! Now let's see the Rams bring that high flying $$$ organization down to earth.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Get Matthews. We saw on Sunday what happens when you don't have a solid OL. The Rams will live or die depending on the guys in front of Bradford and Stacy, so I went with option 2, which gives the Rams the best chance to help solidify the line.

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
    Get Matthews. We saw on Sunday what happens when you don't have a solid OL. The Rams will live or die depending on the guys in front of Bradford and Stacy, so I went with option 2, which gives the Rams the best chance to help solidify the line.
    And that is what makes the most sense to me as well. Yes, I voted Matthews too.

Last edited by RealRam; -12-30-2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Ram

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Initially I think that drafting Matthews is the way to go considering how our oline looking finishing the season. However, I also think that once teams can start going over these other olinemen with a fine tooth comb that some will rise much like last year. If you can get someone just as good or a little behind Matthews and still pick up another 1st round or more... have to do it.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I voted trade, with snatching up Matthews a close second. I like Matthews a lot, but the Rams aren't one player away from the Super Bowl and need as many quality players as they can get. I think the Texans will end up drafting Clowney or the top-ranked QB, either Bridgewater or that kid from UCF. I'm hoping they draft Clowney, which leaves teams fighting to trade up to the Rams spot knowing that JAX will most likely draft a QB (no way do the Jags go OL two years in a row with such a lack of talent at QB). With this in mind, I personally think that Cleveland is going to try to make a big splash to get their fan base excited, and what better way to make a splash than trading for the 2nd pick in the draft. Cleveland gets their choice of QB's, followed by the Jags drafting a QB, and the Rams selecting the guy who they wanted all along in Matthews. It's definitely a gamble, but I think it's a gamble worth taking.
    Haste likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Trade down in a landslide.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I went with the trade down option, but wouldn't do it for less than extra 1st round picks. Ideally from the Browns, but I'd take future 1st round picks too. Having two 1st round selections 3 years in a row would go a long way toward catching Seattle. Plus it helps keep the cost down given some of the high contracts on the team.

If it's further down than Cleveland I'd want at least a late round pick thrown in (since we've seen what Snead can turn these late round picks into). Dream scenario as other have said is Cleveland, and then either Matthews or trade down again. If I remember correctly, something like 1/3rd or 1/4th of last years picks traded hands, so it doesn't seem like there is a shortage of teams willing to move up. Last year the Dolphins moved up with Oakland when everyone knew Oakland was desperate to trade out of that spot. Dolphins then used the 3rd overall pick to grab a DE who didn't see the field this year.

Point is, I have no idea which team will want the pick, but my guess is that if the Rams want to move down, they'll have a partner or two. If not, or if they're low-balled with the offers, they just stay put and pick Matthews. Rams are really in a win-win position here.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

And I bet those who vote trade say only so far that we still get Matthews (no later than 6 or 8)
    Barry Waller

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    And I bet those who vote trade say only so far that we still get Matthews (no later than 6 or 8)
    Yup, I don't see Matthews falling beyond the 6th pick. The Rams got to at least stay in the top 5

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I don't fall into that camp, if the amount of picks are significantly larger by moving back further, I would consider it. The question becomes how much better is Mathews over the other top tackles? If we could land a elite tackle with our pick at 13, why not cash out the 2nd pick for a maximum return.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I don't fall into that camp, if the amount of picks are significantly larger by moving back further, I would consider it. The question becomes how much better is Mathews over the other top tackles? If we could land a elite tackle with our pick at 13, why not cash out the 2nd pick for a maximum return.
    The problem is defining maximum return. I think fans expectation about the kind of package the Rams might get is inflated after the RGIII trade.

You have to think, Andrew Luck was considered one of these "once in a decade" type prospects, and it was at the most important position in the game. And there were some who felt RGIII was better, which is why he commanded so much interest.

Unless Houston passes on Bridgewater - or unless a team covets and trades up for Clowney - then I don't think the offers are going to be blockbuster ones again. Consider that last year, Oakland traded down from the 3rd pick to the 12th pick and only received a 2nd round choice as compensation.

This idea that we're going to get another future first round pick might turn out to be wishful thinking. So I think the question fans need to start asking themselves, if they're in favor of or even prefer a trade down, is what type of package are they willing to accept and how far are they willing to drop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast